Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Whoo

TNT 2: Devilution (Texture Pack in OP)

Straferunning hardly ever works for me, I vote against it. Ive never enjoyed silly tricks like those. Timed secrets (NOT the shitty 30 seconds or closed forever kind ie Monster Condo) and (reasonable) switch hunts are my kind of secrets.

Also, Kyka and Donut: Give me a bit of time for any further testing. Some real bad shit, including death, is going on here irl, so I'll be indisposed for a while. I'll make an effort where I can in the meantime though

Very sorry to hear about your troubles, Ragnor. I wish you the best.

I'm sure you're already aware of my sentiments regarding required straferunning, Kyka. I generally disapprove of needing to use an exploit in order to beat a level. It's perfectly fine for optional content, but it would be unfortunate that a player who didn't know the trick would just be stuck. I would say much the same for required arch-vile jumping (although Eternal Doom certainly had no qualms with doing that).

And though I'm not a mapper and it's not really my place to make suggestions like this, I generally design all my vanilla maps with jumping in mind, as in, trying to think of how a player could break the map if they could jump, and thinking of how to eliminate those possibilities. Rocket jumping only makes it even harder to account for what the player might do, but it's something you should consider and attempt to prevent.

Well. The crew has spoken.

So I'll be putting blocking lines where necessary to prevent unwanted jumping, and no straferunning for required items/areas.

@Ragnor. Take all the time you need bro. Thanks for your work, and I hope everything works out really well. Condolences on the death thing. All the best.

I don't think you should waste time making your levels jumping compatible. People who jump often do so to skip portions of the map they don't like or get to across the level quicker. If they're already cheating by jumping I see no reason to deprive them using their cheat as they intend to. Jumping and crouching should still be disabled in the mapinfo though, so the less educated players understand that it's against the rules. If they really care about being able to jump they can just force it.

My own levels definitely won't be jumping compatible anyways. Doing so would severely mess up how they normally play.

There are a couple of spots where I am worried about jumps in map24. -By the forklift, next to the megasphere secret
-The windows into the courtyard that one normally needs a yellow key for

Im not sure how to make these unpassable either, as they break the mechanics of those parts of the map.

Map28 shouldn't have too many problems though, jumpwise.

Jumping compitable? What do you mean? Fuck the jumpers. If there are any areas the player shouldnt go to because he can get stuck or something, just block it off with impassable lines. If they can reach a key or something like that with jumping, let them.

I always had planned on just disabling jumping in MAPINFO and leaving it at that. The idea was that if a player got stuck in an area because of jumping, it's because the maps aren't meant to be played with that feature on. Going back through all 32 maps and adding/modifying lines where needed would also take a long time.

In the end, it's up to you if you want to make/change your maps to be "jump-proof."

Ragnor said:

Also, Kyka and Donut: Give me a bit of time for any further testing. Some real bad shit, including death, is going on here irl, so I'll be indisposed for a while. I'll make an effort where I can in the meantime though

You have my condolences, and take all the time you need.

darkreaver said:

Jumping compitable? What do you mean? Fuck the jumpers. If there are any areas the player shouldnt go to because he can get stuck or something, just block it off with impassable lines. If they can reach a key or something like that with jumping, let them.

Yeah I agree

I require the latest texture pack and I need the to maps 22 + 30. I tried to download them but no file was fount.

Sorry, for my unavailability; I was in India for 6 months

Lord Pazman said:

Also, just to ask, is this supposed to runt with doom 2 or tnt

It runs on TNT. I'll PM you the latest version of the final wad, as most maps have had changes done to them.

Whoo said:

It runs on TNT.

It does? I've been testing maps with DOOM2.WAD exclusively all this time.

Thanks for the kind words guys.

*sigh*

Started up testing, got the new GZDoom, and Donut's map 28 crashes in the first fight, EVERY TIME. Whatever 1.7.1 fixed, it didnt fix the Interger Overflow thing that kills the program whenever Revenants attack en masse. What a massive kick in the nuts, seems this computer is messed up.

I was surprised to hear new music btw.

Lord Pazman said:

Also, just to ask, is this supposed to runt with doom 2 or tnt

Just to clarify ... It will run with either, since the TNT textures are included in the resource wad, and no doubt, will be included in the full wad on release.

hawkwind said:

Just to clarify ... It will run with either, since the TNT textures are included in the resource wad, and no doubt, will be included in the full wad on release.

Actually Ty Halderman suggested way back when (before the project was announced) that the project use the TNT IWAD. I actually wasn't aware that the texture pack contained the TNT textures (since I map with tnt.wad as the IWAD), but regardless the final wad will probably require TNT.

Ive been using tnt.wad from the beginning. It IS TNT2 afterall.

Besides, TNT2 run in tnt.wad gives me awesome music :p

hawkwind said:

This is correct. It was just easier for me to include all the unique-to-tnt patches, as it made it easier to keep track of modifying/replacing them. The majority have been modified or replaced anyway. So because all the tnt only patches are there, tnt2 will run just as well with the Doom2 iwad as the tnt iwad. And as far as I can tell, there are no tnt-only flats, it uses only Doom2 flats throughout.

I figured as long as it needed a commercial iwad to run, then it was all good.

If you set SLADE 3's base resource archive to be TNT.WAD, then you can use Archive->Maintenance->Remove content duplicated from IWAD to clean it out of all unmodified TNT patches.

I noticed that at some point the waterfall texture was replaced by a new one.

I think the old one was a lot better:

Processingcontrol said:

I noticed that at some point the waterfall texture was replaced by a new one.

I think the old one was a lot better:

*images*

I like the new one better, but I can see why you don't like how it looks in that area. We should be able to tack the old one back onto the BFALL textures.

Lord Pazman said:

Will the be a trcp after this, like prcp

LingtheDoomGuy said:

I was wondering the same thing. I hope there will be one too.

It all depends on whether or not there is a big enough group of people willing to work on it. I imagine someone will want to start it though.

Whoo said:

It all depends on whether or not there is a big enough group of people willing to work on it. I imagine someone will want to start it though

I'll gladly contribute to any follow-up to TNT, since my mapping is becoming of a higher standard (I hope), but I won't start a project.

Kyka and I discussed that possible follow-up, its not likely for a while.

The perfect name for a third TNT is pretty much decided though if it does appear.

I'd relish the chance to work with another Kyka texture pack if he's involved in another TNT megawad. I came into this one very late and was fortunate to be involved so I'd try to get in from the ground floor if another one is started.

Ragnor said:

Kyka and I discussed that possible follow-up, its not likely for a while.

The perfect name for a third TNT is pretty much decided though if it does appear.

Kyka said:
"TNT3: Revilution Terminus Singularity Horizon Complex."

'nuff said.

We should consider getting this one done before a third entry/trcp is even mentioned.

Lord Pazman said:

Is this also for coop and dm

There's plans to include it in some capacity and some maps already have support for multiplayer, though nobody's really tested it yet. Singleplayer is the primary concern for now.

What I'd like to know is if there'll be an included DEH file for text intermissions, map names and par times. We'll need somebody to speedrun all the levels if so. :)

Lord Pazman said:

Is this also for coop and dm

The final wad will definitely be compatible with coop; as it stands most maps require further work because they were designed with single-player in mind.

As far as DM goes, the only support the wad will have is the inclusion of player starts.

Lord Pazman said:

Also will there be demos for the wad, I would love to do a demo

I'm planning to set up a demos thread for this after completion. I didn't expect co-op to be in here but glad to see that there will be.