Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Whoo

TNT 2: Devilution (Texture Pack in OP)

Didn't you say you love my maps before there was work done on them?

I know a lot of effort was put into these changes, therefore I still want to see this before I pass any sort of judgement...but working on any map "a lot", especially when the original author is left in the dark for the "repairs" process., left with only a vague "This is what will be worked on", kind of defeats the purpose of a community project.

Anyway, look forward to seeing it.

TheMionicDonut said:

Didn't you say you love my maps before there was work done on them?

[/B]

Yeah, and I love them now. They are epic maps with grand design and really interesting set pieces. The work I have done on them has been intended to add to what is best about the maps, and not just change them for the sake of it.

I know a lot of effort was put into these changes, therefore I still want to see this before I pass any sort of judgement...but working on any map "a lot", especially when the original author is left in the dark for the "repairs" process., left with only a vague "This is what will be worked on", kind of defeats the purpose of a community project.

In truth, I concede the point here. But understand when I say "a lot" of work, I mean that I have spent a long time really trying to keep the levels as true to their original design as possible. I could just randomly retexture the entire map and redo the gameplay, but that was never my intent, nor really my right, and as you say, that totally goes against the spirit of a community project. So every change has been thought about and weighed up against what the map is trying to do. I think they have come up pretty well, and from here, as far as possible I will defer to what you like or dislike about the changes. But I am kind of between a rock and a hard place, because while I will try to give mappers anything they ask for, we have set really high standards for this mapset overall, and that element I can't compromise on.

The majority of the changes revolve around smoothing off some of the more random texturing to give a stronger overall theme, and removing the edges off some of the more grind-ey slaughterish fights. Very little has been changed in the overall layout of the maps and even monster changes have not been heavy.

Anyway, look forward to seeing it.

You'll have the two maps and the latest version of the texture pack in the next day or so.

Bucket offered to modify some of my tracks if i posted them here. so i'm going to put a few tracks here and see if they're to be of any use for the project. they'll be posted in no specific manner.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nxc7w02jfxo52ne/Oliver%20Arcane%20-%20Nightfall%20%28Shei-La%20Remix%29.mid

a remix/cover of Oliver Arcane's Nightfall. slow guitar-track, the bassline is pretty similar to that of the READ_M from the original TNT.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hesqep1944kr48o/Rise%20%28Finished%29.mid

Rise, a pretty fast guitar-driven track. it's pretty old, but perhaps it could see some usage in here?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nh0hjj2ygjy74b6/cooler.mid

probably a track that requires modification. it has a sawtooth, slap bass, and drumtrack. i feel a sorta TNT-vibe in here, so perhaps it'd work better with some workaround/more instruments.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zazkv4lmwu42br4/another%20cool%20song.mid

another pretty plain track, but more filled out than the previous one. it's slower than the previous, and more of an semi-orchestral vibe.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/55fwr8edztx5w21/Viscous%20Reception%20%28FINI%29.mid

another slow, semi-orchestral piece. it's pretty fleshed out and should be good for usage right away.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4iixj70gbhbc7t4/Unnamed%20DNB%20Track.mid

an energetic, DNB-ish track with lots of sawtooth and sqaure-wave, as well as changing tempos.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9f8wldtguz51mgl/Blazing%20Insignia.mid

not sure how to classify this, but it sounds like a decent in-game track to me.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bcovzgt4ytxyomu/For%20The%20New%20Lunar%20Republic%20%28Viscra%20%2B%20Shei-La%20Remix%29.mid

a long, DNB-ish remix of For the New Lunar Republic. well actually, it's more of an original song at this point. guitars might need work as they're somewhat plain.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/synpv8ahuepwpdr/The%20Fall%20of%20Galant.mid

a recent one. again not sure how to classify it, but it could be put to use maybe.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9syrgnrsheec2zw/Wonderstrike.mid

an electronic tune, somewhat plain and unfinished.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xspd4kbdjlv11m1/Assault%20on%20849.mid

electronic hardcore, inspired by Unreal Tournament music. pretty long, and the volumes might be all over the place.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/knjyuczi8rywtoa/another%20coolie.mid

another mostly sawtooth piece, would need some workaround as it's pretty plain.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7ypy7qptn3usobm/I%20Am%20Defect.mid

lastly, an orchestral, or as close to the genre as i can come, piece. dark and foreboding.

Okay, I love map 21. Very few flaws, and they are either automap crap (My specialty!) or some fights that could use adjustment (notably the start and end)

Only have Dreadmill to go, really hope thats close to the original.

Does anyone else have a map they need tested? Finally completed all of Kyka's mapset, dear god do I procrastinate.

Given that ive barely touched anything non-TNT2 for the last year, im going to play catch-up on some of the great stuff thats been released in that time till a new mapset or map pops up in need of testing (Or dare I hope, the combined 32 map beta at long last)

Ragnor said:

Does anyone else have a map they need tested? Finally completed all of Kyka's mapset, dear god do I procrastinate.

Given that ive barely touched anything non-TNT2 for the last year, im going to play catch-up on some of the great stuff thats been released in that time till a new mapset or map pops up in need of testing (Or dare I hope, the combined 32 map beta at long last)

If you are looking to test something else than TNT2, i'm gonna hook you up with something in PM.

Ragnor said:

I dont mind, anything not TNT related will be good for a bit. Having fun with Hadephobia atm.

Alright sent something to you ;), you'll love the surprise. For referrence guys, I am working on finishing Xaser's map so stop bugging Xaser about it :P, it should be done in a week or two depending how much i'll have to study.

Ragnor said:

Having fun with Hadephobia atm.

Cool, would like to hear your thoughts when you're done. Just out of interest, not playtesting obviously :-)

I was watching the development of that from the start, much like I was with TNT2 tbh. Great to be able to finally play it, and so far at map 5, its excellent. Sadly it does not use a custom MAPINFO or so forth to have the story text between each level, but I beleive thyats due to its target port. But yeah, I'll let you know when ive eventually finished it :)

Also, you have no idea how much I laugh every single time I see Hull Revealed on that story text. GENIUS.

*totally off topic*

alterworldruler said:

Alright sent something to you ;), you'll love the surprise. For referrence guys, I am working on finishing Xaser's map so stop bugging Xaser about it :P, it should be done in a week or two depending how much i'll have to study.

As a for-the-record, this is being done with author permission. Alter and I have been chatting via IRC and he kindly volunteered to do thing placement, which is the part I've been stuck on for a while. Hopefully that means the map will actually become a thing. :P

YO BUCKET. This may be totally off-topic or somethin but do you think you or someone could make a midi of the PSX doom intermission song? That would be so very epic

I have a bunch of songs to sort through - but if someone else (maybe a project leader) can agree that it's suitable for TNT then I'll put it in the queue.

I don't want anything involving it being put into TNT2. I just want someone experienced to MAKE a midi of the PSXdoom intermission.

Just to let you know guys, I actually did finish thing placement in Xaser's map, Xaser's doing last-tuning to the map itself overall and then will send it to Whoo personally :P. And nope, no map for testers until Whoo gets the map himself from Xaser. I hope he does get done with it ASAP.. or else *burning eyes* nah

Sorry for being a stuck record player and I hope I don't come off as insulting; but I'm still hoping to see my area in my Darkreaver collab (map02) returned to it's original form... and to be honest that secret area just before it really doesn't add anything at all and kind of detracts from the map. It just reeks of redundancy and seems to be there for the sake of filler. Is it possible to design something better that is unique to the map in it's place, or alter it so that it stands out from the area it leads into layout wise? One of the map's strong points IMO, was that every area feels aesthetically different from the last. Also, I think the level's a lot better with the beserk in the beginning. There are a lot of other areas where every texture just got replaced by that brown texture, most notably the outdoor area that gets revealed via the floor lowering switch... why did that whole area just get every different texture plastered over by that brown texture? I know there's a thing called theme consistency, but come on :P, a lot of the original TNT levels had variation in color so I don't see how doing this has any place in quality control.

I keep getting confused on who did Map 2.

Anyway, I agree with those points, after playing a lot of the maps, there is often a lack of the TNT "look" Alter has gone out of his way to not perfectly polish parts of 28 to get that TNT look right, for example. Also, I really hope some of the map I dont have have the TNT office building chairs/desks etc that littered some maps, those are entirely missing so far. Its not truly TNT without that silliness goddamnit!

Ragnor said:

I keep getting confused on who did Map 2.

Anyway, I agree with those points, after playing a lot of the maps, there is often a lack of the TNT "look" Alter has gone out of his way to not perfectly polish parts of 28 to get that TNT look right, for example. Also, I really hope some of the map I dont have have the TNT office building chairs/desks etc that littered some maps, those are entirely missing so far. Its not truly TNT without that silliness goddamnit!

Map 27* but yeah it is true I didn't bother detailing my map for the sake of keeping it classic in looks, the gameplay's pretty much classic too, no modern shenanigans or a giant monster count. It's short, it's hard, but it's TNT, like a real TNT hahah.

Ragnor said:

Also, I really hope some of the map I dont have have the TNT office building chairs/desks etc that littered some maps, those are entirely missing so far. Its not truly TNT without that silliness goddamnit!

I really hope not! It's truly a better TNT without that silliness ;)

it aint TNT unless its got

1. space base theme, with some outer space
2. maps that tell stories via props and detail
3. that demon ship that appeared in the original
4. lots of metal

DeathevokatioN said:

Sorry for being a stuck record player and I hope I don't come off as insulting; but I'm still hoping to see my area in my Darkreaver collab (map02) returned to it's original form...

No problem, I'll make sure your original version goes in the final wad. I'll make sure I still have it and send you a PM if I can't find it.

Whoo said:

No problem, I'll make sure your original version goes in the final wad. I'll make sure I still have it and send you a PM if I can't find it.

The hellish area that Kyka designed at the beginning was very awesome though, I can send you the last version I sent to Kyka, as soon as I get my computer back (using my mom's atm :P )

I am going to be doing a fair amount of changes back to my maps. Gameplay wise most of the changes are fine but the visual changes...I can't say I care for a great many of them.

Kyka, which versions of my maps did you base your changes off of? I had made a few vital gameplay changes to map24 but they are absent in your revisited version.

StalkerZHS said:

it aint TNT unless its got

1. space base theme, with some outer space
2. maps that tell stories via props and detail
3. that demon ship that appeared in the original
4. lots of metal

1: Check
2: Sort of. Not seeing that furniture etc yet
3: Check
4: Check

Ok. Just to clarify a few things regarding changes that I have made to some of the maps. All the maps I have changed have either been done with permission, (either from Whoo or from the mappers themselves.) Or I have taken over maps that were left over from people who are long gone from the project, such as work I have done on Emzee712's maps or maps from the original demo.

@Mionic. In your PM's to me, you said to me to let you know if I made any changes to your maps. Which I took as permission to make changes, provided I gave you right of veto over said changes. And in keeping with that, I sent you the original versions that I made changes to, and I have sent you the most recent maps I worked on also. I don't apologize for the changes I made, as I do feel they were necessary, but I totally apologize if I altered the maps too much beyond your intent. Feel free to make changes.

@Deathevocation. When you sent me the last version of your map 02, you gave me explicit permission in that PM to make changes to the map.
-"Anyway here's the final version that I'll send you, feel free to change it after this,"
-"Anyway, I'm handing the map over to you so you have 100% control over it now, everything I wrote above you can feel free to take as requests and not as orders."
So you can understand I took that as license to go make changes to that map as I saw fit. The fact that you don't like a particular section of what I have done is absolutely fine. Dude, I am more than happy to have you revisit the map and make changes so it better suits what you have in mind. What is maybe not so great is the implication that I have made changes without your consent. I just wanted to clarify this.

@Whoo Let's not go back to an old version of Map 02, as the current version has been tested by all the testers and myself, has had lots of gameplay balancing and texture aligning etc etc and is in a much more finished state. I would rather keep the new version, and allow Deathevocation to make changes, rather than go back to an old, untested version, if that is all good with you.

Not only a broken record but also a less believable one..... let's not SERIOUSLY delay TNT2 any further. Because if it happens again, what? 2015 release? I personally await for the last wave of testing to begin within a week or two when remaining maps are given. Then we go on releasing it.

Yeah, because what could possibly go wrong with rushing to release a mostly finished mapset just because you want to have a bitch.

Also, who's 'we', white boy? 0_o

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

Yeah, because what could possibly go wrong with rushing to release a mostly finished mapset just because you want to have a bitch.

Also, who's 'we', white boy? 0_o

We being entire TNT2 team, Mr. Races and i'm not suggesting to rush it but begin to push towards release slowly and say release it this Summer.

Calm the heck down Kyka, no need to be insultive.