Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
wesleyjohnson

Level Design Reference

I submitted a copy of my level_design reference to the incoming site.
It contains tables and construction sequences for creating all kinds of common doom level structures.
Should be a help all designers, newbie and experienced.

It contains all my research notes on what works and what does not.
Many tables are included, like which steps a monster can go up,
how much headroom to have on steps, guides for Boom generalized linedefs, Boom locked doors, which textures to use for switches and the offsets needed to use just the switch in an inset, which textures are animated, textures with patches, transparent texture lists, guides on how to use transparent textures.

This is NOT a FreeDoom Design Guide as I previously discussed and does
not address those issues.

Revision 1 of "Level Design Guide" has been uploaded to incoming.
It fixes some errors in previous version, rehash of the transparent texture section, some fixes in Boom generalized floors and ceilings.
Adds sections on map flags, sound, nodebuilding, etc..

Please upload this somewhere else. If I remember it was pretty useful. But not sure if it needs to be on freedoom repo.
Upload anywhere for now, Ill host it on my ftp.

I must review it again. Some of the texture and switch specifics have
changed due to changes in the latest FreeDoom release.
At least one switch has changed.
It is based on looking at the FreeDoom textures.
I did try to get it uploaded somewhere else but failed; they wanted my email address and I am not willing to release that to public.

wesleyjohnson said:

I did try to get it uploaded somewhere else but failed; they wanted my email address and I am not willing to release that to public.

I think we've had this conversation before. Create a Gmail account and use that instead, you'll have to provide an alternate email address for account verification and lost password requests but that's all it appears to be used for, so I'm cheerfully using Gmail as a spam filter while keeping my primary address free of clutter.

Yes, and I did remember, but did not see any need to go into that detail. For a few days poked around some of them, and each one had something un-appealing about it. I suppose I will have to revisit that.

Being that it is based on measuring FreeDoom textures, it is going to be even harder to sell hosting it, to some other site, than it is here.
With the changes to FreeDoom switch textures, I will have to review that whole section.
It was meant to help FreeDoom developers (especially me). I do not know of any other substantial Doom development project.

wesleyjohnson said:

Being that it is based on measuring FreeDoom textures, it is going to be even harder to sell hosting it, to some other site, than it is here.

What about the docs/editing/ section of the idgames archive? Ty has no objections to content being updated so long as he's kept informed, or you could have a word with Bloodshedder - who hosts the odd Doom-related file for forum members.

Level Design Guide has been updated to Rev 3.
I sent a copy to be hosted by the DoomLegacy site.
I do not know exactly when the editing section will be back and when
it will show up.

I do not know Bloodshedder and Ty, and so it will take some time
to investigate those sites. If such a site wishes to copy the document off of DoomLegacy to host it also, that would be fine with me, or I will email to them directly. I think 3 or 4 sites would ensure availability.

Catoptromancy said:

Please upload this somewhere else. If I remember it was pretty useful. But not sure if it needs to be on freedoom repo.
Upload anywhere for now, Ill host it on my ftp.

Does this mean you've given up on using free.doomers.org?

Jon said:

Does this mean you've given up on using free.doomers.org?

It cannot be permanently hosted on the Freedoom FTP, only a few people can access that stuff. Maybe the Freedoom website can host it. Idgames may even host it.

No idea where to find it on the DoomLegacy site.

In Minnesota, stuff must get done before winter hits, so do not have much time right now to deal with the problems with getting setup to deal with these other Doom sites. Business things must get done too and it will be that way until January. For the next few months, it is just a matter of what is easy and quick.

DoomLegacy, through internal memos, has agreed to post it. As to when this happens is another matter. They have an old editing section with documents and plan to resurrect it.

FreeDoom has a home page with a downloads page, and it too could have
a developer download page containing guides and such documents.
Too much information scrolls off the end of the forum pages.
If there could be such a page, it would be the prime host site.