Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AveryMaurice

Garrys Mod and Doom

When on garrysmod.org to look for add ons, I found some pretty awesome Doom maps, models, props and all that.

One of the highlights was this recreation of E1M1 : http://www.garrysmod.org/downloads/?a=view&id=44045

And here are some others I found interesting :

Original Doom Weapons : http://www.garrysmod.org/downloads/?a=view&id=62738

Original Doom Power ups : http://www.garrysmod.org/downloads/?a=view&id=49744

Original Doom Imp : http://www.garrysmod.org/downloads/?a=view&id=58619

Doom 3 Hell Knight : http://www.garrysmod.org/downloads/?a=view&id=7683

So what are your opinions on these?

I don't own Garry's mod quite yet (as I currently don't have any Source games). Most of the stuff looks pretty cool, especially the E1M1 download. The imps looked disappointing... Are they really even 3d?

Abyssalstudios1 said:

I don't own Garry's mod quite yet (as I currently don't have any Source games). Most of the stuff looks pretty cool, especially the E1M1 download. The imps looked disappointing... Are they really even 3d?

That imp is not, which is kind of a relief since half of the Garrys Mod Doom stuff is ported from Doom 3 models.

I wouldn't prefer Doom to be recreated in something that 8 year olds will abuse by putting sex poses everywhere.

Whoo said:

I wouldn't prefer Doom to be recreated in something that 8 year olds will abuse by putting sex poses everywhere.

What? O.o

Any typical Garry's Mod player I encounter is younger than 12, and they put ragdolls in sex posititions every and go "lololol this is some funny shit"

Gary's Mod is retarded and a general time waster, just like World of Warcraft.

I own G-Mod and I've seen some people make the craziest things, and when I say CRAZY I mean it.
If you search on Youtube, theres a Mech that fully functions, pretty awesome.

Some of this Doom stuff makes it seem interesting.

Mithral_Demon said:

I own G-Mod and I've seen some people make the craziest things, and when I say CRAZY I mean it.
If you search on Youtube, theres a Mech that fully functions, pretty awesome.

Some of this Doom stuff makes it seem interesting.

Everything he said.

G-mod sucks and always will. My brother plays it all the time and all he does is make combine soldiers in a pile and through grenades at them. You might as well play starcraft with no enemies.

40oz said:

G-mod sucks and always will. My brother plays it all the time and all he does is make combine soldiers in a pile and through grenades at them. You might as well play starcraft with no enemies.

Or Doom with -nomonsters

I've seen some pretty intense Rube Goldberg machines made using GMod. Beyond that it has very little appeal to me.

I have no idea what Garry's Mod is, but I love seeing recreations of Doom levels in other gaming engines.

Sadly, none of them are really any good, and just end up showing me why I love Doom so much. It is however interesting to see how the enemies and player from other games perform in a Doom scenario.

I find most modern FPS tend to have more powerful and smart enemies, like Q2 enemies in Episode 1 can really drag your health down and Doom 3 Z-Secs are damn hard to hit. Older games tend to have easier enemies, Duke3D's bad dudes like-for-like in a Doom map is a cakewalk.

Super Jamie said:

I find most modern FPS tend to have more powerful and smart enemies, like Q2 enemies in Episode 1 can really drag your health down and Doom 3 Z-Secs are damn hard to hit. Older games tend to have easier enemies, Duke3D's bad dudes like-for-like in a Doom map is a cakewalk.

That's generally because you fight less enemies in newer games. In Doom, enemies are like popcorn: even if you wipe a bunch out, there's bound to be more around the corner. :p

Oddly, Half-Life 2 subverted that with enemies that are both easy to kill and few in number.

40oz said:

Garrys Mod was made for people to be able to build things in the Half-Life engine without needing any experience with it. For Coop play and construction, the game is damn fun.

It's not supposed to be a massive FPS shooter game where you turn corners and blow peoples heads off, its not really an FPS at all unless you play Deathmatch.

avery1555 said:

Garrys Mod was made for people to be able to build things in the Half-Life engine without needing any experience with it.

Unfortauntly, the easier you make something, the more crap you are likely to see for it. Especially if it is modern. Though there are a few good things that come out of them.

The big problem with those DOOM conversions is people don't realize DOOM's graphics were designed to use non-square pixels. The proportions of everything in that map are wrong as a result.

This looks as interesting as reading 100 pages straight of /b/

In reference to this: http://www.garrysmod.org/downloads/?a=view&id=44045

What's the point? Why create a remake that is pretty much exactly the same as the original? Don't get me wrong, I would absolutely love to see a reinterpretation of the original Doom, but if the end result is shit like the classic doom mod for Doom3, don't bother. If your aim is to create the exact same experience as the old game, what IS the point? Are there any *good* Doom reinterpretations out there?

Shaviro said:

In reference to this: http://www.garrysmod.org/downloads/?a=view&id=44045

What's the point? Why create a remake that is pretty much exactly the same as the original? Don't get me wrong, I would absolutely love to see a reinterpretation of the original Doom, but if the end result is shit like the classic doom mod for Doom3, don't bother. If your aim is to create the exact same experience as the old game, what IS the point? Are there any *good* Doom reinterpretations out there?

Why particularly didn't you like Classic Doom 3? Apart from the fact the D3 engine is dark, the monster AI is not fun, and the weapons are kinda unbalanced that's probably the highest quality remake I've seen.

There are total conversions maps with Q2 enemies and guns of all 4 Ultimate Doom episodes for Quake 2. Some levels are pretty fun (mostly due to the Light Guard AI being smart but not too smart) and some are really quite difficult both because of higher-tier enemies and lack of automap. I speedran E1 for Q2 just this weekend and it didn't really inspire me to play the rest through.

Apart from those, I've only seen single maps for various FPSes. In the "Post your Doom picture" thread I put some shots up of MAP01 in Q2 just the other day.

Super Jamie said:

Why particularly didn't you like Classic Doom 3? Apart from the fact the D3 engine is dark, the monster AI is not fun, and the weapons are kinda unbalanced that's probably the highest quality remake I've seen.

The Doom3 engine is as dark as you make it. You can easily make bright maps with it. After having worked with the engine for 5 years, I'd know :P

Anyway. I think it fails as a remake. At least a remake with a point to it. In my opinion, the team took the classic doom levels and made a mockery out of them. They brought back the original layout and architecture only to throw a little extra superflous detail here and there. The end result looked worse than the original Doom and played horribly. Taking the old abstract maps, brushing them off, and bringing them into a new engine is never going to work.

The challenge in a Doom remake is, as I see it, to bring the Doom feeling back, but doing so without directly copying the game's maps and enemies. The challenge is to capture Doom in a new form. Any hack of a Level Designer can do what classic doom3 did.

But that would be a project inspired by the original Doom, rather than a remake.

Following your logic, any Doom WAD which has a relatively classic look/feel is a "remake" of Romero and Sandy's original works.

I don't agree.
A remake would still include the basic plot, weapons, monsters and locations. "Copying directly" will never make sense and never be a proper remake. Why bother?