Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Starke Von Oben

Coming back to editing zdoom, need help.

Haven't been editing Doom for years, but I've got a lot of free time now and would like to get back into it.

I used to use Wadauthor, Wintex and Dehacked but notice a lot of new stuff is available, and the technology in doom editing seems to have increased dramatically.

Could anyone point me in the right direction with the more up to date counterparts? What would you recommend?

Thanks!

Many people use DoomBuilder (1 or 2, though 1 is no longer supported.)

http://www.doombuilder.com/

Also, XWE or Slumped for merging wads, textures, importing custom monsters etc etc.

XWE or SLumpeD

Also the ZDoom wiki is massively useful, though you probably already know that.

http://zdoom.org/wiki/Main_Page

I have done very little dehacked work, but people still use it, I am pretty sure.

Dehacked is no longer the preferred method to modify actors in ZDoom. It is advised to learn the "DECORATE" language (so named because, initially, all it could do was decoration objects; since then it has grown to accommodate monsters, weapons and other complicated actors and now ZDoom has externalized all its actors to this format, but the name stuck).

DECORATE is straightforward and powerful.

Better use DB2. Kinda hate it personally, but its much better. I hate the 2nd because I'm used to the first. :)

I'd also recommend not getting used to XWE, or if you do, "make backups". ALWAYS. XWE is perfect for me, but its habit of screwing up my wads over some silly things, or transforming my DECORATE text files suddenly into an IMAGE... well, all of this is rare, but it happens.

Dehacked is pretty useless in my eyes now, except for the smaller changes. If you want to create anything new, Decorate is the choice and is limitless. If you get into that, its overwhelming at first, but so easy when you just give it a chance.

Also, if you want more than vanilla editing for maps as well, be sure to map for ZDoom. Again, so many possibilities its astounding.

Decorate looks amazing.

Any basic tutorials? I know limited programming, but understand the basics involved. The information looks somewhat overwhelming, so if anyone could point me in the direction of a basic tutorial (such as how to make a new object like a tree) I would be very thankful.

Well, if you search the Wiki you can pretty much gain any information you want on all this. I don't know about any tutorial, so I'll just write some info for you to understand. Hopefully, it'll help you.

A simple DECORATE file on any wad (just a text file, call it decorate - you can also have one decorate to load other files with various names, this is technically pointless but needed to organize your stuff when you have a lot - lets skip this).

You can have a list of all actors from all ZDoom supported game here: http://zdoom.org/wiki/Classes

Say you want to replicate the big trees in Doom. Thats all the code you would have:

ACTOR BigTree 54
{
  Game Doom
  Radius 32
  Height 108
  +SOLID
  States
  {
  Spawn:
    TRE2 A -1
    Stop
  }
}

Each Actor is really just split in 2. Before "States", you have properties and flags. The tree is simple, and uses sprite TRE2A. -1 means it will never end. You have its height, radius..

+SOLID is a flag, which just means what it says. All you would have to do is make sure to have the TRE2 sprite, and thats it. Really simple, but its just a tree. You would have to name him something else and give him another number (the number is used in the Editor mostly, its the number that spawns this actor), because the name is already used by the original tree.

However, lets say you only wanted to use the original tree as a base for a new tree, that also replaces the original BigTree. You could do this:
ACTOR MyPersonalBigTree : BigTree replaces BigTree
{
  States
  {
  Spawn:
    MYT2 A -1
    Stop
  }
}
This is assuming I have some new sprites called MYT2, which is your own tree. The first line means that the actor MyPersonalBigTree is based (:) on the BigTree. From there, I only changed what I wanted to change. "replaces BigTree" means that all BigTree will spawn this instead.

I remember using XWE briefly before I stopped editing Doom, a few years back. Could someone remind me how I can put my own textures into the program? I so want to use my old textures in my level design, but I've forgotten the method.

I recall it's rather easy.