Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PhilibusMo

Reinstalling Windows help

I have recently needed to reinstall windows on my laptop which had an 80gb harddrive split into two equal partitions. When I reinstalled windows it created a sepearte partition of 4.7GB and made that my C drive, which is practically useless as I can't even fit all the windows updates into that. I have tried many things to fix the problem and a few searches of the internet haven't helped, removing partions and reformatting the space, adding new partitions, etc but can't stop it from making a new partition of 4.7GB every time I reinstall. Idealy I would like to not have to spend any money on fixing this problem, but if there is no other way then I guess I will have to.

Also I realise this probably isn't the most appropriet forum to post this on but this is the only forum i am a member of and I'm not going to sign up to another to post one question.

I've never not had the option of setting the partitions myself during installing Windows. Are you using a full copy of the OS, or is it some stupid recovery disc that the laptop manufacturer gave you?

If you have the space to download and can write and boot a CD/USB stick then GParted should work for you. It's a no install, bootable 'Live Linux'.

Just last year I tried nearly every free disk partitioning software I could find and easily figure out. GP was tops even compared to some paid software. I was never very happy with Norton PartitionMagic 8.0. Since I use Acronis TrueImage for backups in XP I got Acronis Disk Director so I could do partitioning work in XP as well and I think it is about as good as GParted.

Unfortunately, there is probably no way to re-jigger the recovery disk to install the way you want it to. This is the manufacturer's fault. You could probably download an un-cracked copy of XP and use the OEM key that came with your laptop. Be sure it's the same version or the key won't work.

The following method may depend on how the recovery disk is actually implemented, but if it contains a copy of the original windows installation files (and not just a nasty custom image-based install), you could probably use a tool like nLite to create a "real" XP installation disk without all the crap.

If the files are there, then you can config nLite to "pull them out" and build a new bootable image, which you then burn into a CD-ROM. Make sure you configure it to override any existing installation scripts (if that's the way the preset partitioning etc. works).