Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sharessa

This Is How We Roll

So is anyone else here into tabletop RPGs?

In related news, I just got the new Pathfinder rulebook. It's awesome.

When I was knee high to a dog my brother and I made a table top Doom game using cardboard and markers. It was based on rolling dice to move along a path with random enemies or environmental hazards. Weapon pickups were found along the way which would affect the damage done. It wasn't terribly advanced, but it had a default HP, and the dice was also used to determine how much damage you did to an enemy as well as the damage they did to you. I don't think either of us made it to the Spidermastermind, probably died in a slime pit. Other than that, the only dice game I've played are yahtzee and craps.

Now that I think about it, I really need to piece together a good doom table top game.

Heh I can't even remember when was the last time I played a tabletop game with dice.

I had one friend who I used to play D&D with when I was about 12, I gave up through lack of anyone else even remotely interested.

The PC D&D games are either frightfully boring grinds (Gold Box) or too long-winded (Baldur's Gate) for my liking.

I own the Doom boardgame but I'll probably never do anything with it beyond paint the pieces (really badly) someday.

What I've seen of Cyberpunk 2020, BattleTech and Shadowrun all look relevant to my interests.

The last dice game I played was an old game (but I still have it and play it every so often) called Can't Stop. It has a board shaped like a stop sign and has several columns of squares to put your pieces. The columns are numbered from 2 to 12. The 2 and 12 column has only two squares, while the others closer to the middle have more squares, with 7 having the most. You also have 4 dice. Roll them and add up the numbers of any two dice, and the numbers on the two remaining dice. For instance, you roll a 3, 4, 2, and 1. That could add up to a 7 and 3, a 5 and 5, or a 4 and 6. If you have a number that corresponds to a column with a piece on it, you move up. Otherwise...you lose it and any progress you've made on that turn. You have an unlimited amount of rolls, as long as you make good rolls, but you can stop anytime and save your progress for later. Oh, and if you reach the top of a column, that column is yours and can no longer be used by anyone, including you. So as more columns become unavailable, your options become more limited, and the game only gets harder.

I used to play Runequest (player) and Rêve de dragon (DM). Now… er…

I've often thought I'd like to make a simple single-player dice-based game, maybe even based and balanced on the Doom world.

TheCupboard said:

I've used the free Basic Fantasy RPG rules for a little while.

That looks really cool. I love how the guy offers it all for download for free. I'd totally pay his cost and extra for the proper printed rulebook.

TheCupboard said:

I've used the free Basic Fantasy RPG rules for a little while. The system works well with new players (my friends) and new DMs (me).

*looks at sample character sheet*

This looks pretty cool. Just the basics for dungeon crawling. No skills but I-

*2nd edition D&D saving throws*

._.

ducon said:

I used to play Runequest (player) and Rêve de dragon (DM). Now… er…

I really like the setting for Runequest. I never actually played it, but I have been playing some King of Dragon Pass which is set in the same world. I'm actually kind of basing my next campaign world off of it.

I played some, mostly AD&D, back in the 20th century.

My only experience is with the original White Wolf Storyteller system, but I enjoyed it a lot. I've played Vampire, Hunter, and Werewolf. Werewolf was my favorite by far.

Also at one point I made a Fallout RPG using the Storyteller rules and GM'd one session with a friend, but I haven't really done any role playing since then. All my role playing friends disappeared off the face of the earth.

There's a RP shop nearby that I've been wanting to get involved with, but I think the sort that congregate there might be a little too nerdy for my type.

This thread has inspired me to stay up till 3am formulating my own singleplayer pen-and-paper Doom "roguelike".

I already have weapon damage tables, monster health tables, a basic level generator and am thinking of ways to implement secrets, items, powerups and weapon pickups.

I'll go to Games Workshop and get some odd-sided dice today, or maybe just get a dicerolling app, or I had the idea of converting the whole thing to d6 as pretty much everyone has one of them around. Once I've playtested it and balanced it a bit, I'll publish it if anyone's interested?

Also, the Doom dev team were avid D&D players, with Carmack the DM and Romero the leader of the adventurer team. They'd had a campaign going for ages to find a mystical weapon called Quake, until Romero finally pushed the rules enough to get it and Carmack ended the campaign world. Many of their D&D game ideas flowed over into their computer game design.

Super Jamie said:

This thread has inspired me to stay up till 3am formulating my own singleplayer pen-and-paper Doom "roguelike".

I already have weapon damage tables, monster health tables, a basic level generator and am thinking of ways to implement secrets, items, powerups and weapon pickups.

I'll go to Games Workshop and get some odd-sided dice today, or maybe just get a dicerolling app, or I had the idea of converting the whole thing to d6 as pretty much everyone has one of them around. Once I've playtested it and balanced it a bit, I'll publish it if anyone's interested?

That sounds awesome, I remember reading an article linked here not too long ago that was about a wife and her husband playing a doom table top rpg. Anybody know if that game actually exists or was it just to make a story?

And if you do get that published (or even find a way to make it a nice software game, online maybe?) then will you get the BFG9000. Nonetheless, awesome idea man.

I play D&D 3.5, but the current campaign has been on hiatus for the last month, due to my the DM moving out into the country, and it's a hassle to organise out there.

Well, I'm done. Here's version 0.1 of my Doom Single Player Pen and Paper RPG:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/2iho84 (PDF 69kb)

It's completely unbalanced and there are definitely some bugs in it. I just noticed I left player shotgun damage as d3 (which you would get by rolling d6 and halving, rounding up). I'm not sure if I like the way it generates items either, and the rarity of some pickups is way off.

I've tried to make it as simple as possible, but it seems to have ended up quite complex (well, 4 pages of numbers). I tried to make it harder as maps go on with monster placement, it would be nice to make it capable of playing over 30 maps. I'd like to eventually add difficulty levels (more monsters/less powerups on hard, less/more on easy) if I can get play balanced ok.

Questions, suggestions, criticisms (or laughing at me tell me I'm a huge nerd as my girlfriend has been all morning) are all encouraged. If anyone else would like to playtest, I'd be very appreciative! I'll go buy some dice today and give it a spin myself.

Ninjalah said:

That sounds awesome, I remember reading an article linked here not too long ago that was about a wife and her husband playing a doom table top rpg. Anybody know if that game actually exists or was it just to make a story?

And if you do get that published (or even find a way to make it a nice software game, online maybe?) then will you get the BFG9000. Nonetheless, awesome idea man.

There is a Doom 3 tabletop board game. I have it, but nobody to play with.

And yes, there is BFG :)

hardcore D&D player here. Also have the Doom Board game (and expansion) which I use the minis for D&D all the time (Cyberdemons make great Minotaurs). I also wrote down ideas and came up for some rules on a Doom RPG using the d20 system. It seemed pretty balanced but was never playtested.

Ninjalah said:

Here you go.

DuckReconMajor said:

I thought he was talking about the Doom board game from this.

Could be. Rick Clark's game is probably the only noteworthy Doom-based tabletop RPG in existence though.

Used to play BattleTech, if that counts (its more of a tabletop wargame than an RPG, but there is tons of dice rolling). I still have all of my materials from it (a lot of it OOP), and I guess I would play it again if I could find some other people who aren't weird to do it with. BMR rules though, as the newer ruleset seems to have slowed down an already sluggish game (and introduced over a dozen new, balance altering, weapons).

Use3D said:

grew out of it

Can people stop saying this? it implies that games and similar amusements are for younger/lower life forms.

Monopoly.

It's a game where you play the role of an ambitious entrepreneur on a table top.

Super Jamie said:

Well, I'm done. Here's version 0.1 of my Doom Single Player Pen and Paper RPG:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/2iho84 (PDF 69kb)

I got some dice and had a couple of games of this. First game I got slaughtered by 3 Imps on my first encounter. Second game I am doing much better, I have a few weapons and am on MAP02.

It's quite difficult to last a long time, I would be dead if not for a Soulsphere in a secret, so I've added a small health pickup after every monster encounter. I'm thinking compusory Green Armor every 2nd or 3rd level would probably be a good idea too. I made some changes to the rules if anyone's interested:

Doom Single Player Pen and Paper RPG v0.2
http://www.sendspace.com/file/fylyhv (PDF 84kb)

Csonicgo said:

Can people stop saying this? it implies that games and similar amusements are for younger/lower life forms.

No that's not quite what I meant, in fact all our games were really fun, but the old crowd just isn't the same.

DuckReconMajor said:

But compared to Use3D, we are all lower life forms.

Took long enough for you to say something useful.