Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Breadrobber

Scariest DOOM experience

DOOM is 16 years old, has no ambience in vanilla ports, uses static lightmaps, and isn't even true 3D, but let's all face it: we've all had at least one terrifying moment while playing this game (I have had lots). Don't be shy, share with us the moment that made you piss your pants while playing a game from 1993.

My scariest moment:
http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/6263/screenshotdoom200908262.png

Breadrobber said:

DOOM is 16 years old

We have yet to reach its 16th birthday

Breadrobber said:

has no ambience in vanilla ports

Monster idle sounds are enough

Breadrobber said:

uses static lightmaps

It doesn't use lightmaps at all. Quake introduced those. Plus, there's plenty of flickering and animated lights in many places.

Breadrobber said:

and isn't even true 3D

The only fact that's right.

Breadrobber said:

Don't be shy, share with us the moment that made you piss your pants while playing a game from 1993.

Your screenshot is a Doom 2 shot which is a game from 1994.

The horror of crushed enemies in e2m2.

Probably E3M7 had a despairing atmosphere, with all the oppresive texturing, total lack of sky or familiar techbase and topped by the maze you have to hurry within.

E2M9 was a dead-end shock and I had to give up playing E2 due to it. I'm glad that the next time, I didn't accidentally find the secret exit again. I was kinda disappointed to find out that E2M9 was really just a secret level, not an alternate route (due to how it looked on the automap, I thought that it's actually Tower of Babel from another angle!)

E3M7 was nice indeed, nice atmosphere. But I mostly remember when I first got to E1M8. The way that map begins and the music the plays really made that "everything is doomed" feeling for me. It is a great atmosphere. Also the ending of that map (teleporting to hell) was great. It wasn't really scary, but a bit epic and fits the game perfectly.

Scary things? I think some dark places and the archvile appearing in MAP11.

I guess all that really comes to mind as far as being scared in anyway was the sound that imps would make when they scratch you. It was a terrifying sound to hear when you are 7 years old and one of them sneaks up on you (or a Hell Knight/Baron of Hell for that matter).

Definitely the first time I played Tower of Babel and heard the Cyb alert sound and then the stomping. So much stomping.

That door on the Entryway up the lift with the imp behind it, it suddenly shot open and gave me a fright once, because I was feeling so relaxed and my mind was elsewhere. I can honestly say I have never had a true 'scary' moment in Doom since I have learnt how it all operates, now it feels so clinical, lol.

My first experience with Doom was on the N64. My buddy used to have an N64, but he wasn't allowed to play his older brother's games that were rated "M." It was our forbidden fuit of videogames. We ended up stealing it from him and taking turns playing Doom64 in the basement with the lights out. I remember I about shit myself when that first lift lowered and we had a pinky staring us in our faces. Kinda scary for two 9 year olds in a dark basement. We managed to make it through level 03. The cacodemons looked so scary.

I had nightmares from it :P

leileilol said:
Monster idle sounds are enough

Indeed, more would break the game's neat functional minimalism. Additionally, there's music to set the mood of each level.

As for the topic, to quote an old post of mine:

I was in a rather dark map and as I walked off a set of stairs a Demon grunted in my face out of the shadows. I literally dropped the keyboard on my lap!

Not in the original game, but the first time I encountered a BFG trooper in STRAIN.WAD. That made me jump out of my skin.

I don't think Doom ever really "scared" me, but I do still get a jump every now and then when I turn a corner to find myself staring down the toothed end of a demon.

Yeah, I don't think Doom has ever really scared me either except when Revenant rockets suddenly hit the back of my head.

Well... Happy Time Circus freaked me out...

Breadrobber said:

DOOM is 16 years old, has no ambience in vanilla ports, uses static lightmaps, and isn't even true 3D...

Judging from this statement alone there's no possible way my experiences with the game will have any meaning to you, and there's no way the game will have the same impact on anyone of your 'gaming' generation. Sorry, that's just how it is.

The closest I ever got to being truly scared in Doom was the first time I reached the end of E1M8. Not knowing about the whole "exit when you die" business, I just freaked right the hell out because there were monsters everywhere that I couldn't see and I was rapidly taking damage. Of course, once the end screen came up I realized what was going on, and that never worked on me again, but I just remember frantically shooting in the dark and desperately trying to get out of there.

Fucking Revenants. There is nothing scarier to me than wandering down a dark corridor and suddenly hearing that "AAARRRRGHHH!".

Mr. Freeze said:

Fucking Revenants. There is nothing scarier to me than wandering down a dark corridor and suddenly hearing that "AAARRRRGHHH!".

Or that pale naked body of an Archvile, you see his idle pixels, you don't know how you're going to take him out yet. This happens to me when i can see his arms moving up and down behind the next corner, and there is no cover.

How about the first time you see the Spider Mastermind/Cyberdemon combo in Doom II? (Can't remember which map it was, in the lower 20's)

Use3D said:

... there's no way the game will have the same impact on anyone of your 'gaming' generation. Sorry, that's just how it is.

I take offense to that. I'm part of the current teen gamer generation, and myself and a few close friends enjoy doom very much.

Use3D said:

Judging from this statement alone there's no possible way my experiences with the game will have any meaning to you, and there's no way the game will have the same impact on anyone of your 'gaming' generation. Sorry, that's just how it is.

Elitist. But Doom indeed has no ambient sounds (duh), the light system appears rudimentary (but it HAS diminishing, unlike Quake), and it's not true 3d.

Use3D said:

Don't group everyone together based on one's views.

I'd say, every time I play E1M(3 is it? maybe 5, not sure offhand) with the maze area with the flashing lights, well I run through it as fast as I can because it's really quite scary :P

E1M8 is the most brilliant level in the entire series in my opinion. The music just sets such a tone of dread, the demons all trying to take you out to start just getting you tense, and then the baron alert sounds just makes me jump every time I hear it.
End it with a death every time just to prove that there is no escape.
It's my favorite level.

As for 'surprise' scary... Anytime I play a new wad and a cyberdemon is right behind the door I opened I usually jump. Revenants utterly piss me off and everytime I hear their sounds it makes me dread.

Use3D said:

I'm old school. From your generation of gamers. Though I do enjoy newer games, most cannot match up to the games from the 90's. DOOM, Starcraft, and Half-Life is where it's at!

Breadrobber said:

I'm old school. From your generation of gamers. Though I do enjoy newer games, most cannot match up to the games from the 90's. DOOM, Starcraft, and Half-Life is where it's at!

Sorry, pal, you can't claim to be "old school" if the games you play were released before you were born.

*goes back to playing Space Invaders in a strange bout of hypocrisy.*

Hold on, almost done...

*shakes wee wee*

Okay. Anyway, I was frightened when I saw the Cacodemon and Cyberdemon for the first time. I remember shooting wildly into the cage in E2M3, wondering "Is it dead yet?" And, of course, when presented with a room full of rockets, you're not going to want to meet what's outside.

I don't get what old school is supposed to mean.

I do play a lot of old games, even if I didn't play them in their time. I can't believe I missed out on System Shock 2 and the Thief games, man, they are amazing.

Somehow, I doubt that makes me 'old school'.

DuckReconMajor said:

Okay. Anyway, I was frightened when I saw the Cacodemon and Cyberdemon for the first time. I remember shooting wildly into the cage in E2M3, wondering "Is it dead yet?" And, of course, when presented with a room full of rockets, you're not going to want to meet what's outside.

I almost jumped out of my chair the first time I saw it. Although the Lost Soul was the first new enemy I encountered when I first played the registered version, I just laughed at it.