Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Enjay

Romero Killed (Picture)

Made you look huh?

However, the title is what the topic is about. I read this on Wikipedia:

During this time [Daikatana development period - Enjay], Romero was also rumored to have been killed (aptly enough, with a headshot) and a photograph of his corpse with a bullet wound was also spread through the Internet; Romero himself later stated that the picture was taken for Texas Monthly, and that "maybe he shouldn't have taken it".

So, anyway, this is the first time that I have heard of this particular incident and I wondered if anyone knew anything more about it or even had a copy of the pic. Apparently my Google skills fail it.

I've heard of it as well, but I have not been able to find the picture myself

EDIT: Posting this from the linked article below:
john.jpg

Anyone tried asking Romero himself? He's a pretty open guy with the community, unless I'm mistaken.

Enjay said:
So, anyway, this is the first time that I have heard of this particular incident and I wondered if anyone knew anything more about it or even had a copy of the pic.

I've heard about this before, so my first thought upon reading the title was "Again!?"

I haven't seen the picture, though. I think there might have been a blurb about it in Masters Of Doom...

And the picture had a message written in a strange font:

"John Romero is about to make you his bitch.

Suck it down."

I've heard of this a while back and I did eventually find the picture. It's a portrait of him apparently laying of the floor, looking straight at him, you can see him from the shoulders up. His long hair kinda spread on the floor, eyes closed, and a large dark hole (about the size of a powerade bottlecap) directly in his forehead. It's a little frightening.

I'll see if I can find it again.

CODOR said:
I think there might have been a blurb about it in Masters Of Doom...

I didn't find anything, but I did find one about the first time he died. A rumor ran through newsgroups about him crashing his Ferrari and dying in late '95.

The truth is, Romero respawns after he dies.

Did an extensive search for it. No luck.

Maybe Carmack would know, he has posted on Doomworld not too long ago..

I saw the thread title, I was creeped, then I clicked and I thought "naah, it's an artwork custom sprite depicting the Romero-head" and saw that it was still about Romero.

But if it was a joke, then fine.

myk said:
I didn't find anything, but I did find one about the first time he died.

I finally found it about 90% of the way through Chapter 14 ("Silicon Alamo", on page 259 in my edition of the book):

David Kushner wrote:
Another death rumor surfaced. This time it came after a photo of Romero in a morgue with a bullet hole in his head leaked onto the Web. Gamers joked that he'd killed himself after losing a Quake game to Carmack. But when a gaming magazine online issued -- and later retracted -- a report that "sources at Ion Storm" confirmed Romero's demise, gamers went ballistic. Still reeling from the bitch ad, they resented what seemed to be another publicity stunt -- despite the fact that the leaked photo had actually come from an upcoming Texas Monthly magazine article about Ion Storm.

I almost want to shoot him to make off with that Quake necklace.

Mr. Chris said:

Maybe Carmack would know, he has posted on Doomworld not too long ago..

I think he got what he wanted already. That or your posts make him uncomfortable.

DuckReconMajor said:

I think he got what he wanted already. That or your posts make him uncomfortable.

I doubt that John Carmack will return to this place again... except if there will be another classic doom on some thing.