Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ninjalah

Floating things

I wanted to know how to get a powerup/thing to float like this.

Im using it for an idea to have fans on the ground, and being able yo float up and get the powerup/wep or whatever. Thanks.

EDIT: This is Skulltag's 6th Deathmatch level. The red panel is a spring pad to bounce up to get the Soulsphere. Extra info if ya needed it.

Hm, which config. are you using? Im using Skulltag Doom in Doom format, and i dont see that. Unless it's a scripting thing then in that case... damnit. **

Ah ha. I'll try that now.

EDIT: Well when i try to open the map up in Skulltag (Doom in Hexen Format) or even Zdoom (Doom in Hexen format) It says i can't pick a map name. Any advice?

When you use hexen format you can scroll things up and down like ceiling and floor.
Do you know how to make bouncer?

This isn't really my question. I just need to convert the WAD into Hexen format i think, which i don't know how to do.

Easiest is to copy/paste the layout and things to a new map in doom in hexen format, then redo all the triggers. I'm pretty sure doom in hexen has all the doom in doom triggers, and if not you could revert all the triggers before copying to type 0, then don't save the doom in doom format and translate all the doom in doom triggers to doom in hexen.

Does, in Dehacked, work by modifying the thing to have no gravity and hang from ceiling and placing it in a sector with the desired ceiling height?

If I move that ceiling upward to fit with the surrounding, does the hanger move at all with it? If not, then this may be the way to do floating things.

Thread behind a thread link FTL :P Looks good though, I don't think I'd use it too often myself, would probably use doom in hexen format by default if I ever wanted to use zdoom features.

Yes I've seen the link upwards 3 times now. What I need to know is how to use the damn program. I don't think anyone has explained it all to well yet.

I move that we have Gez's custom title be "The zwadconv guy"

I have never had the need to use zwadconv. Ask Gez.

/facepunch

No no, tis not my question good man. My question is how to work zwadconv. I have it and everything but where do i run the command lines and what not? Evertime i open the program it immediately closes.

Similar to printz's idea, you could make the thing nogravity with dehacked, place it on a small sector with floor equal to the height you want the thing to be, then put walk over lines around a player start that lower the sector.

EDIT: if a thing doesn't have nogravity, it will just drop to the floor when the map starts, even if you use a zheight value in hexen format (I dunno about sector gravity though).

Ninjalah said:

My question is how to work zwadconv.

It looks like you're trying to run zwadconv by double-clicking it - doesn't work that way, you'll have to open a command prompt.

Usage: zwadconv <source.wad> <output.wad>

Assuming zwadconv and your wad (which for argument's sake I'll call DoomInDoom.wad)are in the same folder - to create a Hexen format wad (which I'll call DoomInHexen.wad) what you do is open a command prompt in the folder where zwadconv is located and type in the following...

zwadconv DoomInDoom.wad DoomInHexen.wad

I'm pretty sure you can drag and drop your wad onto the Zwadconv exe and it will automatically convert it too...

I tried the above two and it didn't work. Actually I tried doing command line in Run, which I'm pretty sure isn't the same as command prompt now that i know how to do it. Silly me.

TimeOfDeath said:

you could make the thing nogravity with dehacked, place it on a small sector with floor equal to the height you want the thing to be, then put walk over lines around a player start that lower the sector.

Are you sure? I've seen cacodemons and the ilk move down with the lift at times.

No I wasn't sure. Printz is right, don't listen to me.

Patch File for DeHackEd v3.0
# Created with WhackEd2 0.60 build 214

# General version information
Doom version = 21
Patch format = 6

Thing 56 (Soul Sphere)
Bits = SPECIAL + SPAWNCEILING + NOGRAVITY + COUNTITEM + TRANSLUCENT

Ninjalah said:

I tried the above two and it didn't work. Actually I tried doing command line in Run, which I'm pretty sure isn't the same as command prompt now that i know how to do it. Silly me.

Another way to do it is to create a shortcut to zwadconv.

Then go to the properties for the shortcut, and in the target box, after the "C:\Documents and Settings\blahblah\zwadconv.exe", type zwadconv <source.wad> <destination.wad>.

so in the target box it will look something like

"C:\Documents and Settings\blahblah\zwadconv.exe" zwadconv <before.wad> <after.wad>

I use this method all the time for recording demos etc.

On the topic of shortcuts, is there a way to make prboom name .lmp files sequentially? It's only a couple seconds to change the run box, but still annoying -.-

Not that I know of. On a uvmax run I typically keep re-recording over the same lmp until I beat the map. You could rename the lmp instead or maybe just drop it into a separate folder temporarily so it won't be recorded over I guess.