Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Whoo

TNT 2: Devilution (Texture Pack in OP)

Yeah, i dont like the idea of the moon interpic because its PRETTY MUCH THE SAME THING as the titlepic. I also agree that the classic-type interpic shouldnt have all that blood or metal in the distance either.

Well I like demo intermission because it looks like better S.T.R.A.I.N. which has feeling of straightforward blood harvest in a full moon as you battle through waves of monsters. In Evilution. Alone. Also reminds me how past experiences are overshadowed in grayscale while present time has colors. Titlepic could have something, somewhere, additional thing to complete and kind of logo to complete it's uniqueness. Best solution for intermission screen is sky with current moon in distance, area where Doomguy is facing in sepia and details behind him in gray.

Much prefer t.v.'s Moon background. High quality art, and I never did like the "it's an ingame screenshot" base of the original TNT interpic (or this one, for that matter). It's awkward.

Bucket said:

Since I'm on remix kick, here's an ambient/trance version of Steel Works.

Title: "in TNT to kill"
Size: 9.75 KB
Length: 2m 26s
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9nX-nszGzKvSm02VEpVaHk4Rjg/edit?usp=sharing

I honestly love the beginning of this, and the end is all right as well. It's very reminiscent of the score for the original Terminator. But honestly, I kind of wish this were tweaked to be an original piece, or more of an abstract remix. The really obvious remix parts in the middle--:36 to about 1:10--are dissonant, erratic and just not very good-sounding. The quieter parts are way better.

But that's just my opinion.

That's significantly better. I vote that that song should be used in MAP17: Waterworks. The somewhat more serene, harp-oriented tone makes it seem like a water-themed counterpart to Steel Works. (And it doesn't fit the actual level itself too badly either.)

Hope ur feeling better soon Ragnor. And you will really enjoy 17. Half Alterworldruler, half me.

Sorry I keep ending up delaying. Barely being able to move is not a state one can play a game like Doom in though. Is 17 the one that was Drake inspired? Still have to get through 15, and 16 if its in the wad.

Megamur said:

That's significantly better. I vote that that song should be used in MAP17: Waterworks. The somewhat more serene, harp-oriented tone makes it seem like a water-themed counterpart to Steel Works. (And it doesn't fit the actual level itself too badly either.)

I agree, this would definitely increase the mood in map17 by a bunch of notches, I partially did the map but then because I was busy with other stuff, Kyka picked it up and finished it, that dude knows how to replicate my style in TNT2 ;)

Well... due to various tweaks/requests, "TriNiTy", "Target NeuTralized" and "TiN Toker" sound basically the same. I'd like to limit the WAD to one of those. There's a surplus of loud tracks as it is.

Bucket said:

Well... due to various tweaks/requests, "TriNiTy", "Target NeuTralized" and "TiN Toker" sound basically the same. I'd like to limit the WAD to one of those. There's a surplus of loud tracks as it is.

Could you make a post linking to all three so we can vote on which we like the best?

Also, if any composers are free and if MAP08 hasn't had a song assigned to it yet, I have an idea of what kind of sound I think it should have and would like to see if I could work with someone.

sincity2100 said:

I would like to know when this Wad will get released? I can't wait for it

We're pushing for sometime next month if possible (and it's looking like we might just make it), but it may end up coming out in January.

Obviously you want to release a big project at a time when there aren't any other big events going on. No significant anniversaries or anything.

I also havent seen my maps since "artistic liberties" were implied to have been taken on them. I'm sure I'm not alone but I would REALLY like to make sure too many "liberties" weren't taken, a phrase which here means "The map is unrecognizable from what I set out to make"

I'm not expecting a December release since we still potentially have quite a bit of work to do, but the possibility is there. Rest assured, if the project isn't ready, it won't get rushed out.

TheMionicDonut said:

I also havent seen my maps since "artistic liberties" were implied to have been taken on them. I'm sure I'm not alone but I would REALLY like to make sure too many "liberties" weren't taken, a phrase which here means "The map is unrecognizable from what I set out to make"

In the latest batch of maps Kyka got I told him not to change as little texturing as possible. The original idea for having the maps added onto was to improve the maps aesthetically (as in, add in details around the map), which perhaps went too far in some maps.

What I'm planning to do to correct this, which is also why a December release may not happen, is send everyone their modified maps back. This way people can change what they don't like. I think Kyka's done a hell of a great job on expanding on the maps, but I agree with you in regards to controlling the changes. Some people will inevitably not respond, in which case their maps will either retain the changes or have the more drastic changes reduced (I still haven't decided which is better).

That is comforting to hear. I know that this is all for making this live up to the anticipation, but there shouldn't be a rush to make it this year.

Most importantly, when the release is near, DONT GO SELLING THIS TO SOME DUDES :p

I just got Map 15 tested btw, im well enough now to get back to work, so put that whip away..

Ragnor said:

Speaking of music, anyone else think Bucket's Target Neutralised/Last Call fusion is prefect for Map 1?

yeah, it's great. perfect link to the original last call, just as the map starts where you left.

Just listened to In TNT To Kill, its pretty great. I'm playing 17 tomorrow, too bad I cant just jam it into the wad to see how it goes with it.

Also, listened to Tin Toker and Target Neutralised back to back, they sound pretty different while also sounding similar. I'd be happy with both.

TheMionicDonut said:

I was always going to send the final results back to you for a bit of final 'making everyone happy with the final product' thing. I haven't finished quite with them both yet, which is why you haven't seen them, not because we are keeping the final versions from you, or anybody else, just so you know.

I have done my best to not take 'artistic liberties' as you put it, but I have solid reasons for doing what I have done so far.

1)Overall design of your two levels: This is virtually unchanged.
2)General texturing: You said to me yourself that your texturing is pretty random. But that said, I have tried to keep as much of your general 'themes' intact, but still giving the levels more consistency overall.
3)Gameplay: I figure that TNT2 will be downloaded by a few hundred, possibly a few thousand 'average' Doomers, who will be expecting classic gameplay, in the style of Plutonia2, PRCP and D2TWiD. I am all for TNT2 being harder than the original, but the reality is that a lot of the gameplay on these two maps is pretty brutal, and harder than anything else in the mapset. I feel that we shouldn't frustrate the average Doomer for the sake of the 20 people on earth who are good enough to beat Sunder blindfolded. I am all for difficult maps, but no maps in TNT2 should be at 'Sunder-on-UV' level difficult. So I have done some work on the gameplay. Don't worry, they are still to of the hardest maps in the set, just not as tough as they were.
4)These maps have also had massive amounts of bugfixing etc etc done. Items have been moved around so you don't run over them during firefights etc etc.

Mionic, I seriously love your maps, and they really are two of the most epic and unique maps in TNT2, and I am happy to compromise and meet you, (and any other mapper), halfway so that you don't feel like we are just screwing with your creativity. But that said, all maps ultimately have to fit into the project as a whole in terms of look, gameplay d difficulty.

Love your work dude, and there is still plenty of time to get your input on the final versions of the maps. (And again, this goes for any mapper involved in the project.)