Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ptoing

Silly Colormap Hacks (updated)

Experimented a bit with the colormap and tried what it looks like if the lightlevels were inverted. It looks rather strange.

I thought perhaps someone else might find this mildly interesting so I uploaded it to wadhost.

EDIT: New file with the old wad and 2 new ones of equal "value"
http://wadhost.fathax.com/files/chacks.zip

This looks really cool, especially sice things that were fullbright like skies are now pitch black. Try playing E3M8.

Haha, yeah. One thing I noticed is that it does not take to transparent stuff (most projectiles in Zdoom) kindly. They become virtually invisible :o

Although this mod in itself is rather useless, it can give you some good ideas of unorthodox lighting patterns that looks really nice.

Neat...

Edit: Okay, sorry, that's just too fucking cool. For some reason I get a really spooky feeling when playing with this, like I'm walking around with a flash light or something. Also, all the skies are black instead of full-bright which adds to the spook factor.

Really nice work here, I should definitely add something like this to Prisma's capabilities (sorry, no recent work on it).

I think this is something worth exploring further. I'm gonna be messing around with colormap inversion as well. Again, nice work.

That's cool. I never messed with the colormap. Not sure if I'd know how unless you just save as bmp and edit pixels like normal textures.

Heh, I am happy someone is enjoying this :)

Earthquake: If all goes well I will soon have a way to quickly convert stuff how I need to to make relative quick proper edits to the colormap, then I will go back to actually working on my colormap improvement plan.

EarthQuake said:

I think this is something worth exploring further.

Keeping in mind that this trick isn't guaranteed to work on all Doom ports. A hardware renderer like GZDoom's doesn't use the colormap at all, for example.

This is pretty awesome, and creepy with the "right" maps. You should upload this to the archives. :)

Jodwin said:

This is pretty awesome, and creepy with the "right" maps. You should upload this to the archives. :)

But better modify it a bit first so that the 'fullbright' level is not completely black. I think that'd make it a bit more interesting if one could actually still see these parts. ;)

Graf Zahl said:

But better modify it a bit first so that the 'fullbright' level is not completely black. I think that'd make it a bit more interesting if one could actually still see these parts. ;)

But isn't complete darkness supposed to be completely dark? :P

Jodwin said:

But isn't complete darkness supposed to be completely dark? :P

In a computer game? No.

Gez said:

In a computer game? No.

Well that depends, tho Graf Zahl is right.
I upped a txt file to tell them to delete it for now since I will make adjustments.
Those will be adding alternate colormap files tho.

Nothing that can be done about that.
I guess with this spectres are more effective in areas of the map which originally were light.

Man I loved this. Spooky. The c_invert one especially.

Everything flashes dark whenever you get hit, and the chaingun makes everything go much darker when you fire. This made Doom scary again.

Liteamp goggles are a bad idea. Kinda obvious in retrospect.

At one point I had liteamp goggles on, and a rad suit at the same time, and that black-green color scheme thing going on there was pretty freaky.

Ptoing said:

Haha, yeah. One thing I noticed is that it does not take to transparent stuff (most projectiles in Zdoom) kindly. They become virtually invisible :o

I was wondering about this.

I really like the flashlight-eque effect this mod causes. I wish it would work more predictably with the Doom 2 maps, which are often not bright enough to be made very dark by this mod.

Kyka said:

Man I loved this. Spooky. The c_invert one especially.

Everything flashes dark whenever you get hit, and the chaingun makes everything go much darker when you fire. This made Doom scary again.

I really liked this. It's a little like the player is amateurishly closing their eyes when firing.

wow, this is really cool.. you could make a level centered around this idea with the right design, it really is like you have a torch (FLASHLIGHT) in some places

awesome, thanks a lot! :D

As usual with raw colormap replacements, sector light variation, fullbright sprites and gunflashes tend to look bad. Otherwise, cinvert makes the player resemble a Shadow Knight, shunnig light and with his darkness casting around him. clines is good probably for testing light diminishing. And cring is a middle of the line between original and cinvert.

Anyone know if this still works? I really want to try it but it's not working with new or old gzdoom versions. It loads fine but the colors remain default. Unless there is an option in the menus I'm not seeing to turn it on.

3 minutes ago, MamboWitch said:

Anyone know if this still works? I really want to try it but it's not working with new or old gzdoom versions. It loads fine but the colors remain default. Unless there is an option in the menus I'm not seeing to turn it on.

The answer to that question was already posted way back then.

On jeudi 3 septembre 2009 at 5:53 PM, Gez said:

Keeping in mind that this trick isn't guaranteed to work on all Doom ports. A hardware renderer like GZDoom's doesn't use the colormap at all, for example.

Colormap hacks will not work if you test them in a port that ignores the colormap.