Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jute

Maps that change very significantly and without warning

Inspired by the ZDoom vs. GZDoom discussion, in which the dynamic nature of Doom maps was mentioned. Let's talk about maps that change very significantly and without warning. The only one that comes immediately to mind for me is Doom 64's "Breakdown".

MAP27 of NDCP1, "No Brakes" does this. I was quite surprised by it.

One of the rooms in MAP01 of Icarus. I was amazed. Vanilla, too. :O

EDIT: 10 Sector MAP11 is also pretty ingenious. It's Boom, but considering the limitations the project sets, it's an incredibly diverse map.

The one I remember most is blood.wad. Back in 1995 when I first played it it was quite surprising how some areas suddenly looked completely different.

Also noteworthy is KDiZD Z1M8. It doesn't move sectors but does a lot of texture changes that change the look of some areas quite drastically.

The Millennium boss map....:(

...in before the obvious joke, I mean other than turning into vapor, it actually does change very very significantly and awesomely via Chris Lutz magic. Pity it'll likely never be seen :(

esselfortium said:

...in before the obvious joke, I mean other than turning into vapor, it actually does change very very significantly and awesomely via Chris Lutz magic. Pity it'll likely never be seen :(

Except by cool people like us.

[WH]-Wilou84 said:
There's this cool map by Xaser, "Sector", E3M0 in ZPack if I recall correctly.

That.

It really deserves to be seen.

esselfortium said:

makes me curious. what's with that anyway? will maps made for millennium ever be released or are there other people interested in finishing the megawad some day... i remember some screenshots that looked cool back then.

There's a map late in Vile Flesh - I think it's map 27 - where you go back and forth between two different dimensions. There are some pretty stunning visual tricks used to pull it off, and it's purely vanilla too.

Torr Samaho said:

makes me curious. what's with that anyway? will maps made for millennium ever be released or are there other people interested in finishing the megawad some day...

What? It's being worked on. In fact the whole thing is done, just waiting on a sky texture and someone needs to fix that stuck Baron in map4. Should take about 8 years.

[WH]-Wilou84 said:
There's this cool map by Xaser, "Sector", E3M0 in ZPack if I recall correctly.

I also agree about this level. It was really neat. :)