Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Whoo

TNT 2: Devilution (Texture Pack in OP)

Ooh, another TNT project. Count me in!

I should submit a map fairly soon, and possibly help test some of the levels.

Whoo said:

.......Feel free to come back around October-November when we'll have a public beta out if the project isn't already.

Wait a Minute... guess I must have picked the wrong year... AGAIN! ; )

Whoo said:

- DON'T MAKE MAPS EXCESSIVELY LONG. This is a general problem that the current overhaul is trying to correct. Maps should generally not exceed 10 minutes in length.

really sorry to hear that... I played Evilution the day it came out. One of the memories that still sticks out were several truly iconic and by old standards EXCESSIVELY LONG maps. I guess that might be the reason why some people were trying to resemble the experience...
10 Minutes max sounds a bit short for TNT 2

Anyhow... it's really sad to see how this seems to have turned out.
Good luck to everyone involved.... on both "sides"

Still looking forward...

Doohnibor said:

really sorry to hear that... I played Evilution the day it came out. One of the memories that still sticks out were several truly iconic and by old standards EXCESSIVELY LONG maps. I guess that might be the reason why some people were trying to resemble the experience...
10 Minutes max sounds a bit short for TNT 2

Anyhow... it's really sad to see how this seems to have turned out.
Good luck to everyone involved.... on both "sides"

Still looking forward...

What Whoo and the team are going at is that mappers must not spam the TNT2 megawad with extremely sprawling maps. After all, given that it's a sequel, it's meant to play and feel much like Evilution. While it is true that there are several huge maps in the original, particularly the three Drake O'Brien beasts, they are by no means as lengthy as Eternal Doom's mapset. In fact, most of the maps in Eternal Doom are far larger and longer. For me, the three maps by Drake O'Brien (Maps 20, 21, and 27) took me no more than 13 - 15 minutes to beat, though I could remember back then how it nearly took me 20 minutes first time playing.

T-Rex said:

...they are by no means as lengthy as Eternal Doom's mapset. In fact, most of the maps in Eternal Doom are far larger and longer. For me, the three maps by Drake O'Brien (Maps 20, 21, and 27) took me no more than 13 - 15 minutes to beat, though I could remember back then how it nearly took me 20 minutes first time playing.

Ok... I understand what you're saying. I personally didn't even play through Eternal Doom, because I became eternally bored even though it was one of the most anticipated projects.
Maps 20,21 and 27 those are exactly the ones I was referring to. I don't remember the times but it took me definitely longer than 20 mins to beat these maps. Probably because of my playing style. I don't save during maps and most of the time do a pistol start. Therefore I am sometimes forced to take it a bit slower.... running back and forth a lot to fill up health and stuff if necessary.

The thing is, we've got few long sprawling maps in TNT2 already and we don't need anymore of them, that's why Whoo pointed out that the submitted maps should'nt be long and sprawling. I can count at least 3-4 of them currently in.

Hey all,

Though it's been a bit quiet as of late, there's been a bunch of work going on behind-the-scenes (in IRCland, primarily). Among other things, Kassman's "The Infernal Carrier" is getting a bit of classic restoration:

It all runs in 'nilla, too. Still patching up some holes in various areas (and there's still one major section left to finish, looks like), but everything you see here is all tnt.exe friendly.

...Was there ever even a tnt.exe? Doom95.exe, then. :P

Might as well show that my map does indeed exist :P

The plan is to take a random unreleased and unfinished map and turn it into something worthy of inclusion in this. The area on the left is a blown up and polished version of an area from the right.

Progress is slow but steady.

Map02 is done ish. A lot of talks are being done on irc currently. Stay tuned for stuff here.

Mostly tweaking and work on new maps. Once Xaser finishes the texture pack, I'll be posting it here so people have something to work with.

(I know I'm not working on this project anymore, but I figure I might as well share the knowledge.)

I gave TNT's EXE file a look in DeHackEd in order to find out how long the automap names can be utilizing DEH files, and made a list of them all. The numbers after each map entry signify the maximum number of characters that are allowed. Please note that spaces count as characters, and that the "LEVEL X:" prefix on the automap counts towards the character count:

Map01: 23
Map02: 19
Map03: 23
Map04: 19
Map05: 15
Map06: 23
Map07: 15
Map08: 15
Map09: 19
Map10: 23
Map11: 27
Map12: 19
Map13: 27
Map14: 23
Map15: 19
Map16: 27
Map17: 27
Map18: 15
Map19: 31
Map20: 31
Map21: 31
Map22: 19
Map23: 31
Map24: 19
Map25: 23
Map26: 19
Map27: 23
Map28: 15
Map29: 23
Map30: 19
Map31: 19
Map32: 19

For the story texts, each line can be 41 characters long, plus a line break. Line breaks count as one character:

Map06 End Text: 391
Map11 End Text: 311
Map20 End Text: 311
Map30 End Text: 387
Secret Level 1: 175
Secret Level 2: 355

In Subterranean Magnitude I'm teleported right in arch-vile hands and crowd of monsters :(
At least rocket launcher saved me.

The OP has been updated with the new texture pack.

It's not a finalized version, but it will give you something to work with. Grab it here.

Daym! Totally digging the new track -- sounds like Quake 2, a bit. ;)

I'm certain we'll find a home for it, since we've got a fair number of techy new maps coming in that'll need some midi love. Thanks for the sub, sir!

Can't really tell what's going on there, but from the looks of it you might be on the verge of making a stringy map with those hallways jutting away from the central hub. If that's what you were planning on doing, I'd recommend changing your plan since we're trying to eliminate those kinds of maps from the list.

Bucket said:

A new track for your consideration.

"Tokyo Nuclear Test"
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9nX-nszGzKveFlpMEJWaU4ycU0/edit?usp=sharing

Sweet, thanks. I'll see if any of the maps need a heavy track.

Also: Xaser denies it, but the beginning sounds a lot like Enter Sandman to me.

riderr3 said:

In Subterranean Magnitude I'm teleported right in arch-vile hands and crowd of monsters :(
At least rocket launcher saved me.

This reminds me: I'm ultra fuckings busy for several weeks. I wont have any time to fix anything at all until summer vacation, at least. IRL stuffs, ya know.

darkreaver said:

This reminds me: I'm ultra fuckings busy for several weeks. I wont have any time to fix anything at all until summer vacation, at least. IRL stuffs, ya know.

That's fine, but if you want we can have someone start working on the changes and send them back to you for approval.

Whoo said:

That's fine, but if you want we can have someone start working on the changes and send them back to you for approval.

Feel free to, by all means. The only thing I'm opposed to is MAJOR texture changes, that is, changing the theme of the map. And I know Deathevo is a little more pickier than I am about that stuff, so maybe try to be more subtle in his areas hehe. Should not be a problem seeing which areas are his and which are mine. His areas are mostly (if not only) in the north west of the map, with alot of blue and silver and crates IIRC.

Whoo said:

Can't really tell what's going on there, but from the looks of it you might be on the verge of making a stringy map with those hallways jutting away from the central hub. If that's what you were planning on doing, I'd recommend changing your plan since we're trying to eliminate those kinds of maps from the list.

What if it'll be with teleport navigations into each fortresses outside area instead?

Whoo said:

WAIT NO!!! :P

I have a newer version, I'll send it to you within the next few days, after that it's ally yours and you can do whatever you want with it. :)

joe-ilya said:

What if it'll be with teleport navigations into each fortresses outside area instead?

Might work, but that's starting to sound like a giant map on the other hand.

William Blazkowicz said:

Sounds real cool! But, a few questions.

1.) Will this work with Final Doom? (steam)
2.) Does the steam version of Final Doom work with all doom ii wads?

Yes to both, though I'm not 100% certain that the TNT and Plutonia IWADs work with Doom 2 PWADs.

darkreaver said:

Feel free to, by all means. The only thing I'm opposed to is MAJOR texture changes, that is, changing the theme of the map. And I know Deathevo is a little more pickier than I am about that stuff, so maybe try to be more subtle in his areas hehe. Should not be a problem seeing which areas are his and which are mine. His areas are mostly (if not only) in the north west of the map, with alot of blue and silver and crates IIRC.

In terms of texturing very little will be changed since a lot of the current issues just deal with the opening and exit of the level since the map is no longer in the MAP02 slot. With visual polishing there's obviously going to be some changes, but that's why the map will be going back to you and DeathevokatioN for approval.

DeathevokatioN said:

WAIT NO!!! :P

I have a newer version, I'll send it to you within the next few days, after that it's ally yours and you can do whatever you want with it. :)

Heh, alright I'll wait for your changes before I put the map up for polishing grabs.

Whoo said:

Might work, but that's starting to sound like a giant map on the other hand.

No worry each fortress is small enough to not be too long.

Marcaek said:

Some progress, haven't forgotten about it :P

That is one cool looking map Marcaek.

You're probably better off visiting the IRC channel. I think most the project activity happens there now. Same as the TWID projects.