Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Starke Von Oben

How long have you been coming to DoomWorld?

I've been coming here since I was 15 (25 now), but never registered at the forums till recently.

I remember going to my local cyber cafe back then, paying £5.50 an hour to download as much Doom stuff that me and my friend could get hold of. The computers didn't have CD writers, as they weren't that common back then, and we had to span all the stuff on flobby disks (such a pain in the arse when you got home and one of the disks was corrupted... used to feel like such a waste of time and dissapointment!).

My first level editor was DoomCad. My friend introduced me to it, and at first I thought he was lying; I didn't believe it was possible for someone to make their own levels for a 3D game from home! The editor used to crash like fuck on his 486 PC, mostly do to the fact that we didn't know what we were doing back then. I remember clearly as we waited in anticipation during the nodebuild process, only to be presented with an error message that would crash the whole thing!

Doom was one of the first things I searched for when I got the internet back in like '95 or so. So I think I ran across Doomworld soon after it started up, though I didn't realize (or care perhaps) that there were comments on news items. When I noticed that there were forums, I signed up, and it was one of the very first message boards I was on.

And what was about...

<---- then.

I started coming to Doomworld a little bit before Boom (2.02?) was released (1998) because I remember the news article when it came out. I think that was the same year as Doomworld started.

However, as far as the forums go, I lurked for quite a while before I registered. My registration date is Dec 2000 so I must have lurked for a couple of years. O_O Mind you, I'm not sure that the forums are as old as the site.

Besides the myriad shovelware CDs, FAQs and textfiles I could get my hands on in the 90s before I had internet, I have casually browsed Doom community websites since about 2000. Every now and then I'll play a WAD I don't have, and remember it from playing in DOS Vanilla as a kid.

I was active on Doom Connector for a short amount of time (and wrote a webpage with an installation guide, does anyone remember that?) but Australian dialup pings and the fact it was mostly full of fuckwits turned me off continuing with it.

Around 2007 I finally gave up looking for new games that were any good and started to play Doom almost exclusively. I'd also given up most of my hobbies, friends and social life (which is a whole other story) as well as other webpages like Reddit, so I decided to pay more attention to Doomworld and occasionally ZDoom forums.

I registered here in 2008, and after being blown away by SlayeR's Doom Redemption, I have posted probably daily for half of this year.

I found NewDoom in 2001, signed up there. Then Doom Center shortly after, and finally Doomworld in 2002.

I've been lurking since about 2005, mainly just to check the /newstuff chronicles, and finally registered in July of '08. I was hesitant to post until a couple months ago, though, because I never had anything to say and didn't want to piss off the established community members.

I've been registered here under another username since 2006, but I've been interested in the site content since around 2004.

I've also been lurking around DRDTeam and ZDoom for about the same time as well.

Enjay said:

Mind you, I'm not sure that the forums are as old as the site.

This forum is only here since May 2000, before that it was some other ugly thing.

Since 2002. I was losered sometime in 2004 for stupid shit but again I had a self-imposed exile for several years, coming back in early 2009 with apology PMs I had my status reversed and am contributing useful stuff once again.

Now with NewDoom being very user unfriendly and hostile (Especially Phoebus' new policies, which I will not discuss here), I consider this my primary Doom forum to post on and the Abyss a secondary.

Since early 2004 I think, judging from the date I registered here. Its probably the only doom site I still bother to visit frequently, the rest isn't interesting me or is pretty much dead.

The first time I ran across this site was probably around '98 or '99. Though I didn't register until I started an active role in the community until, I think, early 2006 (@ Skulltag). Apparently I didn't find it pertinent to join up here until later that year for some reason.

Let's see... I registered in 2000, but I think I may have lurked for a while back in '99, I'm not quite sure. Heh, oh, that mention of DoomCAD takes me back. Used to be my favorite editor, too. Newer versions of Windows not being able to run it was the best darn thing that ever happened to me. Regarding the crashing, I don't think it was you, that thing was buggy as all hell.

Probably since 2000. I would go to the school's library so I could download wads onto a floppy and take them home. My searches would usually take me to New Doom or Doomworld or other Doom sites. I didn't register on the forums until 2003, which was around the time I got broadband at home.

Too damn long. A friend pointed the "5 Years of Doom" article out to me, which I guess would be late 1998 or early 1999 or so.

I lurked on the forums forever, and had a previous account that I never posted with and ultimately lost the login credentials for. That's when I created this one...

Late 2000 I think. It was a neat place to check out all those nifty source ports what made doom good. Registered later in June 2001 during what was the second over haul of the forums. First forums I ever joined, and my gateway to this fantastical new internet.

I remember:

• post hell being green, probably because it was a ripoff of the something awful gas chamber.
  • reading the massive 9/11 thread.
  • lüt 'dying' and responsible for something like %10 of doomworlds traffic
  • ling retiring and posting titties.
  • Doomboy. Please come back Doomboy! ^_^
  • acha-acha-acha-action doom!
  • Newdoom being hacked
I've been coming here for nine years and will probably continue to do so until a big old 404 sits where the rock's inquisitive blue face once stood.

I guess what I'm saying is that I am an oldfag.

I remember coming here before the Doom source was released, so I guess 1998 sometime. I posted on the original forum thing but I didn't bother registering on the new, fancy forums for a while after it switched. I hung out more on Doom Nation back in those days.

I think I started visiting Doomworld late 2000 and then finally registered a year later to the forums trying to ask for help for an overambitious megawad.

Since before the Cacowards started. Only bothered with the forums for a shortwhile after my registration date, was caught up in too many forums as well as uni, lurked for the rest of the year on and off every time I started playing Doom again, and now I post reasonably regularly.

off and on since the day I registered. I'm kind of disappointed to see that I am one of the earliest people to have registered who is posting on this site these days. Where have all the old vets gone? Where have all the flowers gone?

When did doomworld open?

A long time, especially long since I have done basically nothing to advance the community, I do not map and if I did I would never find time for it what with school and all, I just love playing it.