Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Craigs

Rest in peace Esa Repo

Do0minat0r said:

On a side note, I think the 2008 Cacoward article about Back to Basics should be updated, because it says, "Let us hope we see some new Espi maps in the future.", and this is now an inappropriate comment to make. I believe it should be replaced by news about this terrible loss and condolences to his family/relatives.

I don't see how the comment is inappropriate.

exp(x) said:

I don't see how the comment is inappropriate.

Okay, it's probably not inappropriate. But it is definitely out of date and feels like rubbing insult into injury. And Scythe 2 was edited just a few months ago in '05's awards.

@Krisparava: I thought doing both would be the way to go, not one or the other.

Sad news this. I never knew him directly, but he was one of those guys whose name I saw popping up on Doomworld through the years, and its like another femiliar face gone. He was way too young for something like this.

Rest in peace mate.

Do0minat0r said:

But it is definitely out of date and feels like rubbing insult into injury.

It's a testament to the amount of potential he had. I say it should stay as it is.

Torr Samaho said:

How breathtaking are some of those, it seems like more of a massive-scale RPG than a Doom WAD.

I love how he made Back 2 Basics as "simple" after making complex ZDoom stuff, yet it still looks and plays better than many others' attempts at making a complex map.

The flame which burns twice as bright burns half as long.

DuckReconMajor said:

It's a testament to the amount of potential he had. I say it should stay as it is.

That makes sense, on second thought.

But I think that, in addition to the mention this Dec. 10, last year's entry should be updated with an "Edit:" section to mention the tragic news.

It's sad to me that we have lost a fantastic mapper and somebody that as far as I can tell was a very kind and caring person, but at the same time my lack of affiliation with him leaves me feeling almost indifferent.

The most I ever said to him was 'hang in there!' or whatever during his troubles. Not once did I ever actually 'talk' to the man.

I feel for this loss, but only so much. I regret never knowing him.

Do0minat0r said:

But I think that, in addition to the mention this Dec. 10, last year's entry should be updated with an "Edit:" section to mention the tragic news.

When you read something somewhere about, say, Albert Einstein's theory of relatively, the article never ends with a paragraph about the shame of his passing.

Wow, I didn't know about the amputation.
To me he is another regular I never got a chance to know. That is a loss twice over.
RIP.

Creaphis said:

When you read something somewhere about, say, Albert Einstein's theory of relatively, the article never ends with a paragraph about the shame of his passing.

Albert Einstein probably died of old (for the time, at least) age, like most others do. Espi, on the other hand, died very prematurely due to a very unfortunate occurance.

Do0minat0r said:

Albert Einstein probably died of old (for the time, at least) age, like most others do. Espi, on the other hand, died very prematurely due to a very unfortunate occurance.

The last thing we need when reading about his great works is "Oh hey, by the way, he's dead."

If you want to continue this discussion i suggest you make another thread. This isn't the place for it.

I just finished playing through Back to Basics. Man, that was a pretty good mapset. A bit long, but still pretty damn good. It makes me sad that there will never be a sequel to it :(

He was such a gifted mapper that, even after looking in the editor, I still can't figure out how the hell he created some of those jaw dropping effects. The community has lost a truly prolific talent. Deepest condolences to his family and friends.

Do0minat0r said:

On a side note, I think the 2008 Cacoward article about Back to Basics should be updated, because it says, "Let us hope we see some new Espi maps in the future.", and this is now an inappropriate comment to make. I believe it should be replaced by news about this terrible loss and condolences to his family/relatives.

Do0minat0r said:

Okay, it's probably not inappropriate. But it is definitely out of date and feels like rubbing insult into injury.

Yeah, I can see how someone might feel that way, like perhaps if they were so dim as to be unable to understand such a basic concept as the linear progression of time.

fraggle said:

Yeah, I can see how someone might feel that way, like perhaps if they were so dim as to be unable to understand such a basic concept as the linear progression of time.

Perhaps he has come unstuck in time.

Rest in peace Espi. Godspeed. Where you are now, I truly believe you will be able to create even more amazing stuff, now that the limitations of this life are behind you.

Thank you for sharing your talents with us. And thank you for your courage.

I have to clear out his computer later this week, I'll save anything he was working on and upload it somewhere, if that's what people want, but I don't know where it would be... He never really spoke about it much and all I ever did was play the stuff. Is there a certain folder where this stuff normally gets saved?

He was my whole world and I miss him more than anything...

- His girlfriend

Please accept all our condolences, Visi.

Even just knowing him in a recreational capacity we're all amazed at what a creative and jovial person he was, he must have been an incredible friend and partner to go through life with. He was known by many and appreciated by countless more. Your loss weighs heavily on us all.

Uploading his remaining files would be wonderful if possible. Everyone organises their stuff differently, but I imagine they're in a folder called Doom or Doom Maps or similar. Possibly that folder is in My Documents, or just off a drive in My Computer. The Windows Search function is accessible by the F3 key, a search for "doom" would likely turn up something. Some of his existing map names to look for would be "b2b", "laitos", or "e2m1er". His latest unfinished work may be prefixed with "fb" or called "flashback".

Thankyou for posting here, it must be difficult. Any help we can provide, all you need do is ask.