Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AveryMaurice

Odd Doom Drawing

http://www.freakygaming.com/gallery/game_wallpapers/doom/alone_against_the_demons.jpg

Things I noticed about this drawing, done by an unknown artist, are...

- The Doom Marine isn't wearing the usual helmet.
- The Doom Marine has ammunition wrapped around him.
- The Doom Marine isn't wearing the games outfit at all, he looks more like a character from G.I Joe in this drawing.
- The Imp is green.
- The pistol fires a laser? Hard to tell.
- Actually, the pistol also doesn't look anything like the pistol from Doom.
- Something not wrong but kinda cool, is the Cyberdemon near the bottom left of the drawing that's in the fog.

Anything else odd or weird about this, please post.

Does anyone have a source of where this came from or who has drawn it.

It's the cover of the Playstation version of Doom.

Cover art from that time period often had nothing to do with the game. The Wolfenstein 3D box art had a Rambo like character with a bandanna fighting a "Nazi" holding an M16. The demons on the original cover of Doom are not present in the game.

Also it appears that he's holding a shotgun.

Bank said:

Also it appears that he's holding a shotgun.

Oh, I see it. It's an odd angle, but he must be pretty damn strong to be able to fire a shotgun with one hand.

Bank said:

The demons on the original cover of Doom are not present in the game.

Dude, they are obviously Barons. They have the horns, the mouths, the green blood and they also shoot plasma.

Technician said:

Dude, they are obviously Barons. They have the horns, the mouths, the green blood and they also shoot plasma.

And have laser guns grafted onto their arms.

Also, I noticed that Doomguy's haircut gets progressively weirder in the box art. In Doom 2 he has some crazy triangular hedge on the back of his head, on the PSX cover he has two widow's peaks.

Tsk, tsk. Quit knocking the time when video game box art was anything but a pre-rendered modal used in the game. Remember the pixilated garble the artists had to use for reference.

Ragnor said:

Im most disappointed that nobody understands that the Doomguy has gloves, is left handed, and has very hairy arms. Everything else doesnt bother me as much. Am i a bad person?

EDIT: I just noticed that he may be ambidextrous seeing as he fires the shotgun like a right handed but punches with his left... hmmm.

Well he punches left handed, fires a pistol left handed, fires both shotguns and the plasma rifle right handed.

Bank said:

And have laser guns grafted onto their arms.

Only two of them. And you don't run into too many Barons -- not until Doom II at least. Maybe you just happen not to see any of the ones with cybernetic parts. Or it could be a game-ism where there's only one sprite used but you should imagine they all look slightly different. After all, why do all zombiemen have green hair and the same pattern of blood on their uniform?

Technician said:

The shapes of their heads always reminded me of a shaved baboon

Ryathaen said:

After all, why do all zombiemen have green hair and the same pattern of blood on their uniform?

And all of them have shotguns, while the former humans dropping pistol ammunition when dying. ;-)

avery1555 said:

- The Doom Marine isn't wearing the usual helmet.

Neither does he on the Doom2 cover.

avery1555 said:

- The Doom Marine has ammunition wrapped around him.

Just like he do on the Doom2 cover.

avery1555 said:

- The Doom Marine isn't wearing the games outfit at all, he looks more like a character from G.I Joe in this drawing.

He appears to be wearing an armored vest. But no protection on the knees or elbows.

avery1555 said:

- The Imp is green.

That could just be lighting. But most likely it's for aesthetics because the surrounding world is brown.

avery1555 said:

- The pistol fires a laser? Hard to tell.

That's not a pistol, that is a shotgun. And it's not laser, it's a dramatic depiction of the muzzle flare and the projectiles coming out of it.

avery1555 said:

- Actually, the pistol also doesn't look anything like the pistol from Doom.

That's because it's a shotgun.

avery1555 said:

- Something not wrong but kinda cool, is the Cyberdemon near the bottom left of the drawing that's in the fog.

That's a baron.

kristus said:

That's a baron.

I think he's referring to the tiny-tiny figure on the bottom left part of the picture's BG, with a muzzle flash coming from its left arm ;-)

He kinda reminds me of Ash from Evil Dead. Except he does not have a chainsaw (in that picture anyway :P )

The wall textures are BRICKLIT and BRICK5. The ceiling is possibly SLIME15, and the floor, while covered in fog, might be FLOOR7_1. The backround is F_SKY. The enemy to the left is either a Demon or a Baron of Hell. To the right we have a greenish Imp. Behind the marine there is a Lost Soul, and in the backround behind the fog is the Cyberdemon. The DOOM Marine is weilding a shotgun in his right hand. He is wearing a white undershirt and a green vest. There is a projectile flying over his head. What kind it is is shrouded by the DOOM logo, though it is likely a rocket fired from the Cyberdemon. The Doom Marine has a bullet belt strapped to himself; blue or brown eyes; a weird and inexplicable haircut, and a radio strapped to his right thigh. He is wearing green pants, a black belt with a silver buckle, and black boots.

Those are the facts. Speculate away.

Bank said:

Cover art from that time period often had nothing to do with the game. The Wolfenstein 3D box art had a Rambo like character with a bandanna fighting a "Nazi" holding an M16. The demons on the original cover of Doom are not present in the game.

Funny, I was just looking at the cover art of Breath of FIre II last night...

Seriously, is that guy holding the sword supposed to be Ryu? He looks like Rambo. Ryu was a skinny-looking guy with blue hair. Also, Katt looks considerably less furry than in game and is wielding a thin gold rod instead of the sturdy bo staff she uses. Details, details...

Danarchy said:

Seriously, is that guy holding the sword supposed to be Ryu? He looks like Rambo Conan.

Corrected that one for you.

Seeing as i cant closeup can someone tell me what the hell gun is the marine using in the Ultimate Doom cover? Looks like the SS Nazi's gun if ya ask me (MP44 if i remember correctly).

Holy crap thats awesome. Well, its time to start forging the signatures at the bottom. But yeah thats an awesome picture, im gonna bookmark if i decide to draw the Doom logo that detailed.

The signatures aren't forged. It's a scan of a poster. I have no idea whose it is, but if the guy (teapot?) who made the "Page of Doom" site is still alive you can probably ask.

Fairly certain the signatures were printed on the poster. I had one of those posters too and if I recall correctly it had signatures on the bottom too.