Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Devalaous

Monster blood colour

So I was playing Ultimate Torment and Torture (and having my jaw hit the ground repeatedly, holy shit) and one of the small things I noticed was that the hell knight and cacodemon actually bled green and blue blood respectively. It was a little off colour, and there were chunks of gore flying everywhere with it, but it was such a nice change from the constant red

How do I get to do this myself? And also, could the spectre's blood be changed to be like the monster itself? ie, fuzz or translucent, depending on your settings. Just something minor I want to do to enhance overall atmosphere really.

EDIT: Removing blood from the Lost Soul entirely too. That monster doesnt strike me as having ANY blood, unlike the Revenant.

With ZDoom you can edit the monster's behavior with DECORATE to specify the color of the blood sprites. The syntax goes like this:

actor NewCacodemon : Cacodemon replaces Cacodemon
{
  BloodColor blue
}
and to remove blood entirely, use this flag:
actor NewLostSoul : LostSoul replaces LostSoul
{
  +NOBLOOD
}
Getting translucent or fuzzy blood is a slightly more complicated matter:
actor FuzzyBlood : Blood
{
  RenderStyle Fuzzy
}

actor NewSpectre : Spectre replaces Spectre
{
  BloodType FuzzyBlood
}
Hope that helps. :)

Could you please tell me how to make a file with that if its not too much trouble?

I'm new to pretty much every bit of this, haha.

EDIT: how to use it in GZDoom afterwards too would be good :p

You just use XWE or something to create a blank text lump and rename it to DECORATE. Then put in the "code" into that lump and save. ZDoom and ports that support DECORATE will automatically pick up on the lump.

So I make a new file in XWE, name it DECORATE, then copy that code above?

Just like MAPINFO then I guess. Thanks

EDIT: What do I write for the Baron and Hell Knight? I'm assuming HellKnight and BaronOfHell.

EDIT2: Yeah, that worked. The Cacos and Barons bleed right, and the lost souls show bullet puffs

The spectres still bleed red though :{

EDIT3: Correction, the spectre's blood sprites are fuzzy, but the particles and blood splatter on nearby walls are still red. Anyway to change that?

You can't change the look of particles. Yet.

However, you can try adding -ALLOWPARTICLES to the blood actor, which will force the actor to never be replaced by particles.

Ah, so I can remove the particles from it getting shot, but keep them for everyone else, thus keeping my current settings (particles is very handy for knowing your hitting something)

I suppose -ALLOWDECALS disables blood splatter too, or is it something else/not possible?

EDIT: Apparantly not.
EDIT2: And the -ALLOWPARTICLES didnt work. Bugger.
EDIT3: I tried a different approach; setting it's blood colour to black. Works okay, but its basically darker than the monster itelf, ha. So it seems I keep it like this, change blood to sprites only, or find a way to make blood decals and particles never show up for the spectre.

EarthQuake said:

You just use XWE or something to create a blank text lump and rename it to DECORATE. Then put in the "code" into that lump and save. ZDoom and ports that support DECORATE will automatically pick up on the lump.

You don't even need to bother with a lump editor: you can just call load it as a text file. I keep in my Doom folder files named "decorate.wad" and "mapinfo.wad" which aren't wads, but really text files. (The extension is just for convenience of right-click -> open with.) I use them to test snippets of code quickly, no need to fire up slumped or something else, just my favorite text editor.

I suppose there is a way to change the blood color for custom monsters as well. How would you write that?