Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Georgef551

Elevator Fails

I personally prefer Escalators... ;)

I usually don't go on elevator's, I'm always thinking that they are going to break, so I hardly ever use them.

Mattfrie1 said:

I usually don't go on elevator's, I'm always thinking that they are going to break, so I hardly ever use them.

Smooch. Smeech. SMOOOOOCHH!!! Elevators only break on tv shows and in movies, so maybe you should work on eradicating these false conceived notions you harbor about the fallibility of elevators.

Hellbent said:

Smooch. Smeech. SMOOOOOCHH!!! Elevators only break on tv shows and in movies, so maybe you should work on eradicating these false conceived notions you harbor about the fallibility of elevators.

I don't think they are bad, I just always think that in the back of my mind whenever I step into one. (Not that they ever will break)

I usually use escalator's because I can get to my destination quicker while using one (that's what usually happens to me). I also don't like getting crammed up next to someone you don't even know in an elevator either. I am claustrophobic to a point, so I guess that's why I never use them.

deathbringer said:

When the steam engine was first introduced in coal/copper/tin mines the beams moving up and down were sometimes also used to transport people. They were called "Man engines" and consisted of a long beam with "steps" on it and platforms. As it moved up and down it stopped at a series of "floors" so people had to step on and off in groups and so gradually work thier way down.

Of course such a huge beam needed to be thick to support so much weight, so if it snapped it would drop down into the mine shaft with an almighty crash, wrecking the "floors" and platforms on it and causing all the people using it (which, according to some old reports i've seen in museums, could be upwards of 100 at a time) to tumble to the bottom of the shaft in amongst a heap of splintered wood and wreckage. Now THAT'S a dangerous lift!

Yeah, the mine shaft elevators are true death traps. Even today, they are no safer than Pre-Otis elevators. Those I wouldn't ride, even if I was paid millions to do it!
=================================

Matfrye Sayeth:

Elevators are the safest modes of transportation possible. You have a 10,000 times better chance of being in a plane crash, than an elevator crash. The only time they totally failed, on record, was when planes hit the buildings they are in. One was obviously 9/11, the other time was when the Empire State Building was hit. One woman survived her 75-story plunge! There's so many safeties on these things, it's just short of impossible to crash.
Worst thing that may happen is getting stuck, and no, you won't run out of air. It gets hot, but they are not airtight.

Georgef551 said:

but they are not airtight.

Good to know, because the ones with automated doors do seem tight, by how they look.

printz said:

Good to know, because the ones with automated doors do seem tight, by how they look.

But along the edges (top, bottom, and definately the sides), there's gaps. If the shaft is lit, you can actually watch your progress (easier with 2-speed doors).
Also remember, there's afan on the ceiling, and above that, a shaft with lots of air. Air always gets in.
I guess those whith claustrophobia, and paranoia, are the ones who think people will sufficate in these things.

The only time this really is a major problem is a glass elevator. If the sun goes through it, worst case scenario is to smash the windows. Those can become ovens when you're trapped, so when it comes to survival, some windows should be broken.

Only here at Doomworld would a thread about elevators attain 3 pages of posts...

My forum for a long time had one registered user (me) but it had once had 5 users online at once due to dodgy cookies as i fiddled about with the admin settings. So it's entirely possible that forum has actually never had more than 4 people on it at once!

pritch said:

I look at this thread and I fucking despair, really I do.

Want to take an elevator ride to make all of those bad feelings disappear? Trust me, once you get on that elevator and press those warm buttons, you'll forget all of your worries. And starve to death.

Ninjalah said:

Want to take an elevator ride to make all of those bad feelings disappear? Trust me, once you get on that elevator and press those warm buttons, you'll forget all of your worries. And starve to death.

Not if you stop for toilet breaks, and food. :)

About those forums: They don't work for me. My account is all screwed up. Can't post a damn thing. Oh well. Believe it or not, no big loss, would like to post at times, tough.

I would like to ride in a chocolate elevator with chocolate buttons.

I can't find a picture or video of the glass elevator blasting out of the factory at the end of the original Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory film.

I'm temping at my mum's work, and the lift there has the same buttons as the big autoclave does to open and close the door.

deathbringer said:

I'm temping at my mum's work, and the lift there has the same buttons as the big autoclave does to open and close the door.

The little black ones, with white engravings inside?
Those are great. Love those old buttons.

Also liked the heat-sensitve ones as well (the ones that work just by touch. Usually had orangy-red halo, square or circular). Problem with those was, fires triggered the buttons, and elevators would go to an engulfed floor, and stay there, as it's always being called. They were replaced quickly in most buildings, after many safety officials got stuck in this manner.

A new building at my university has 4 elevators with Canadian accents.

Yes.

They talk.

Mattfrie1 said:

This is funny because in high school I was involved in a project that involved visiting the mall, and 3 of us decided to do a barbershop trio routine while moon walking on escalators, like we did in a play we had that year. It was a slow day so the mall cop that was there burst out laughing.