Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Whoo

TNT 2: Devilution (Texture Pack in OP)

Doomkid92 said:

The title of the thread mentions that MIDI composers are needed - I don't know if I can write anything new in time with all I've got going on, but have a look through this pack of stuff by me and my friends/band: http://www.mediafire.com/?chi0x9pp7xa5rx6

If anything seems suitable, just let me know :)

Thanks for the the contribution. I'll let everyone else decide, but to me those tracks sound like something you'd find in Hell Revealed (which isn't a bad thing, mind you). If you do get around to making new tracks, take a listen to the music from TNT to get an idea what it should sound like.

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

*shots*

Looking very nice structurally, but I'm thinking there might be a little brown-overkill in there.

...and to think of this megawad started just as simple bunch of guys trying to do some maps for TNT, sometime after got bigger attention of community and more mappers so it survived instead of many similar amateur attempts who failed. How poor quality 3 maps old demo evolved into professional 32 level mapping is sure amazing. No real explanation behind this, well maybe infamousness of TNT and nostalgia driven experiences of the past? ;-)

Amazing stuff. Maybe it will be out by fall! MAYBE!

A guy can dream.

Would it be possible for Map05 & Map06 to be switched to later slots? I originally planned Map06 to be a medium sized level, but like most of my maps it ended up being way bigger than intended. Now it's Eternal-sized and has an ever increasing monster count of 750 (mostly imps and troopers), aspects more suitable for maybe Map11 or Map12. The two maps definitely should stick together - the ending of Map05 leads into the beginning of Map06.

Dont maps wind up getting shuffled around to be more fitting anyway?

I wouldn't recommend 11 and 12. Those are the episode 1-2 transition maps

Map 2 is already pretty damn big and heavily monster filled, so I wouldn't worry too much about placement, from what ive tested so far, Map 1 is the only short map

Mionic: I'm testing the new versions of your maps now.

Ragnor said:

Map 2 is already pretty damn big and heavily monster filled

Which map are you thinking of? Subterraneal Magnitude?

Ragnor said:

Maybe, I tested a Map 2 for Kyka a few times. Don't know if its the same one.

Kyka's map from the demo or did Kyka PM you a beta? IMO Subterraneal Magnitude isn't that big.

The map I played might not be as gigantic as I probably make it sound like, but it feels huge. Map 1 was suitably short, as its a warmup where Map 2 really kicks TNT2 off (I really pay attention to this kind of thing).

251 monsters felt like three times that :p

Just to post an official "What is Xaser doing?" since my map's one of the few outstanding ones, I've got my map done sans thing placement (I'm one of those nutters who tends to do that last), but I'm rushing trying to finish up something different at the moment. Yeah... wacky priorities, I know, but I'll get back to the TNT2ness right away after this current thing is out the door.

Also, I guess while we're not the subject of midis, I admit that I haven't thought about that. I've been using TNT's MAP14 track all through development and like the sound of it, so something in that vein, I guess? Odd that this is one of the few times where I'm stumped on a midi to choose... I usually figure that out long before a map's at the halfway mark (if not at the point of conception).

Just a note that I composed the music for my map (MAP16) which is sort of a remix of MAP16 and MAP20 from TNT Evilution.

Well in recent news, map 17 is now finished. Just map 21 to be done.

darkreaver said:

Seems like Kyka added a "few" monsters since I sent him the map then :P I believe it had about 160 when he took the map.

Well you guys did send me the map to be finished, and finish it I did. :) I really only added one new area to the map itself, the rest was balancing, difficulty settings, alignments etc etc. There are separate 'joining' areas at the start and at the end of the map also. It is a really unique map, unlike any of the other maps so far in the set, and I am glad it is in.

Which reminds me, now that it is finished, Darkreaver and Deathev, I'll PM you guys the latest version of the map to have a look at. Feel free to make any comments/suggestions etc etc. (Probably should have done that a while ago, so thanks Ragnor for the unintentional reminder!)

joe-ilya said:

Plutonia 2 + TNT 2 = Final doom 2

I would see it more as Final Doom 3, due to the existence of Perdition's Gate (which would have been in Final Doom if it was completed fast enough. It's even got TNT-like music tracks, including one that's a different version of Human BBQ's theme) and Hell To Pay, those two are a pair that's seen as Final Doom 2 to some, including me

Kyka, you have no excuse to not send an updated mapset now! I cant keep testing Mionic Donut's two forever or they'll start to bore me :p

(I'll assume you'll want 17 tested first after all that work on it)

Ragnor said:

I would see it more as Final Doom 3, due to the existence of Perdition's Gate (which would have been in Final Doom if it was completed fast enough. It's even got TNT-like music tracks, including one that's a different version of Human BBQ's theme) and Hell To Pay, those two are a pair that's seen as Final Doom 2 to some, including me

Obviously we need to get started on Perdition's Gate 2 and Hell To Pay 2.

Gez said:

Obviously we need to get started on Perdition's Gate 2 and Hell To Pay 2.

I would support these 100%

It's a shame that TNT 2: Devilution wasn't released in 2012, and I was really looking forward to playing this megawad. I heard that development is going slow, but I hope it won't be too slow so that the megawad can finally be released.

Ragnor said:

The map I played might not be as gigantic as I probably make it sound like, but it feels huge. Map 1 was suitably short, as its a warmup where Map 2 really kicks TNT2 off (I really pay attention to this kind of thing).

251 monsters felt like three times that :p

Lol, wasn't aware of the size increase, as Kyka said, thanks for the heads up. :)

NiTROACTiVE said:

It's a shame that TNT 2: Devilution wasn't released in 2012, and I was really looking forward to playing this megawad. I heard that development is going slow, but I hope it won't be too slow so that the megawad can finally be released.

I don't think it's a shame by any means if people work at their own pace, as long as the end result is good. Now if it wasn't released at all... then THAT would be a shame. :)

Oh, hey, I kinda said I'd do some MIDIs for this. Sorry, I guess this project's not been on my mind lately. The last MIDI I tried to make for this ended up being too weird and progressive so I donated it to BTSX. I guess I should try and go for something a bit simple and TNT-ish as I did with my Plutonia MIDI Pack submissions (any of which are free for anyone to use elsewhere, by the way).

Hey jimmy. To have a few midi's off you at some point would be awesome. Thanks for your input. :D

Okay, I tried to do something short but it still turned out kinda silly. It also did turn into something of a blatant Princefest. The first part of it is a total ripoff of a Muse song and the middle section is taken straight from the synth solo about 7 minutes into this Bad Salad track. Though both of these songs are really good and for some reason I get a huge TNT vibe when I listen to them (the former especially, the latter just has that solo).

In Utero (3:09)

The In Utero track evokes some memories of the MAP03 music from Perdition's Gate (especially the ending of said PG track), albeit significantly slower, with a bit of the loopy craziness of TNT MAP11 in the solo part. We're on the right track. There's enough of that grunginess and tempo to the bassline to give it a TNT vibe. I'm not sure how I feel about the synth voice or whatever that comes in, in the background, at around 33 seconds in. There's not really anything like that in TNT.

And I know I haven't been active in the thread for a while, but I haven't received any maps to test in several months. I don't have to test them if my services are not currently desired, but I am available.

Megamur said:

The In Utero track evokes some memories of the MAP03 music from Perdition's Gate (especially the ending of said PG track), albeit significantly slower, with a bit of the loopy craziness of TNT MAP11 in the solo part. We're on the right track. There's enough of that grunginess and tempo to the bassline to give it a TNT vibe.

Welp, that's pretty much exactly what I was going for. So... yay. :D

Megamur said:

The In Utero track evokes some memories of the MAP03 music from Perdition's Gate (especially the ending of said PG track), albeit significantly slower, with a bit of the loopy craziness of TNT MAP11 in the solo part. We're on the right track. There's enough of that grunginess and tempo to the bassline to give it a TNT vibe. I'm not sure how I feel about the synth voice or whatever that comes in, in the background, at around 33 seconds in. There's not really anything like that in TNT.

And I know I haven't been active in the thread for a while, but I haven't received any maps to test in several months. I don't have to test them if my services are not currently desired, but I am available.

Hasn't Mionic sent you the updated 24 and 28? I've been waiting for a map update too, now that 17 is seemingly finished. MY BLOOD BOILS FOR DOOM. *cough* (Sorry if I sound demanding or anything, I have a strong desire to help this project as much as possible)

Nice to see i'm not the only one that sees the similarity between the PG/ HTP and TNT soundtracks :p

Ragnor said:

Nice to see i'm not the only one that sees the similarity between the PG/ HTP and TNT soundtracks :p

They share Tom Mustaine and L.A. Sieben. :)

Gez said:

They share Tom Mustaine and L.A. Sieben. :)

And that's my cue to hijack the thread temporarily and ask if it's possible to find out or at least estimate - based on styles - the composers for each TNT track (bar Mustaine's)?

Eris Falling said:

And that's my cue to hijack the thread temporarily and ask if it's possible to find out or at least estimate - based on styles - the composers for each TNT track (bar Mustaine's)?

The TNT soundtrack page was edited by three different IPs to add titles to songs:
http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/201.245.224.13 (Death's Bells, Blood Jungle, Into the Beast's Belly, Smells like Burning Corpses)
http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/187.13.109.233 (Ruined World, Legion of the Lost)
http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/58.69.119.40 (Sadistic, Soldier of Chaos, Cold Subtleness, Agony Rhapsody, Let's Kill At Will)

I'd like it if it turned out these anonymous editors were L.A. Sieben, Josh Martel, and Jonathan El-Bizri who each filled out their songs. This is of course pure speculation with no way to prove. And even if it were the case, there's no easy way to guess who is who anyway.