Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Georgef551

Elevator Fails

Demon Hunter said:

This is the weirdest kink I've EVER seen o.o

But the kinkiest kink you will ever come across. *purr*

Hellbent said:

And fraggle thinks I make unnecessary posts....

I see sooo many nerd-movie posts here, and I think it's dull as all hell, but you know what? That's fine. I just don't bother. To each their own.

Just because there's a different nerd topic doesn't meanit's not valid, even if you don't care for it.

Life's too short to trivialize....

Georgef551 said:

I see sooo many nerd-movie posts here, and I think it's dull as all hell, but you know what? That's fine. I just don't bother. To each their own.

Just because there's a different nerd topic doesn't meanit's not valid, even if you don't care for it.

Life's too short to trivialize....

Sorry to be black for once in my life but...

DAYYUMMMMM HE GOT YOU THAR HOMIE!

But i agree nonetheless.

Breadrobber said:

I'm lost... how are elevators an enthralling topic with it's own community. What the hell do elevator enthusiasts do? Log all the models they see in a book? Someone enlighten me.

I can't get this place to work, but here ya' go:

http://elevprod.com

A community of Elevator Enthusiasts.
================================

rr_r Sayeth:
random:
how many of you have ridden on an elevator in a hospital bed. I have in a hospital after surgery, and it was the coolest ride ever.

Ridden one to surgery, but not in a hospital bed. I bet it's a lot more fun if it's a high-speed elevator.

Super_Jamie Sayeth:
or do you lift guys already have like a wiki for that kinda thing?

http://wiki.elevprod.com/wiki/Main_Page
I butchered some pages. Can't figure out how to add to it. :)

Danarchy,
The Mezzanine level was where surgery is located. Weird place for it.
Also, I did gain weight after a nasty calf injury running up a big hill. Can't seem to win, either. Eat little, no change. Dammit. :( Sucks getting old.

Considering how much of an elevator enthusiast you are, you wouldn't happen to know any places I could get some public domain elevator music, would you?

There are a lot of perverts on the internet, but I never thought any of them would be interested in elevators. I can't think of anything more mundane, except maybe a storm drain fetish.

hmm, let me catch up on the thread, I've been busy watching a nearby storm drain... :P

All joking aside, having an intersest in a little room connected to motors via cables seems to be interesting. They don't do much other than bring you to higher point X or lower point Y. I fail to see why they are so impressive. Even if they do fail in interesting ways sometimes.

I guess it might be a bit strange, but there are a lot of seemingly mundane things for no reason at all grab my attention. I frequently trek around the woods for nature's sake, but in my heart of hearts, my ultimate goal is finding bodies of water of any kind. The supposedly haunted and endless Freetown State Forest being my usual stomping grounds.

There's actually an elevator going to my studio that's quite terrifying. This building used to be a silver mill. The elevator is a polished up freight transport that shakes violently and is more often than not, out of order.

Ed said:

There's actually an elevator going to my studio that's quite terrifying. This building used to be a silver mill. The elevator is a polished up freight transport that shakes violently and is more often than not, out of order.

HURRY! DOOM WAD! Go go go!!

But I do agree with you on that body of water thing. Anything bigger than a pond or the same size as one catches my attention for only God knows why.

See, a body of water is interesting because of the amount of life it supports and harbors. It makes sense for animals to be attracted to it, even humans, and there are a lot of activities that can be done near them, such as fishing, swimming etc.

Elevators usually have a singular, boring purpose: moving something from point A to B. Does the love elevators stop at them, or does it extend to lifts, dumbwaiters or even grain elevators? How deep does the rabbit hole go?

Edit:

Ed said:

Dude, don't say anymore or fiffy will cum all over the thread. Then he'll stalk you and demand to see the elevator and ride on it with you.

Trains are more interesting then elevators though, aren't they? Just thinking about how trains function, their history and the technology they pioneered is more interesting to me then using an elevator.

Snarboo said:

There are a lot of perverts on the internet, but I never thought any of them would be interested in elevators. I can't think of anything more mundane, except maybe a storm drain fetish.

Hey, storm drains can be awesome...

Georgef551 said:

Danarchy,
The Mezzanine level was where surgery is located. Weird place for it.

Yeah, that is pretty weird. Didn't realise it was a hospital, either.

I think my weird obsession is similar to Ed's. I go hiking and like finding cool stuff along the way. I think my greatest find was locating a huge marsh on the edge of the town I grew up in. I never even knew it was there until I was like 20.

I've also done a considerable amount of um..."urban hiking" as well, and finding interesting things that way. New driving routes, hidden-away parks, and interesting architecture. You know, Bremerton has a lot of houses with widow's walks and rooftop porches. I guess that's pretty standard for any port town, though.

Yet another doomworld.com/vb Doomguy. It's like getting poisoned and antidotted by the same person.

And yep, I like both trains and elevators. Is it feasible to replace that one-floor steep stair I have in the house, with an elevator? Elevators rule stairs, for the world.

Elevator spotters: making train spotters seem interesting.

I mean, really, O_o

deathbringer said:

The Japanese for Elevator is Ereebeetaa

A lot of words in modern Japanese are straight anglicisms such as this one.

Yeah i know, i'm trying to learn the language.

On another forum some guy won some slippers in a raffle and was trying to tell his Japanese teacher about it, but didn't know the word for Slippers so called them "Inside house wearing shoes". Then he finally showed them to the teacher who said "oh, Surippa"

Anyway train spotting was probably interesting in the olden days when trains all looked different (well not all of them, but there'd be different "classes" and only about 20 locomotives in a "class") and had thier own names. Nowadays you're looking at mass-produced boxes with serial numbers stamped on the side.

WildWeasel said:

Considering how much of an elevator enthusiast you are, you wouldn't happen to know any places I could get some public domain elevator music, would you?

========================

In use. :) Those things are real death traps! I can see why they're discontinued.
Good idea, bad execution.

When the steam engine was first introduced in coal/copper/tin mines the beams moving up and down were sometimes also used to transport people. They were called "Man engines" and consisted of a long beam with "steps" on it and platforms. As it moved up and down it stopped at a series of "floors" so people had to step on and off in groups and so gradually work thier way down.

Of course such a huge beam needed to be thick to support so much weight, so if it snapped it would drop down into the mine shaft with an almighty crash, wrecking the "floors" and platforms on it and causing all the people using it (which, according to some old reports i've seen in museums, could be upwards of 100 at a time) to tumble to the bottom of the shaft in amongst a heap of splintered wood and wreckage. Now THAT'S a dangerous lift!

Damn, I want to ride a paternoster. Those are one of those things from the old days that make you wonder why they stopped making them. Like dirigibles, automats, velocipedes, and other things with weird names.

Automats got replaced by super-convenient food that has a shelf life of weeks -- and McDonald's.

Dirigibles never totally died, but the giant zeppelins of olde were replaced by much-faster planes.

The 20th century has seen so many technologies replaced (sometimes several times) with things that are cheaper, faster, more efficient, less dangerous, etc. Well, a few of them probably got worse, but honestly most things they don't make anymore don't leave much to wonder. Paternosters are somewhat dangerous; so were hydrogen-filled zeppelins, and so were these. May they rest in peace.

Sometimes apparently boring technologies have surprisingly cool insides.

David_Dweedle said:

Next thing im gonna hear is people who are enthusiastic about Stairs.. good god.. takes many types of ppl to make up the world I guess..

When I was little I was so fascinated by the small bridges in my town that go over the small streams. Something about the green bridge rails which are about 3 feet high and 9 feet long always intrigued me and made me feel happy somehow. Also, the stairs in the old bank that went down in the middle of the floor and had a railing around the 'entrance' to the stairs. I think it was the railings going around the stair entrance that fascinated me. I guess there was something about the barrier function of railings that I really liked. I don't recall having much desire to go down the stairs. It was just how the railing looked enclosing the stair entrance. I suppose the seed for my doom mapping days and my sense of architectural aesthetic was planted at a very early age.