Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kristus

Carmack Interviewed

Kotaku posted a brief interview with John Carmack, where they talk about why id no longer widely licenses their engines to the market. The Carmack talks about what would have been necessary to really compete with Epic and why they are no longer doing it.

Gametrailers also managed to have a sit down with Carmack where they got him talking about the past and future of gaming and its controls. Check out the two part interview here: part 1, part 2.

kristus said:

Kotaku posted a brief interview with John Carmack, where they talk about why id no longer widely licenses their engines to the market.

This doesn't have anything to do with their (eventual) policy of releasing them open source, right?

I'm going to miss the days when games were designed for the PC. It just makes me wonder what happened? PC gaming is bigger than it was in the past and Id managed to develop PC-exclusive games (or games ported later as an afterthought) and turn a profit. Why the console focus now?

Maybe I'm getting too old for games :(

Well. Id started as a company working on what they considered was the future. At that time it was the PC. Now as the console market is getting bigger and bigger, they will adapt to that.

Hopefully more hardcore games will come around again.

But the thing is, how long until the PC is completely screwed over by developers who think there's "no money" in it?

... until someone smart comes along and proves them wrong!

Of course that means ditching all the DRM crap that's plaguing modern games so it won't be one of the big companies doing it.

Graf Zahl said:

Of course that means ditching all the DRM crap that's plaguing modern games so it won't be one of the big companies doing it.

This.

I'm kinda glad id didn't go down the same route as Epic and Valve did. Of course, considering I like more of the games put out by id than Epic and Valve, I'll admit I have a slight bias toward id. :v

Intel17 said:

But the thing is, how long until the PC is completely screwed over by developers who think there's "no money" in it?

They already have for some time. PC gaming is dying in respect to new developments. Aside from whatever Blizzard is churning out it's a pretty dead market. It's also why the latest greatest hardware is not much more then "How nice can I make my Crysis look?" Consoles are dictating graphics. Which is why alot of titles which are console ports are still playable on PC hardware that's 5 years old save for a 3, 4, year old GFX card.

Consoles are becoming more and more like specialized gaming PCs with Communist hardware :D Everybody get same Processor, Ram and GFX card.

Intel17 said:

If the biggest players in the industry, for whatever reason, completely "left" the PC scene, that would only create a market and demand for hardcore PC game revival. The PC scene would be composed of heavily PC-ish games created by people tired of "consolitis" looking to seize a pretty large hole in the supply... and MMOs.

Not a bad future, if you ask me. However, that's never going to happen. What's going to happen is multi-plaform releases become the norm, exclusives pretty much disappear, and the stringent old-school developers ride on the PC:HARDCORE GAMING trend as soon as it becomes a profitable phenomenon. A lot of people who coded your favourite pull no punches complex game are still active and wouldn't mind revisit certain design stances.

Anyway, don't blame it on the industry for picking games that are not particularly designed for your tastes or inclinations. I'm the kind of guy who likes real running speeds, full locational damage, survival aspects, no-tutorial one bullet you're dead here's a thousand obscurely described skills games, but I'm perfectly capable of realizing mine is an acquired taste.

In terms of the PC market, there will always be something to play on the PC. As it stands now, (if your not an MMO), pc's tend to get the later releases because companies just assume that when they release for PC, they are opening it up to piracy and loss of profits they would get on console systems.

Besides, so long as there are companies like Epic, Valve and id who release their tech, within a modifiable form, there will always be something great mods to play.

Regarding the interview, I'm hopeful that this is a step toward id finally getting themselves figured out. For as surprisingly disorganized as they've been in recent years, they seem to slowly be getting their goals, size and tech all flowing in the right direction.

Intel17 said:

Why the console focus now?

Harder to pirate, I guess.

Intel17 said:

This happened to the Amiga due to a huge amount of pirated software. PCs didn't even have better hardware. In contrary, the Amiga was pretty advance compared to PCs at the same costs, but there was far less piracy back then.
And nowadays, consoles became more similar to PCs then ever, which should make it pretty easy to port the software to the PC, if they wanted to.

POTGIESSER said:

They already have for some time. PC gaming is dying in respect to new developments. Aside from whatever Blizzard is churning out it's a pretty dead market. It's also why the latest greatest hardware is not much more then "How nice can I make my Crysis look?" Consoles are dictating graphics. Which is why alot of titles which are console ports are still playable on PC hardware that's 5 years old save for a 3, 4, year old GFX card.

Consoles are becoming more and more like specialized gaming PCs with Communist hardware :D Everybody get same Processor, Ram and GFX card.

Yet no game controller could ever beat a person experienced with a mouse online. That's what I love so much about PC! I agree with you!

Actually I'd consider playing consoles if they had a mouse, I hate joystick/pads so much.

Intel17 said:

PC gaming is bigger than it was in the past

WTF? I thought PC gaming had shrunk dramatically ever since the Xbox? PC gaming has been dying out ever since the 2001 recession, even if it is bigger in absolute terms (and it isn't) console gaming has expotentially grown since then.