Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Whoo

TNT 2: Devilution (Texture Pack in OP)

Just to clarificate, I do want to at least claim The Noose Tightens (the most recent "extended" version Bucket posted) for MAP14, so that's at least one slot taken care of.

Is that version in the midi pack? I'm enjoying some of them, but a lot of them oddly sound like Heretic/Hexen music. I quite like Lost Cause, the calmer section of it could do well as an intermission in the same vein as Legion of the Lost.

EDIT: Targetne MUST be included, it is pure TNT.

Something a bit midtempo.

Title: "2093"
Length: 2m 33s
Size: 13.8 KB
http://speedy.sh/QATfZ/2093.mid

Megamur said:

Now, the old-school practice was to convert MIDI files to MUS format, but Chocolate Doom seems to play embedded MIDIs just fine at least, so I guess it won't be an issue since Choc Doom is our primary platform.

I'm pretty sure Vanilla Doom 1.666 and later supports MIDI. Doom95 does not (but who cares?). If we're converting to MUS, I believe the limitations are as follows:

- 8 max instruments + drums
- No polyphony (chords must be split between tracks)
- One default drum set w/fewer sounds available

Bucket, I enjoyed all of your midis in the folder Whoo posted, with the ironic exception of the Deepest Reaches inspired one, mainly because of one ear shattering effect you used near the start, which popped again two or three times later on. One of Jimmy's tracks had a similar effect, both tracks would be better off without those ear destroying notes from out of nowhere. I loaded them up in WMP, so they might sound different ingame where different ports do different things with the midis, but still.

I'll probably do a second round of adjustments soon. I will take all comments into consideration.

Vanilla Doom indeed supports MIDI, so there's no need to convert to MUS -- I'd recommend against it strongly, as doing so actually damages the track (sometimes resulting in oddities).

Does anybody know what we can do about these P_CrossSubsector crashes? Initially, it was due to a nodebuilder screw-up and the SSECTORS lumps were all missing--merely starting up a level caused the crash. But now, even with that rectified and the SSECTORS lumps built, the crash is still occurring when the player enters certain parts of some maps.

Can the nodebuilder be reconfigured to address the issue? Or are the maps in question simply too complex? I'm really not familiar with this error and can't find much documentation about how to deal with it.

How much is still left for the finish anyway? Can we expect it for a Christmas present for example? Or is it hopeless?

Megamur said:

Does anybody know what we can do about these P_CrossSubsector crashes? Initially, it was due to a nodebuilder screw-up and the SSECTORS lumps were all missing--merely starting up a level caused the crash. But now, even with that rectified and the SSECTORS lumps built, the crash is still occurring when the player enters certain parts of some maps.

Can the nodebuilder be reconfigured to address the issue? Or are the maps in question simply too complex? I'm really not familiar with this error and can't find much documentation about how to deal with it.

I'm assuming you're talking about Kyka's modifications to the maps. If so, hopefully I'll be able to correct the problems by using a different nodebuilder. All of them worked before hand, so I'm assuming Kyka just had a bad nodebuilder.

Katamori said:

How much is still left for the finish anyway? Can we expect it for a Christmas present for example? Or is it hopeless?

A far more spooky (albeit incomplete) present is likely in order.

Whoo said:

I'm assuming you're talking about Kyka's modifications to the maps. If so, hopefully I'll be able to correct the problems by using a different nodebuilder. All of them worked before hand, so I'm assuming Kyka just had a bad nodebuilder.

It is pretty weird. I don't know what happened.

I changed from ZDBSP to Zennode, and it seemed to fix the problem, thoughh I have always been using ZDBSP up to now.

Whoo, I'll send you an updated set soon, Currently getting results for testing in.

Whoo said:

A far more spooky (albeit incomplete) present is likely in order.

I'm scurred

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

It is pretty weird. I don't know what happened.

I changed from ZDBSP to Zennode, and it seemed to fix the problem, thoughh I have always been using ZDBSP up to now.

Whoo, I'll send you an updated set soon, Currently getting results for testing in.

I've had node builders randomly break in the past, so it's not too uncommon.

Starpath said:

Thanks for the submission. Not sure how well they would fit into the mapset, but we'll see later on.

Starpath said:

Oh yeah damn, that's not good, didn't notice.

Changed the links.

Cool stuff, these wouldn't sound out of place if they were used in a Castlevania mapset. :P

It'd be nice if atleast one of these found a home, it'd definitely be at it's best if used in a casual laid back tech base.

TNT had the oddball Open Season track and Death's Bells, so they could gain a place.

Also, a halloween public beta of sorts? Shit, that means I have a deadline to test the hell out of Kyka's remaining 15 maps. NO PRESSURE.

Maybe it is a new demo?

With skeletons.

These are the (hopefully) final versions of my tracks. I feel these are the best candidates; kindly delete everything of mine that isn't in this list.

2093 A.D.
TaraNTulas
Target NeuTralized
TeNeT *
The Noose Tightens
Till Next Time *
TiNTinnabulation
ToNighT... you *
TourNamenT
TraNsiTion *
TrenchaNT
TrepaNaTion
Trial aNd Terror
TriNiTy
TyphoN ex Tartaros
TyraNt's Tomb
HANDY DANDY ZIP FILE: http://speedy.sh/QKZsZ/tnt2midi.zip

(* Denotes tracks written for Title and Inter screens and so on.)

Ragnor said:

Also, a halloween public beta of sorts?

Yeah, that's what I'm shooting for. I still have to decide whether or not I should include all the completed maps or just a couple like the last beta (but either way MAP30 will be saved for the final release).

Bucket said:

*mids*

Thanks for all your contributions man. I'll make sure these versions get put in the MIDI pool.

Ragnor said:

As long as those final boss textures aren't included in any way, I'm fine with whatever.

Do you not like them or are you saying that just so they're kept secret?

All final boss related stuff and textures should be cut out if it's not intended to appear before map 30.

All unfinished maps can be replaced with simple transition pieces like hub map in style of pseudo intermission screen, but as in-game map, nothing so big like back to Saturn, just simplified to fit mood and style.

donno if you care but I personally would prefer that you didn't release some crippled version. Come on, the project is almost done, why not just work on it for 2-3 more months and release the full thing? If you show off most of the stuff now, the official release won't be exciting at all, just "oh, here are the missing 3 levs, ok". What are you trying to achieve by this teaser release anyway, hype I guess?

I don't sound very convincing I think so maybe imagine George Lucas releasing a new movie with 15 minutes missing.

Memfis said:

donno if you care but I personally would prefer that you didn't release some crippled version. Come on, the project is almost done, why not just work on it for 2-3 more months and release the full thing? If you show off most of the stuff now, the official release won't be exciting at all, just "oh, here are the missing 3 levs, ok". What are you trying to achieve by this teaser release anyway, hype I guess?

I don't sound very convincing I think so maybe imagine George Lucas releasing a new movie with 15 minutes missing.

That's what I'm also considering before I release anything. To put it bluntly, yes it's mostly for hype; I want to post it on other Doom communities (like Zdaemon, Zdoom, etc) that haven't really heard that there's a TNT 2 in development.

What I've been leaning towards lately is just a small, perhaps two-map, demo.

Yeah I meant all trace of the final boss not present in this beta. No textures, no maps that use them.

EDIT: I've tested about 11 maps extensively now, btw

Right, another small teaser pack would be good. I didn't even know TNT 2 existed until I saw and tried out the really, really old demo released a while back. So another one like that with two or three maps would probably be an effective advertisement.

Xaser said:

Gaddamn, I love this one so friggin' much, it's unreal. Only thing is it doesn't loop yet, but otherwise I'd very much like to see this used... somewhere at least.

Perfect Doom music :)