Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doom Marine

Reading the Doom Source Code

Take a good text editor. None of this notepad crap. Take something like Programmer's Notepad, Notepad++, Notepad2, or whatever else. Use the Google if you don't have them already.

Extract the source code in a directory. Open your super notepad that's not the windows crap. Mash the shift+ctrl+f keys, it'll bring up the "find in files" dialog box (at least is does so with programmer's notepad). Type something you want to find (for example, MT_CYBORG) and in "Find where" select the directory where you extracted the source code. Leave the "file type" field empty so it'll look through all the files. Hit enter, and you get a list of all the instances of MT_CYBORG anywhere in all the files from the source code.

Never crossed my mind that I'm legitimately able to unarchive TGZ files, and look up/experiment on the very basic LINUX, still, Doom program.

Heh, I used to write C code in the default notepad.exe all the time. of course, now that I'm on a UNIX system, I use kwrite...

Gez said:

Take a good text editor. None of this notepad crap. Take something like Programmer's Notepad, Notepad++, Notepad2, or whatever else. Use the Google if you don't have them already.

Extract the source code in a directory. Open your super notepad that's not the windows crap. Mash the shift+ctrl+f keys, it'll bring up the "find in files" dialog box (at least is does so with programmer's notepad). Type something you want to find (for example, MT_CYBORG) and in "Find where" select the directory where you extracted the source code. Leave the "file type" field empty so it'll look through all the files. Hit enter, and you get a list of all the instances of MT_CYBORG anywhere in all the files from the source code.

Notepad++ is by far my favourite. It's easy to use, and supports many languages.