Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
trooper077

Good Graphic Novels?

That's basically all a graphic novel is. A fancy comic book.

Akira was pretty good, though I still have to finish reading all of them. Lone Wolf and Cub is also a very good series, though it's more like manga. Actually, I could list a bunch of manga that I suggest, though I don't know if that's what you would be after.

Nomad said:

That's basically all a graphic novel is. A fancy comic book.

Hey! Watch it. I suppose that's true, but the term "comic book" carries certain connotations that better graphic novels do not deserve.

Anyways, while we're listing classics, someone obviously has to recommend Maus.

Much more obscure, but good evidence that a graphic novel can be more than trumped-up superhero fluff, I was recently given "a comic strip biography" of Louis Riel, a rather significant historical figure for Manitobans like myself. Its quick and clean narrative is well complimented by simple art, reminiscent of that in Tin Tin comics (another classic).

Not a huge fan of comics, but The Dark Knight Returns was amazing. The new Batman series is kind of going down the right path for it, and I hope they do eventually make it into a movie. They'll have to soldier on without Heath Ledger, though. They'll also have to do a Superman/Batman crossover first for it to make any sense.

Batman: The Killing Joke is good.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/index.html?curid=524986
Dark Knight is kinda based on this graphic novel

Other then that, perhaps see stuff by Simon Bisley. He did work for batman, Judge Dredd, Heavy Metal Magazine and the Turtles.

For more artistic graphic novels see Frans Masereel. He made novels using black in white drawing without using words.
http://www.nebulous-cargo.com/masereel/

Lynd Ward is another b/w wordless artist that was highly influenced by Masereel. he made "Gods' Man" and "Madman's Drum".

Yet another wordless graphic novel is "the System" written by Peter Kuper.

For more sci-fi stuff check stuff made by Moebius.

Sin City. Preacher. Sandman.

Also, I can strongly recommend pretty much Judge Dredd epic up until the late 90's; in particular The Cursed Earth, The Day the Law Died/Judge Caligula, Dredd vs Death, The Judge Child, Apocalypse War, Oz, Necropolis, Tales of the Dead Man, America, Judgement Day, Mechanismo, Wilderlands, and The Pit. The only two I'd really recommend post-2000 are Total War and Origins.

I can suggest the Dark Tower comics. I have the first Hardcover collection, The Gunslinger Born, and it's brilliant. Some really great art in there, and a nice new angle on the story.