Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Whoo

TNT 2: Devilution (Texture Pack in OP)

New Screens.

This one is a map I am making to test out the new brown textures, rather than the gray techbasey ones.

Comments/thoughts welcome on any of this stuff.

[edit] also, if anyone is interested in taking a look at the WIP texture pack itself, or even playtesting a couple of levels, post here or P.M. me. Thanks.

Hey Hock. Check your P.M's

I officially really like the textures in the last shot, in how they gradient into blackness at the top. Really cool effect in spite of using the software renderer. Some of the shots, especially the next-to-last one, look far more Plutonia than TNT, though.

Thanks for the comments Megamur. Yeah those gradient textures can look kinda funny in vanilla because of how the Doom engine does that fake contrast thing, which can make them look misaligned if you are not careful. But I think they look pretty cool.

Also, I like the locker idea you posted in the pics thread, so I threw this together:

Don't know if this is anything like what you had in mind, but it looks vaguely lockerish to me anyway. (128x64 is actual size so it tiles neatly too.)

Those lockers look fantastic, and surprisingly simple. Wonder why nobody thought to do those before? A SHAWN-esque version would be killer though.

Yes, a SHAWN-style texture is what I originally had in mind. These will still do nicely, though. I had imagined them having a border around the doors (like a rectangle inside a rectangle), but having the doors touch the ground means that authors could draw the doors swung open; if they had borders, then a swung-open locker door would have empty space above and below it, which DOOM can't do.

If any of that makes sense. :)

If you stick with this texture, maybe make it a slightly different color, like a dull green or something? I worry it's too easily mistakable for the COMP textures and that players will just think it's tech machinery and not a locker.

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

New Screens.

This one is a map I am making to test out the new brown textures, rather than the gray techbasey ones.

Comments/thoughts welcome on any of this stuff.

Hey, sorry for the disappearance, just a lot of school work and personal problems going on lately. In general I'm liking the textures a lot, but the last two shots need more color to them; they're too brown.

And also:

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

I really like the creative mix of those textures to make a locker. Nice work.

Megamur said:

Yes, a SHAWN-style texture is what I originally had in mind. These will still do nicely, though. I had imagined them having a border around the doors (like a rectangle inside a rectangle), but having the doors touch the ground means that authors could draw the doors swung open; if they had borders, then a swung-open locker door would have empty space above and below it, which DOOM can't do.

If any of that makes sense. :)

If you stick with this texture, maybe make it a slightly different color, like a dull green or something? I worry it's too easily mistakable for the COMP textures and that players will just think it's tech machinery and not a locker.

Yeah, I totally see what you are saying. While that gray locker does look like a locker, it could probably just as easily be a generator door or something like that. I will mess with some other versions though I do like the simplicity of this one. (And besides, while my texturing skills have improved immensely since tackling this texture pack, some things I suck at doing. Recolors are easy, and converting to the Doom palette is easy, but getting something that looks good at the end of those steps... not so easy. For me at least.)

Whoo said:

Hey, sorry for the disappearance, just a lot of school work and personal problems going on lately.

Welcome back dude. :) Hope everything is working out ok.

In general I'm liking the textures a lot, but the last two shots need more color to them; they're too brown.

Heh. This is very true, though in my defence, I did mention that I was texturing specifically to test out some of the brown textures. For a more finalised version, these maps will probably have some retexturing done.

I will send you the texture pack I have been working on soon, as well as these couple of maps that use a lot of the new textures.

Also, by popular request lol:

I will probably do some more work on the borders of the techy looking rectangles, as they are currently just a cheap cut n paste straight from the dark gray one. Thanks for the comments guys. :)

Holy cow, I like that one a lot better. I'll be honest and say the first one I didn't recognize as a locker until someone pointed it out - I thought it was just another computer texture (not a bad thing, mind you). Anyway, great work on all these textures.

Yes, that new locker texture looks great. That's pretty unmistakable as a locker now.

Now I'm wondering if you should make a locker door interior texture to paste on the opposite side of the doors, in case someone wants to make a locker with a door that's swung open.

Is this a megawad in style of Evilution? Cool! Evilution is my favourite published megawad, and since Plutonia got a sequel, maybe Evilution should.

I have an idea for that megawad since I looked at the screenshots and discussions for it, but it may require recruiting other mappers. See, when I think of Evilution, I take into account on a few things: the contributers to the original game included well know mappers of the 90s like Tom Mustaine and the Casali Brothers (who made maps for Memento Mori together). Since the Casalis went on to creating Plutonia after Evilution, you might want to recruit mappers who made difficult wads (Plutonia/HR-esque slaughter maps). I was gonna recommend recruiting Gusta (Adolf Vojta) and Method (Jakub Razak), since they made the Kama Sutra megawad, and coincidentally, made maps for Plutonia 2.

Hope that sounded like a good idea. It might feel like a megawad that's both a sequel and a tribute to Evilution. Just my opinion.

T-Rex said:

Is this a megawad in style of Evilution? Cool! Evilution is my favourite published megawad, and since Plutonia got a sequel, maybe Evilution should.

This is a sequel to Evilution.

I hope you wont forget add what was missing: a good playground on some demonic spacehip.

It wasn't certainly explained with levels in Evilution (second episode/nighttime sky) although some levels could be explanation (maps 16 to 18). You can describe that in storyline and levels about second spacehip or first one's (remnants or not) and there is portal to hell (third episode, 21-30).

What can be more interesting, if (like in original description of Evilution story) that ship was that huge why not make entire episode with that theme - battle your way through bases and altered installations into ship, destroying and setting up to autodestruct key areas and morbid structures, then teleporting straight to hell which features yet another demon-spitter merged with whole level like it's body. Again, that could be even more interesting if slowly destroying demon-spitter body, not only the head/face, ruining from inside, at last, his brain.

It may not be the same demon-spitter, just accidentally activated experimental techno-magic things what merged into whole and developed will to spawn and kill. ;-)

Just to clear things up for everyone: the "demonic spaceship" never showed up in the original TNT because TeamTNT never had any plans to have a demonic spaceship in their storyline. Id just added that into the story after the fact.

Megamur said:

Just to clear things up for everyone: the "demonic spaceship" never showed up in the original TNT because TeamTNT never had any plans to have a demonic spaceship in their storyline. Id just added that into the story after the fact.

Well, in fact they made later Icarus what was entire spaceship/cruiser themed with some planet and simulation levels but it certainly didn't appear in TNT which would be nice expansion to original.

I dont known if that was id's idea or TeamTNT, whatever reason is this, Evilution's story is official in that way and widely distributed in Final Doom expansion , so it's canon I think, and continuation of this idea in sequel also could be possible. What if some monsters survived there and something strange/unexpected happened.

EDIT: I known it wasn't part of original story from TeamTNT perspective but it was made canon by id, so why not at least level or two inside/outiside that thing. And thinking how it was huge, even episode if possible.

Whoo said:

This is a sequel to Evilution.

Really looking forward to this. Evilution was my favorite part of Final Doom for a long time.

I also prefer Evilution since it has more continuity towards levels than Plutonia had. In TNT you have area to area, facillity/base to base, region to region and level to level while in Plutonia the levels aren't connected themselves, it just a random time travel/teleport shot outs between different areas and levels. Even authors stated that on Dario's website.

Anyone noticed different brain textures of boss? In Doom 2 we had lava-like brain, in Plutonia slime-like mess but in Evilution last boss was empty, just glowing red from inside.

Are you guys going to attempt to beat Plutonia 2 in the amazingness of the final boss? It's pretty hard to top that thing though.

GBT3 said:

I hope you wont forget add what was missing: a good playground on some demonic spacehip.

I've already started work on a map like that, and I should be able to continue work on it now that school is done.

TrueDude said:

Are you guys going to attempt to beat Plutonia 2 in the amazingness of the final boss? It's pretty hard to top that thing though.

We haven't really thought about that since we're focusing on getting the maps before the boss done. I was planning to have MAP30 designed by the whole team when we get there, but that is still a ways off.

As for last/boss map: I thought about something between Evilution's map30 Last Call (beginning)with some ideas from Eternal Doom 3's map23 Time Gate II (middle of the play) and map30 of Perdition's Gate (great final).

Well ladies and gentlemen, the project is far from being dead. I even am still working inside it. Here are some WIP shots from my upcoming map:

And here are some updates to my map:

I decided to change the theme of this map from a sewage plant to some sort of water reservoir or something.

Sewage plant. Sounded a lot like Map22 of Evilution. Third picture reminds me of the central area of Map13. Good stuff.

Good to know you all are still working on it. I like what I see in alterworldruler's first screen and Whoo's third one. Certainly TNT vibe. Probably too late for cacoward if finished but best way to bring Evilution from infamousness. If it will be better than original and bring back memories of original, good ones, it will be enough. New statusbar/intermission/titlepic/help/menu screens wouldn't hurt too, and since it's Evilution, not Plutonia - more tech into it.

Phml said:

These shots remind me more of Plutonia than TNT. Not a bad thing, mind you.

I don't see why... Plutonia was jungle/ancient ruin themed, while TNT was mostly tech and UAC style bases.