Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Super Jamie

PrBoom-Plus Demos and Savegames

I'm using PrBoom-Plus to record demos of a longish map with a few hard bits in the middle. A couple of spots are really hard, definitely requiring savegames and multiple attempts.

I've noticed that I am able to save a game and load it within the one demo. This is good for parts where I keep dying, though gets boring to watch if I keep dying alot.

What would be ideal is being able to save the game, then quit and start recording a new demo. I do my usual die-lots failruns, when I get past the tricky bit I can save again then quit and start recording a new demo file which isn't so boring.

I've noticed that if I use -recordfrom old new and I have a savegame in Slot 1, PrBoom puts me at the savegame slot when playing, but when playing back the demo it begins from the Player 1 start and obviously messes up. If I have a savegame in Slot 2 or more, loading behaviour seems inconsistent and confusing.

How do savegames work with demos in PrBoom-Plus? Does -skipsec work with demos with savegames? Beyond sitting there with a stopwatch, how does one count seconds for -skipsec anyway?

Can't reproduce any problems. I've tried about 10 minutes to record (without complevel of course) with saving, loading, quits, "-record" again (in this case prboom will continue from the latest savegame in a demo), "-recordfromto" with and without "-skipsec". Looks like all produced demos are fine.

What steps I should make for creating wrong demo?

P.S.

Super Jamie said:

I use -recordfrom old new

2.2.6.24 from 2005 says
[!] The "-recordfrom" switch is renamed into the "-recordfromto"

2.2.6.24 from 2005 says
[!] The "-recordfrom" switch is renamed into the "-recordfromto"

Ahh, that explains alot! -recordfromto works as expected, as does -record with just the demo name. Thankyou :)

I was reading the Features page at http://prboom-plus.sourceforge.net/features.html which still lists -recordfrom.

Is there any updated documentation on the -Plus features? If not, I'm happy to help (though I can only speak English).

Super Jamie said:

I was reading the Features page at http://prboom-plus.sourceforge.net/features.html which still lists -recordfrom

It is outdated and has no sense. Anyone can rewrite it in English with adding of full list of new features and send me.

Super Jamie said:

Is there any updated documentation on the -Plus features? If not, I'm happy to help (though I can only speak English).

prboom-plus-2.5.0.3-win32.zip\usage.txt?

Super Jamie said:

Stick that usage.txt up there, that's perfect!

Thanks Grazza. It is 2 years old, but it's still perfect.