Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Hellbent

commander keen on 64 bit vista?

My friend has 64 bit Windows Vista operating system and wants to get dos box on it. Is there dos box for 64 bit OSes? Is there another way to get commander keen to run on Vista 64 bit?

Tak

Vista 64 can run 32 bit applications just fine, like any other 64-bit Windows made so far. Only 16-bit compatibility had been removed.

I haven't tried any Keen games with it but I have a Vista 64 bit setup and I use the latest version of DOS Box with it to play a number of games. It works very well with them.

On a semi-releated note, has anyone tried getting C&C or Red Alert (from First Decade, don't know if that makes a difference) running on Windows 7? RA2 is fine, but the earlier ones are being uncooperative.

I'm using TFD on Windows 7 32-bit. I've been able to get Tiberian Sun and up to run just fine. C&C and RA1 work, but the color schemes are screwed up until I alt+tab out and back in. Haven't tried them on 64 bit if that's what you mean.

What exactly is the problem?

No wonder, they are DOS/Win95 hybrids. Your best option is DOSBOXing them, unless you want to keep a Win 98 partition around.

I'm pretty sure it's a 64 one, but it's a friend's comp so I'm not really aware of the specifics. Basically he just gets a black screen when he tries to run them and then the machine locks, regardless of compatibility settings. I'll tell him to give DOSBOX a try.

//edit

DOSBOX says the program can't be run in DOS mode, which is odd. I'm guessing the version that comes with The First Decade pack isn't a DOS one. Going to try dual booting now.

we got it working. There was actually no problem... my friend just wasn't familiar with dosbox. My German friend was born in 1989 but nevertheless was exposed to this game when he was about Billy's age (8) so quite some time after it came out.