Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Whoo

TNT 2: Devilution (Texture Pack in OP)

I understand that but, though I may be reading this wrong, there are going to be two areas involving battles with monster spawners. Won't they fire at the previous/next area?

The spawners will all be in one room, and will not be used in the last area (I guess I could've been clearer on that).

So final area with boss will be when all monster spawners are disabled?

About what is hard or impossible: my actual idea was just posibillity of choice: either you screw romero head with your weapon or... shot hidden switch somewhere activating crusher above that romero head, just make sure that crusher will move slow, then floor moves towards now open fake "exit area" - at that time level should end along with crushed romero head.

Like TNT, boss shooting point would be put strategically, so you need rise something to get up where you can reach him. D2/PL style lift is unnecesarry, just good place to aim. What about some kind of huge bunker/cannon with window. Below is only fake wall part passable by player bullets so it's like you loading shell into cannon to fire it.

Alternatively, for the fourth act of the map it could be the tried and true, pull the switch after beating the boss and gtfo in x amount of time, or else you go boom. Should be easy to implement on map30.

TheMionicDonut said:

Alternatively, for the fourth act of the map it could be the tried and true, pull the switch after beating the boss and gtfo in x amount of time, or else you go boom. Should be easy to implement on map30.

thats sounds like a good idea to me

TheMionicDonut said:

How? While technically I'm not a mapper of this game I can think about game limitations and engine things. So, what is beating the boss for you? Complete defeat? This ends the level no matter what. You can code some things in DeHackEd but even that has some limits.

i'm not entirely familiar with how the icon of sin functions, and i may be misinterpreting donut, but wouldn't it be possible to have the boss a commander keen thing (if it's a boss brain that gets shot; or even maybe it could be turned into an animated monster but still retain its code pointer to lower floor 666 or whatever it is), which opens up a path, and once the doomguy sets foot on said path, a crusher starts lowering down to a voodoo doll.

I'm not sure this would work but you could press a switch withen the skull that starts a crusher above a voodoo doll. It would also open a door that when passed over stops the voodoo crusher and starts a new crusher that crushes the icon of sin. That way it would be a timed escape.

Making the level kill you shortly after you kill the boss is possible (with Tango's idea), but the problem I see there would be the player's health. If it's low there is no way you would be able to give the player enough health to get to the exit if they're far away.

How about this: when you kill the boss, you go down with it, and the demon stays where it is; it doesn't teleport like at the end of the original TNT.

Okay, I read Tango's post wrong. Doing what Tango said is possible, and making a platform crush a voodoo would work as a cheap timer.

Tango said:

i'm not entirely familiar with how the icon of sin functions, and i may be misinterpreting donut, but wouldn't it be possible to have the boss a commander keen thing (if it's a boss brain that gets shot; or even maybe it could be turned into an animated monster but still retain its code pointer to lower floor 666 or whatever it is), which opens up a path, and once the doomguy sets foot on said path, a crusher starts lowering down to a voodoo doll.

Thats about the gist of it. And dropping a crusher on some barrels near a voodoo doll would also suffice.

to slightly remedy the fact that the player would get an unknown amount of time that they can't see, perhaps along the escape path could be (very tall, no doubt) pillars that lower from the same height as the crushing ceiling, so the player at least has a gauge. so when the pillars lower all the way, that is the point the crushing ceiling has reached the player. a crude countdown clock, basically

Or time it out and have a warning posted somewhere in the map. TUD's map in CC1 executes this well.

Started work on my map but I will take it slowly and steadily. Its gonna be a mixed base with some underground areas.

...ATTENTION...

Alright everyone.

I have just send out the current version of the TNT2 texture pack to all of the listed mappers on the first page of this thread. (except savman712 on map 29. Can't find that user handle anywhere. Anyone?)

So if you are mapping for this and haven't got a PM from me, then could you either PM me or post here and I will get it sent to you.

And if you are not a mapper, but would like to look at the texture pack or the big pile of additional textures that could potentially be in the texture pack, then also PM me and I will send it to you.

Thanks guys. :)

Hi, I just downloaded your wad and playing it, I find your work really great, though, is it normal that the music loop in map 2 leaves a very long blank?

Oh, and if you need help in creating some soundtrack, I am a bit busy but I guess I could compose one or two midi tracks during my free time.
Good luck for finishing this megawad!

Is there will be any bonus/standalone maps? For example tribute map33 in PL2 or credits map in Eternal Doom 3. Like that additional map slot by Kyka and xenonemesis for ep2 not fitting because all slots for that episode were full after Xaser map.

valkiriforce said:

Nice, I see after Reverie and Eternally Yours you really made progress in your mapping skills. ;-)

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

I have just send out the current version of the TNT2 texture pack to all of the listed mappers on the first page of this thread. (except savman712 on map 29. Can't find that user handle anywhere. Anyone?

Awesome!!! =D

Too bad I need re-add all the new textures I made for my map. :(

I do enjoy organic hell type maps a lot (see 32in24-9 map35 and to an extent 32-11 map33), and would like to venture more into that in part 2 map30 if there is no hurry/nobody else severely wants it. I do enjoy visceral hell and there are too many sp_ textures to just pass up/do justice in map28, which is more stone and tech than brains and flesh.

Speaking of...Map 28 had large amounts of progress today.

My MAP32 contribution has entered into the testing phase. When I'm satisfied with it I'll send it to the testers. The map is called Galapagos by the way.

As for SS Nazi monster spawners how about making sprites like these Holobots from S.T.R.A.I.N. but with sad male demonic faces? Main, master monster spawner can have enraged female face with three eyes surrounded by purple rings with claws.

Ok. Have posted all the mappers an updated version of the texture pack. (Version 27) If you are a mapper and didn't get this, post here or PM me. Cheers guys.

And props to lupinx-kassman for pointing out a couple of the (now fixed) errors in the texture pack. Thanks man, nice work.

Also, screenies from my final TNT2 map. Have managed to keep it under vanilla limits so far. Well except I made the savegame buffer cry.

i've started a map fyi. i also really love the texture pack. so many good textures, not enough map to use them all :(

the shots look really fantastic btw!

how does one test the save buffer. I forgot to account for that as I have never done a late level map for vanilla.

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

Also, screenies from my final TNT2 map. Have managed to keep it under vanilla limits so far. Well except I made the savegame buffer cry.

TheMionicDonut said:

how does one test the save buffer. I forgot to account for that as I have never done a late level map for vanilla.

Ignore the savegame buffer limit, as chocolate-doom allows you to disable it.

I have made changes to the switch textures SW1/2COMM and minor changes to SW1/2SLAD so if you were working with an old version of the texture pack (ie before a week or so ago) then could you check these textures if you have used them in your map, as the realignments in the TEXTURE1 lump might potentially have borked the switch alignment in a your maps.

(SW1/2COMM are now 128 units high rather than being only 72 units high. I thought this would give more flexibility with the use of that switch. And the SLAD switches have only been moved by a couple of units as I made a different SLAD backing.)

Thanks guys.

Tango said:

i've started a map fyi. i also really love the texture pack. so many good textures, not enough map to use them all :(

the shots look really fantastic btw!

Thanks Tango. :D

TheMionicDonut said:

DeepSea could tell you the size of the savegame file for a given level, though I can't get it to run on my system anymore.

Failing that, you can always do the time honored method of running a level in Chocolate Doom, and then saving it, and if your game freezes, you kinda know that you are over the savegame limit. :P

I am glad we have decided to bypass the savegame limit though. There are a lot of levels that are already over the limit anyway.