Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Georgef551

My Elevator Hobby Gets Me on TV!

I know most of you could not care any less about "Elevator Videoography", but apperently, when I pitched the idea to Channel 5's Chronicle show, just for kicks, a few weeks later, I get E-mails that they actually wanted to do it, and on August 31'st, we did!

Chronicle is a news/entertainment show (30 minutes) which they explore things like travel, food, off-beat news, and hobbies. Since they're known to do shows on odd stuff once in awhile, I pitched it. The rest, they say, is history.

We sepent a couple hours doing interviews, fake building/elevator entrances and exits, multiple rides, and so forth. It's an Elevator Enthusiast's dream, with, or without, a TV crew.

The real reson behind the idea for a show wasn't to ber all: "HEY! LOOK AT ME!!". It's that us enthusiasts are given a very hard time with security, and employees (I haven't ran into those issues yet), and after 9/11, people go overboard and delare it terroristic in nature. I wanted to make people aware of the hobby, and how harmless it is. If they don't want us there for libel, that's fine. It's pointless fear, that's not.
Also, I give mention to those who started this whole YouTube thing, and illuded to them in the interview process (they wanted it to be about me, but I tried to sneak references in on the popular enthusiasts, albeit poorly).
The show will have an interresting mix of them shooting me doing my thing, and interweaving it with my YouTube shots of these elevators as the show is being recorded. It'll be interresting how it'll come out.

When it'll air, I don't know. They said about late this month possibly. If you're not served by WCVB tv 5 Boston, via cable, sattelite, or bunny-ears, you won't see the initial airing. It should be available online.

===========================================
Here's my raw footage, which will also be used on the show, in whole, in part(s), or some video, not at all.
I'm linking them, because I don't like the wimpy-sized embed windows:
----------

{Union Station}
ThyssenKrupp BIG Hydraulic Elevator (rear).
An actual run, no camera inside: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeM7_Lo_db8
Actual run, with crew inside: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DK9dmG2zIIY
Me looking at floor counter, buttons, and staged entry/exit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Etp_9JUNUJs
----------
{Former Galleria/Fashion Outlet Mall Parking Garage}
Montgomery HIGHdraulic [Blue] Was broke last visit. Works now.
Fake entry into the elevator (didn't know that initially): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOf-6JJh9dM
Actual run, with crew inside: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPG-KtKcEvk

Montgomery HIGHdraulic [Red#2] DEATH TRAP
Multiple takes on Hell's Elevator, with amusing ending: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dq70dFGJ9ow
======================================
There it all is. Can't wait to see the final result on the show! :D

Krispavera said:

Honors and benefits already at the age of 37!

(Your Youtube account says you're 37)

That's because, I AM 37. :)

Oldest enthusiast I know of is 46.

Super Jamie said:

Can I get your autograph?

Lol.... :)
I'd hate it to get to that point. People will see my cursive penmanship is that of a 2'nd grader.

Georgef551 said:

People will see my cursive penmanship is that of a 2'nd grader.

Penmanship, IQ, social graces...it's a rich tapestry.

Will they show a clip of the glass elevator from the end of the original Willy Wonka film? If not, I'm not interested.

When I saw the thread title, I figured it would be COPS or something.

"We've had reports of a strange man standing in an elevator while filming. Sir, please put the camcorder DOWN!"

Also, it's spelled "eluded".

Thyere's a crapload of errors, at least you get what I'm stating.

In this state (Massachusetts, the Coward State), I wouldn't be shocked if there WOULD be a Cop on the other side.

As for the Willy Wonka reference, I don'tknow if it'll be used in the show. Makes sense if they did. Will have to wait and see the final result (unknown when it'll air as of now).

Danarchy said:

When I saw the thread title, I figured it would be COPS or something.

"We've had reports of a strange man standing in an elevator while filming. Sir, please put the camcorder DOWN!"

Also, it's spelled "eluded".

lol. The proper word usage eluded you both. God I love being an English major. >.< Alluded is correct.

doom2day said:

What exactly is this hobby? Filming elevators?

I think it may be analogous to someone having a Porsche fetish. All Porsches are pretty much the same. They have pedals, a steering wheel, some sort of transmission, a hood, an engine, wheels, glass, roof (some removable), tires, seats etc... yet it's fun to enjoy how each one is unique, the styling of each, the distinct performance and handling of each, the various specs, how the various models of Porsches evolved--how many of them have diminished over time, how there has been one main stay for many decades (the 911), the racing heritage of Porsche etc. etc. Except in the case of George, instead of having a car fetish he has an .. umm.. elevator fetish. Elevators have cables, doors, buttons, lights, ceiling, floor, walls, emergency response system, and whatever else elevators have that I'm not aware of.

Hellbent said:

I think it may be analogous to someone having a Porsche fetish. All Porsches are pretty much the same. They have pedals, a steering wheel, some sort of transmission, a hood, an engine, wheels, glass, roof (some removable), tires, seats etc... yet it's fun to enjoy how each one is unique, the styling of each, the distinct performance and handling of each, the various specs, how the various models of Porsches evolved--how many of them have diminished over time, how there has been one main stay for many decades (the 911), the racing heritage of Porsche etc. etc. Except in the case of George, instead of having a car fetish he has an .. umm.. elevator fetish. Elevators have cables, doors, buttons, lights, ceiling, floor, walls, emergency response system, and whatever else elevators have that I'm not aware of.

Same reasons, except for the differences you mentioned, but also:

* How fast they run.
* How smooth they run.
* How much noise they (hopefully do not) make.
* Chimes (Old-skool bells = bonus points).
* Floor counters (bonus points for old-skool number strips, not newer imitations).
* Scenic views (big plus).