Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Hellbent

Poison Ivy Remedy?

Just keep the area dry and take a benedrill/aspirin to relieve the itch and pain. I've had some bad before and that's really can be done until the affected area heals.

I've never tried this stuff before but it's worth a try.

Oatmeal creams, hydrocortozine and benadryl. I hada bad reaction to poison oak at one point and it spread EVERYWHERE. No real remedy, but rather temporary reliefs. Keeping it dry and medicated will help get rid of it faster, but as for this I can't say. The remedy you have posted seems more like a "try it and find out" type of product, although this is due to me not really trusting advertisement of products such as this.

However if you feel you want to use it go for it. And then let us know how it works :P

Apply a topical anti-histaminic.

Then drink half a bottle of DXM cough syrup for anesthesia :P

As someone who has spent nearly his entirely life working around trees and in the woods, I can tell you that "calamine lotion" is the way to go to treat poison ivy.

Basically, just use it like 3 times a day and cover wherever you have poison ivy with a ton of it. Done.

Poison Oak > Poison Ivy
West Coast > East Coast

Oh wait, wrong thread.

We don't have poison ivy over here, but I've come in contact with poison oak a few times and didn't develop a reaction. I may have just been lucky, though, so I still try to avoid it as much as possible.

If after about a week you have serious blisters (bigger than 1mm) you should pop them with a safety pin. Have a piece of toilet paper or something to dab up the poison/fluids. Then take a shower.

Zanfel works pretty well, but the whole thing of rubbing it into the poison ivy is too much... only if it becomes unbarable will I reapply. Instead I am holding out on the steroid shot I got today to deliver me from misery. Already the swelling on my eye has gone down.

So is there an exciting story about how you came into contact with the plant?

The pictures of blisters on Google Images and Wikipedia look scary, I can't imagine popping one of those bad boys *shudder*

exp(x) said:

Poison Oak > Poison Ivy
West Coast > East Coast

Word.

Yeah, I've never come up against poison oak before, but I've seen it. Stinging nettles are a big thing around here too, and I have gotten rashes from those. Luckily, dock usually grows nearby them and can be used to make a quick antidote.

No story. Summer finally arrived here in the northeast and last few days at work were very hot and humid. I wouldn't have had to come into contact with much P.I. to have it gorge on my skin in those perfect open pore conditions for it to flourish.

Right before bed the itching kicked up a few notches as it tends to. So I rubbed some more zanfel into my P.I. but ran out and didn't have enough for the back of my left knee, which needed it the most. 6 hours later it's still screaming at me to scratch it. Nope, not gonna do it. It's kinda like being a diabetic locked in a candy shop. Instead of eat and die it's scratch and wish you would die.

i've got a fan blowing on the worst of it. Very nice. I assume it is good for drying out the poison ivy in addition to providing relief?