Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mkfanatic

Anyone else have this problem with Plutonia 2?

I'm on map 6 of Plutonia 2 and I can't save my game. Every time I try it says SaveGame Buffer Overload or something to that extent. The level doesn't seem to be that big, I don't know why it won't let me save. Anyone know why?

aldiboronti said:

Which port are you using, if any?

If he's running into the savegame buffer limit, you can take for granted he's either using the vanilla exe or Chocolate Doom. (And if I'm not mistaken, there is an option to remove the savegame buffer limit from Chocolate Doom.)

Ah, okay, didn't know that. I had planned on playing Plutonia 2 through a source port, probably prboom, but I kinda forgot to cuz I'm not used to using source ports. I'm already 6 levels in and I really don't wanna restart the game.

Yep, using vanilla on this WAD isn't convenient unless you don't save much, such as when speed running or the like.

If I am not mistaken, the following levels exceed the save game buffer:

06, 11, 17, 18, 20, 21, 22, 26, 29, 32.

Doom95 is a pretty bad choice for Plutonia 2 because, with its lack of DeHackEd support, it doesn't read the new music, automap level names, intermission texts and changed intermission text backgrounds.

Vermil said:

Not nescerilly.

I get reproducible save buffer overrun errors in GZDoom with this recent somewhat infamous map, every time I try to save after about half the monsters are dead:

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=15779

If there's a problem it may be many things - but certainly no savegame buffer overrun. The savegame buffer as in Doom.exe does not exist in ZDoom and its child ports.

Indeed, I am aware of that.

However the fact remains that whatever causes GZDoom to crash when saving past a certain point on the above map, is set to print the same error message as a different crash in Vanilla Doom does.