Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
justsomemusicguy

Question about using custom skins

In my WAD, the Player's character is not a Doom Marine. So I've created a new player class in the WAD's DECORATE lump.
I've defined the actor states as well.

Now I have another WAD, containing a S_SKIN lump.
This WAD should be loaded with the other WAD so the skin can be used in combination with the player class.

Here's the problem: although there's only one player class to use, the one defined in the DECORATE lump, the skin is always set to 'Base' or the Marine skin, unless I change it using the ZDoom console or the command line prompt.

Is there a way to set my custom skin as the default for the game when my WAD is loaded?
Or is there another way to change the CVAR 'skin' other than in the ZDoom console or command line?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Why do you need a skin at all? Can't you use the custom sprites directly in your custom class' states?

Gez said:

Why do you need a skin at all? Can't you use the custom sprites directly in your custom class' states?

I thought using the S_SKIN lump would be easier, because of the crouchsprite, face and sound properties.
But now that I think of it, I don't need crouchsprites anyway so I might as well just replace the sounds and throw the whole skin WAD away.

Thanks Gez, that'd be a lot easier.
I feel kinda stupid now not coming up with that myself...