Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Whoo

TNT 2: Devilution (Texture Pack in OP)

purist said:

HELP!

I've hit a problem with my map. I can't test my map in Chocorenderlimits or Chocolate Doom as it crashes with a "R_TextureNumForName: XX not found" error. Where XX is there are two squares, which is preventing me find/replacing in Doombuilder. The textures I'm using are as follows:

Did you use XWE at any point?

This can be cleaned up with a hex editor.

It worked fine the last time I worked on it and I've not done anything exotic with it since (including XWE).

If I PM you the map would you be able to fix it? Or is the problem more likely to be in the texture wad? If so I'll delete and re-download it to see if that helps.

purist said:

HELP!

I've hit a problem with my map. I can't test my map in Chocorenderlimits or Chocolate Doom as it crashes with a "R_TextureNumForName: XX not found" error. Where XX is there are two squares, which is preventing me find/replacing in Doombuilder. The textures I'm using are as follows:

*textures*

Please can someone help me here? Also, I've still not been able to get it load it in PRBoom+ either, which will cause me problems when I'm testing gameplay.

Try fixing it in a hexeditor like Gez said. If it doesn't work, or you're not sure how to, try re-downloading the texture pack.

I've just tried redownloading the texture pack with no joy. Not sure where to start with a hex editor but I'll see what I can do.

@lakisoft, the wad is supposed to be vanilla compatible just like the original.
I think I will let purist have the slot for himself now, I have too many other things to get sorted, some doom some other personal life issues. I think map25 is in safe hands though :). I might work the map at some point and release it after the release of this wad (maybe). Of course if anyone is interested in what I have made so far and want to continue it themselves or just general interest etc. Then I could pm it to any interested parties if needs be.

purist said:

I've just tried redownloading the texture pack with no joy. Not sure where to start with a hex editor but I'll see what I can do.

If you don't know how to proceed, you can upload the map somewhere and let someone take a look.

But if you want to try, export the SIDEDEFS lump from the wad, open it in a text editor. Notice the pattern: each sidedef is 30 bytes long, so you'll see (in the text column part of the hex editor) texture names displayed about every two lines, shifted back by two bytes each time. (Or, if your hex editor allows to change the line width, you can set it to 30 bytes so the names will be aligned.)

Look through these lines to notice garbage characters, and replace them with 00 in the hex value column.

purist said:

I recommend just uploading it then. Gez or I should be able to fix it.

LakiSoft said:

This project are designed for modern source ports only.

wat

purist. Something that has worked for me in the past: copy your map and paste it into a new DB2 window.

Soz dubbl post.

Ok Texture pack stuff.

NEW VINES.

NEW CRATES.

purist said:

HELP!

I've hit a problem with my map. I can't test my map in Chocorenderlimits or Chocolate Doom as it crashes with a "R_TextureNumForName: XX not found" error. Where XX is there are two squares, which is preventing me find/replacing in Doombuilder.[/B]

Doombuilder will ocasionally replace the name of a texture on a random linedef with such garbage when saving.

ZDoom prints the name and linedef numbers of unknown textures in the console. You can do a linedef number search in Doombuilder.

Or:

Doomsday doesn't print the linedef number, but it prints the name of the unknown texture into both the console and also it's out file; you can copy and paste the name from the out file into Doombuilders find dialog to find it.

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

NEW VINES.

The green edges are still there. That's what's making the texture suck. It's not screaming "these are vines", but rather, "I had some shitty anti-aliasing that won't go away". They were never vines, and they reeeeeally don't look like them. It seriously needs to be fixed one way or the other. :(

[EDIT] Here, just a simple find+replace on that ugly green shade makes it a jillion times better:

Could still use some touch-ups and detail, but it's a start. It'd be better to find/commission a proper vine texture if one really wants them to be vines.

Thanks for everyone's advice on the the texture error, I managed to fix it by amending the LINEDEF lump in XWE. Never seen anything like it before.

I'm taking a break from the map for one week as I feel like I've hit a creative wall and I've been neglecting Hadephobia but I am not far from being able to upload my first draft for playtesting so don't worry about it getting stuck in limbo.

cannonball said:

@lakisoft, the wad is supposed to be vanilla compatible just like the original.

To be completely specific, it's a Chocolate Doom WAD--I really doubt anybody's playtesting with vanilla under DOSBox, and several levels break the savegame buffer (something you can fix in Chocolate). I know I do all my testing in Chocolate, as that appears to be the target platform.

As for the vine texture, it's simply too low-resolution for tiny details like those leaves. You'll either need to make much larger vines with larger, more distinguishable leaves on it, or drop the foliage entirely.

Megamur said:

As for the vine texture, it's simply too low-resolution for tiny details like those leaves. You'll either need to make much larger vines with larger, more distinguishable leaves on it, or drop the foliage entirely.

That's not really the problem at all. It's just a really badly-made texture. Doom's palette has more than enough greens that vines don't need to be represented by 1-pixel specks of a single shade of bright green dotted randomly around the edges of a dark brown texture.

I know it's aesthetically questionable but this can't be such barren like Xaser posted. While I'm not completely into Kyka version I consider it as a lesser evil.

The ugly green dots on the edges are an artifact of palettizing from a source that was antialiased on a cyan backdrop. They're not supposed to represent anything, or even be there. It's a barbed wire texture, not vines.

Ok. Here is the deal with the vines. These two are the ones that are staying as is. To date, I have changed the pillar to something that looks decent, recolored the vines themselves so they are no longer grayscale, and added extra colors to the green leafy parts.

In the end, I wanted a texture that was improved, but still carried a strong resemblance to the original. So, unless someone else does a newer, more improved version of the original, then this one is staying in the pack as it is. It isn't perfect, obviously, but I actually think it looks decent enough for use.

Now that said, if anyone who has more skill at working with 'organic' textures than me (soooo, pretty much everyone) wants to have a shot at doing another vine/barbed wire/creeper plant/trellis/whatever the hell it is, then by all means, I am more than happy to incorporate another texture into the pack.

Xaser, I actually kinda like yours. I will tinker with it, though no promises that it will wind up in the texture pack. (And by this I mean: I can't promise that I will be able make it look any better than it is now. :)

[edit]

Thoughts?

You keep calling those vines. They're not vines. Not only is the texture called DOBWIRE but the original texture is metal gray excluding the horrible green dots everywhere.

The new variant looks like dead ivy wrapped around an old wooden fence, and isn't too bad. Problem is, if the originals are going to be retconned into vines (which isn't that big a deal since the wad's got DOBWIRE3 anyway), some additional work needs done on 'em so it looks like foliage rather than an aliasing error.

Tarnsman said:

You keep calling those vines. They're not vines. Not only is the texture called DOBWIRE but the original texture is metal gray excluding the horrible green dots everywhere.

We all know they were barbed wires in TNT, it's just more reference to classic and nostalgia with all bugs and quirks that some of us still love and consider them as an iconic in original game. So yeah, they are re-imagined to vines to keep that old feel (as much as they were low quality in TNT but kept resemblance to vines more than what they really supposed to be - barbed wires).

Xaser said:

The new variant looks like dead ivy wrapped around an old wooden fence, and isn't too bad. Problem is, if the originals are going to be retconned into vines (which isn't that big a deal since the wad's got DOBWIRE3 anyway), some additional work needs done on 'em so it looks like foliage rather than an aliasing error.

I agree with what you are saying Xas. But I also know my limits. I doubt I am going to be able to make that foliage look like, well, foliage, and over and above that, still have it bear any resemblance to the original. So this is a spirit-is-willing-but-flesh-is-weak kind of deal on my part.

So while I agree with your suggestion, I feel that someone else is gonna have to step up and work some barbed-wire-based miracles here. I feel I have done a decent job on improving the texture overall, (though not oaccording to the comments in general,) but it will take someone really good to take it to that next level.

Tarnsman said:

Bear in mind that I have been playing tnt for 15 years, and they have always been vines to me throughout that whole time. And even when I got into editing and saw that they were called DOBWIRE, to me, the 'wire' aspect was just some sort of loose trellis-framework on which the vines themselves were hanging. They might technically be barbed wire textures, but they sure look like vines to me, and vines they probably will remain. :(

Incidentally, I love your mapping, and have played through your Doom2 're-imagined' wad a number of times.

GBT3 said:

We all know they were barbed wires in TNT, it's just more reference to classic and nostalgia with all bugs and quirks that some of us still love and consider them as an iconic in original game. So yeah, they are re-imagined to vines to keep that old feel (as much as they were low quality in TNT but kept resemblance to vines more than what they really supposed to be - barbed wires).

Precisely.

I hope there will be some maps similar in style of MAP04, MAP06, MAP07, MAP09, MAP10, MAP12, MAP14, MAP16, MAP17, MAP20, MAP21, MAP22 (yes, I am one of those few people who played Habitat and liked it), MAP24, MAP26, MAP27, MAP29. As you can see there is no Casali's maps on the list. Well, while they were TeamTNT members, I don't consider them as TNT style, just spin-offs. Also Plutonia has many maps which in my eyes weren't classic and unique enough to be part of any IWAD (quality design yes, gameplay and atmosphere no).

LakiSoft said:

This project are designed for modern source ports only.

No. No it isn't.

Anyway, I think it might be better if that vine texture is used as barbed-wire. Would save a lot of trouble. If vines were needed, would it not be best to create a whole different texture for them?

Just a quick update, 55 - 60 percent done the layout of MAP 22

ETA - A couple days on layout another week on choreography / game play I could be done sooner but need to balance time between other projects as well.

One request - A different version SUPPS32W turned 90 degrees please.

GBT3 said:

I hope there will be some maps similar in style of MAP04, MAP06, MAP07, MAP09, MAP10, MAP12, MAP14, MAP16, MAP17, MAP20, MAP21, MAP22 (yes, I am one of those few people who played Habitat and liked it), MAP24, MAP26, MAP27, MAP29. As you can see there is no Casali's maps on the list. Well, while they were TeamTNT members, I don't consider them as TNT style, just spin-offs. Also Plutonia has many maps which in my eyes weren't classic and unique enough to be part of any IWAD (quality design yes, gameplay and atmosphere no).

I have only seen around half of the maps.

But I have done a map based loosely around wormhole - map 04 (Which I have just decided to call 'wormhold'.)

Lupinx Kassman was working on a map that is similar in general style to 'stronghold' - map 09

Xaser is doing a map which he has mentioned is based around Steelworks (map 14) and also Dead Zone (map 15)

Mp map 29 is inspired by maps 20 and 21 and 27 (my 3 favorite maps in tnt) but I admit it doesn't look much like them. Just inspired by the epicness of those two levels.

And one of whoo's maps looks like a mix of map 10 and 17.

Mionic has a couple of maps that has parts from several of the maps from 20 onwards.

And that is just off the top of my head.

Plenty more where that came from I am sure.

Eris Falling said:

Anyway, I think it might be better if that vine texture is used as barbed-wire. Would save a lot of trouble. If vines were needed, would it not be best to create a whole different texture for them?

We this is more or less what we are doing. The old barbed wire texture will remain as a modified version of itself. But there is already in the pack a new barbed wire texture, and I am currently making another barbed wire texture without the green 'leaves'. So in the end there will be three 'barbed wire'-ish textures to choose from, one of which will be pretty similar to the original.

Pottus said:

Just a quick update, 55 - 60 percent done the layout of MAP 22

ETA - A couple days on layout another week on choreography / game play I could be done sooner but need to balance time between other projects as well.

One request - A different version SUPPS32W turned 90 degrees please.

[map layout]

I'll get on that SUPPS32W thing.

Map layout looks great btw.

[edit] more work on the new barbed wire texture.

Stuff I drew influence from

Map24 (In Progress)
Heavy Influence from Map10, draws elements from 01 17 21 and 23 though. Tom Mustaine's maps were some of my favorites.

Map28
Takes mostly from 26 28 and 29, with some 24 thrown in for good measure.
Also, lots of cacodemons. *evil laugh*

Map30 (what I have done anyway) goes mostly from Map30, but some Doom2 Map28 and TNT Map28 is creeping in.

My map17 which is now worked on by Kyka was inspired by Map14 Steelworks from the original TNT. There are certain similiarities at the start.