Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Whoo

TNT 2: Devilution (Texture Pack in OP)

I'll look into it a bit more, but I'm going to send Processingcontrol a PM since the SP portion will need to be modified beyond what Xaser suggested since the map uses fake 3d floors.

Whoo said:

The map has several rising/lowering walls as the player moves throughout the level to prevent SEG and visplane overflows. This cripples cooperative play because the walls block off parts of the map.

When a wall close, open a small closet in the walled-off area containing a one-way teleport to the next area. Trapped players can now rejoin the action. This can require as little as two extra visible linedefs and one single sector per zone, so the blockmap ought to be safe.

Regarding co-op, those types of single player limit-hacks are common enough (and vanilla co-op so rare) that IMO it's completely reasonable to expect folks to at least have a limit-removing port for co-op play. Much moreso than having the map just not work at all.

Xaser said:

Regarding co-op, those types of single player limit-hacks are common enough (and vanilla co-op so rare) that IMO it's completely reasonable to expect folks to at least have a limit-removing port for co-op play. Much moreso than having the map just not work at all.

Well, did Plutonia 2 have similar problems? I'm aware of the occasional VPO but I'd chalk that up to inexperience.

Processingcontrol replied with a suggestion that threw a lightbulb above my head:

Make a separate area for the part with co-op issues, and have the separate area teleport to some point in the area where co-op functionality works.

UPDATE:

With Processingcontrol's suggestion I was able make a new area for the trouble-some beginning, and so far it seems the BLOCKMAP is cooperating.

Marcaek said:

Well, did Plutonia 2 have similar problems? I'm aware of the occasional VPO but I'd chalk that up to inexperience.

PRCP certainly did.

...though I say that entirely because PRCP has Helix which is full of such hacks. :P

Whoo said:

In other news, MAP05 won't be co-op compatible unless you're playing with a port that uses the MAPINFO lump.

Just put the player 2 3 and 4 starts in a separate room with an exit switch. In essence, this will make map 05 skippable, thereby not breaking the continuity too much. And you won't have to screw with the single player sections too much.

Also, whoo, I'll get you those maps soon.

In other news, here is the impromptu-until-we-get-an-artist-to-make-one M_DOOM graphic:

Looking at it now though I think the fire should be a tad bit brighter.

That's supposed to be fire? I thought it was some kind of Gigeresque chestburster.

Looks more like dust smoke or chemical haze but interesting even if that's not intended effect. ;-)

Whoo said:

In other news, here is the impromptu-until-we-get-an-artist-to-make-one M_DOOM graphic:

http://www.tnt2.net16.net/images/logo2.png

Looking at it now though I think the fire should be a tad bit brighter.

Why do you want an artist? To be more faithful to the TNT graphic style, it needs to be done with MSPaint by someone's little cousin, aged 8 or less.

Bucket said:

That's supposed to be fire? I thought it was some kind of Gigeresque chestburster.

I just saw it as cheese :)

Bucket said:

Welcome to the amazingness that is my artistic abilities.

Gez said:

Why do you want an artist? To be more faithful to the TNT graphic style, it needs to be done with MSPaint by someone's little cousin, aged 8 or less.

True, but at this point we'd of needed more textures made in MSPaint.

Here's a slightly better M_DOOM graphic in-game:

It's still not that great, but I tried to make it look less cheesy (ho-ho) than before.

Memfis said:

Well then bring back the old wire texture dammit!

It'll appear one way or another.

Saturate, contrast and gamma it with some dose of outline and will look better. Flame is almost perfect now but lacks of stuff mentioned and letters can be more distinguished from background. ;-)

That reminds me, is the interpic still the one similar to the original, with a bloodied Doomguy resting before tackling another hellish wasteland?

I remember it quite well from somewhere in this thread.

Ragnor said:

That reminds me, is the interpic still the one similar to the original, with a bloodied Doomguy resting before tackling another hellish wasteland?

I remember it quite well from somewhere in this thread.

Yes, it is similar in theme to the original, though the background and foreground are different, and Doomguy is a little more battlescarred. He is carrying a BFG rather than a plasma rifle also.

And some screens.

This one's kind of a jam.

Title: "Trial aNd Terror"
Length: 3m 12s
Size: 13.7 KB
http://speedy.sh/JQ4DC/trialand.mid

EDIT: I think next week I'll go back through what I submitted, and edit a few to sound more TNTish. I like "trillion" but it's probably too unlike everything else, so I'm using it for my own project.

I know it might be disheartening to consider, since everyone's really wanting this WAD to be a full-featured experience just like the original TNT. But I'm starting to wonder if maybe we're overstretching with the multiplayer features. Not only are they forcing some tricky workarounds into the design of certain maps, but MP playtesting is going to delay the project even further.

So maybe we should just focus on getting all the maps done in singleplayer and just release the WAD that way. If we really want to or if there's a demand for it, we can go back and modify the levels to be MP-compatible for TNT2 v1.1 or whatever. But for now, I think we should just focus on creating a rich solo experience.

But that's just my thoughts on the matter.

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

Yes, it is similar in theme to the original, though the background and foreground are different, and Doomguy is a little more battlescarred. He is carrying a BFG rather than a plasma rifle also.

Cool, I was hoping it was final. I wonder what the title pic will be like..not that I ever really pay attention to them past a few seconds to select new game :p

Megamur said:

MP playtesting is going to delay the project even further.

You're just getting alpha jitters. It's like they say: when the project is 90% done, you're half done.

Megamur said:

I know it might be disheartening to consider, since everyone's really wanting this WAD to be a full-featured experience just like the original TNT. But I'm starting to wonder if maybe we're overstretching with the multiplayer features. Not only are they forcing some tricky workarounds into the design of certain maps, but MP playtesting is going to delay the project even further.

So maybe we should just focus on getting all the maps done in singleplayer and just release the WAD that way. If we really want to or if there's a demand for it, we can go back and modify the levels to be MP-compatible for TNT2 v1.1 or whatever. But for now, I think we should just focus on creating a rich solo experience.

No maps have had their single-player portions modified for multiplayer-compatibility. As for checking/fixing maps for multiplayer, that's something I can do myself in a small amount of time.

Bucket said:

*MIDIs*

TriNiTy sounds like it could be used in one of the later action-packed maps, and I'll have to experiment with Trial aNd Terror to see what map fits the calmness of the track.

Isn't the Romero Head tied to the level ending? I believe that's how many vanilla maps handle it.

It works when there's a reason for it beyond "I want the player to pistol start the next map" Like Scythe 2's episodes for example.