Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Whoo

TNT 2: Devilution (Texture Pack in OP)

Bucket said:

"The Noose Tightens"

This one's got just the right sort of atmosphere I'm looking for in MAP14; mind if I claim it? I might try my hand at extending it in the middle a bit, but otherwise it's the most fitting thing thus far. ;)

I can do that, since I may have a few edits of my own. You just want the quiet part lengthened?

Bucket said:

I can do that, since I may have a few edits of my own. You just want the quiet part lengthened?

Hmm, actually the opposite: I was thinking of adding a bit where drums and a more 'active' bassline (for lack of a better term?) come in around 2:19, such that the first part of the track acts as an extended build-up. It'd suit the idea of having a really quiet n' eerie exterior with chaos indoors, which is sorta the gameplay theme I've got in mind.

Ah, I should've probably been more explicit: I meant insert a new section of the song at that point (and eventually break back into the quiet part that follows), not modify the existing part. Not entirely sure if the newer version is working, I agree.

Gez said:

Everybody is Bucket.

Custom Title much.

Xaser said:

Ah, I should've probably been more explicit: I meant insert a new section of the song at that point (and eventually break back into the quiet part that follows), not modify the existing part. Not entirely sure if the newer version is working, I agree.

Well then, see if this suits you.
http://speedy.sh/nMK6B/thenoos3.mid

Ah! That's it! Thanks there -- Mega-props for nailing it down given my vague descriptions. :D

Hopefully this'll give me the inspiration needed to polish off the thing placement. 'Tis the last missing piece now that this one's been filled in rather nicely.

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

Thanks dude. :) PC sent me a map big enough and tough enough to probably hold a place in the 20-29 map range of the average vanilla megawad. So pretty big, yeah. Exploring this map is going to be its strongest point I think. It really is a great map for looking around and finding loads of cool areas. I have been working to simplify the gameplay somewhat, so that ideally, players don't get pwned too often, and are free to keep their explorer hats firmly on. Though it still should pose a decent challenge.

Really late reply to this, I know, but that sounds great to me. Challenging maps are enjoyable, but I've really been having a good time with these maps that have been large and have a lot of exploration to do. Balancing the gameplay so the player isn't punished for wanting to snoop around suits me just fine.

I know I'm not exactly unbiased, considering I'm working on this project myself, but a lot of these maps I've playtested have been really fun. I think the community's going to have a great time with TNT2. :)

I'll echo that. I normally don't do ultra-challenging maps, but the late game maps I've played have been brutal but fair in pretty much every regard, even while incomplete. I just hope I can convince people I know to give this a try once its out. They damn should, now that I'm doing my part to help out with it :}

Thanks for the comments guys.

Just a quick status update. (Pretty much the same as the last status update, but, like, with incrementally more progress.) Map 06 is totally done, including difficulties, just needs a few minor balance-ups and a few more playthroughs. Maps 17 and 21 are done also.

Testers, prepare your most leetest nitpicking skills, for realz.

Well, I tried to create something that sounded similar to TNT's music and I wanted to mantain the simplicity; It ended up being too similar to Open Season's track and way too simple. But anyways, here it is, just in case you wanted to hear it.

http://speedy.sh/dczu4/Why.mid

Lakai said:

Well, I tried to create something that sounded similar to TNT's music and I wanted to mantain the simplicity; It ended up being too similar to Open Season's track and way too simple. But anyways, here it is, just in case you wanted to hear it.

Its basically a rip-off, but I like it =) Open Season is one of my all-time fav Doom tracks.

Deepest Reaches is my favourite non-Drake level due to the combination of its awesome music and awesome level design. Wasnt too keen on the full-on remixes posted a long time ago in this thread, so I hope I'll like this "inspired by" one

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

Testers, prepare your most leetest nitpicking skills, for realz.

That's what I'm here for. That's what I'm all about. :)

Speaking of nitpicking, that second screenshot looks a little odd. That waterfall upper texture just stopping in mid-air doesn't make any sense. That aside, I like the openness displayed in both shots.

Lakai said:

Ah, I was sincerely hoping someone would make a track like Open Season's, as that was a great song. While this song does crib a lot from that track, the atmosphere is completely different. Open Season's track was brooding, mysterious, rather creepy. This is almost like a somber old west kind of piece. While listening to it, you can totally imagine some gunslinger on his horse as they trod through the dust towards some far-off drama. It is pretty simple, but not necessarily for the worse.

The fade-out at the end probably should go though. There's got to be a better way to make it loop.

Bucket said:

Yet another MIDI. This one draws from "Deepest Reaches".

Title: "TyphoN ex Tartaros"
Size: 10.8 KB
Length: 2m 17s
http://speedy.sh/QAD9Z/typhonex.mid

Oh, that was always one of the most distinct TNT tracks. Really loved it. As for this track, I do wonder if it would have more of a creepy impact without so much work with the cymbals going on. All that tapping and crashing makes it notably more lighthearted in tone. The very beginning is really unsettling, like something out of Blood--a great start, I thought. But then the cymbal work kicks in and it starts turning into something you can dance to and loses some of its edge. But that's merely my opinion.

Bucket said:

I attempted another fast rock track but it's sounding a bit like TriNiTy. Eh, I'll submit it for the sake of choice.

Title: "Target NeuTralized"
Size: 21.1 KB
Length: 2m 21s
http://speedy.sh/3VrUu/targetne.mid

With this speed and level of intensity, it's still too much in Hell Revealed territory, I'd say, especially after the 1:42 mark where it starts sounding more like something from Rise of the Triad (which HR1 used for its soundtrack, as I'm sure we all know). Might work for an early, short level, though. But I'm just not a big fan of fast rock pieces in general most of the time, so I'm not the best person to review this sort of song.

Bucket said:

It started as something like Open Season and then turned very Princelike.

Title: "TiNTinnabulation"
Size: 11.3 KB
Length: 2m 41s
http://speedy.sh/B4JJx/tintinna.mid

All the bells and piano give it an almost magical, starry quality. I feel this track is more fitting for a fantasy-type level--a medieval castle bathed in twilight, perhaps, like something from Eternal Doom--but it's still a fine track.

And here's one for kicks.
"TreNT didn't survive"
http://speedy.sh/DKX8Q/trentdid.mid

Boy, this one's just kind of all over the place, isn't it? Can't say I'm a fan.

Bucket said:

Here's one that borrows from MAP11.

Title: "TourNamenT"
Size: 29.0 KB
Length: 3m 30s
http://speedy.sh/hSc5P/tourname.mid

This one ain't bad. There's several different kinds of quickly-looping repetition going on in the background that's reminiscent of automated machinery, giving it a sinister industrial vibe that suits TNT very well.

Bucket said:

I think the hardest thing to emulate in the original tracks is the complete disregard of song structure or melody.

Title: "TrenchaNT"
Length: 3m 01s
Size: 14.9 KB
http://speedy.sh/KTnRW/trenchan.mid

Captures the essence of Tom Mustaine quite well, I'd say. If not TNT, it's at least got Perdition's Gate's style down pretty good. A fine addition to the music selections.

I hope I'll get around to reviewing all of the submitted music tracks before release, at some point.

Megamur said:

That's what I'm here for. That's what I'm all about. :)

Dude, you, Ragnor and Hawkwind are the primary reason why this project isn't full of more bugs than a new Windows release.

And I'm proud of every little bit of assistance we've been able to offer to the very hard-working map designers, who not only slave over these massive, detailed levels, but also put up with our (or at least my) endless critiques. :)

Alright. Major updates sent to testers.

Also, if anyone out there wants to do some deathmatch testing for a bunch of maps, that'd be awesome.

Thanks for the kind words, even though I've only tested about 6 maps in total. Must have made a really good impression :p

I'll likely start tomorrow, got a 5-6 hour+ Dungeon Keeper game going that I want to finish

Speaking of midis, would it be possible to get a wad with all the midis so far? Would be great to listen to them while testing the maps they could end up accompanying

@Starpath.

Yeah dude. The more midi's the merrier. Feel free to submit one or more.

@Ragnor.

whoo has all the midi's (all except a couple which I haven't put in the maps) So I would happily send you all the MIDI's, but I don't have them all. In truth, I don't even know how to compile them. I am assuming for vanilla you need a dehacked file to specify which midi tracks go with which level.

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

I am assuming for vanilla you need a dehacked file to specify which midi tracks go with which level.

Nothing of the sort. (Well, maybe it's possible with DeHackEd, but I've never actually seen that method in practice.) In SLADE, go to Archive | Import Files, and then import all the MIDIs you want into a WAD. Then you just have to rename all the MIDI entries--that's how to specify which tracks go to which level. For example, the track named D_RUNNIN will play in MAP01; D_STALKS plays in MAP02; D_COUNTD plays in MAP03, and so on.

Now, the old-school practice was to convert MIDI files to MUS format, but Chocolate Doom seems to play embedded MIDIs just fine at least, so I guess it won't be an issue since Choc Doom is our primary platform.

My only concern is that some of these MIDIs might not work properly in-game. I know in vanilla, songs could occasionally be cut short or have other defects if the tracks were too long or the filesizes were too great. I guess that's another thing to test!

Ragnor said:

Speaking of midis, would it be possible to get a wad with all the midis so far? Would be great to listen to them while testing the maps they could end up accompanying

I've yet to assign any to maps, so have a zip of them instead: http://www.mediafire.com/download/3i5oqslez338khf/mids.zip

Starpath said:

Do you still need Midi tunes? I'd love to help out.

If you got 'em, post 'em.