Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Erik

Scythe X - Episodes 1 to 2 released.

Demonologist said:

Is there more ammo for BFG? There was energy for the one shot only, and after that shot I had to to ssg him from... er... balcony at the beginning. Say that I've missed something. =)

You can have ammo remaining from earlier maps.

If you find E1 a bit dull and easy in the gameplay department. I really recommend playing with multiplayer items turned on. (-solo-net in prboom). That will add some action for sure.

Erik said:

I played each level from scratch. No matter - that cyber isn't of any significant trouble if you know what to do. =)

Erik said:

If you find E1 a bit dull and easy in the gameplay department. I really recommend playing with multiplayer items turned on. (-solo-net in prboom). That will add some action for sure.

That's ok and a good warm-up, and that's actually a purpose of the first episode, right? Then it gets harder and I suppose difficulty will be increasing in the upcoming episodes towards pure madness. =) I must say that I highly enjoyed gameplay in this demo, and I'll definitely enjoy it in full version. Top notch. ;-)

I thought the first episode was perfect. Short, sweet maps with great visual style to serve as an introduction to a mapset that will ultimately kick my ass soon. I like when the first couple maps are a little bit easier than the rest of the set.

Loved the first 6 maps, loved loved loved em. The design is great, the music is great, the gameplay is great. Some of the secrets are so well hidden, you really feel accomplished for finding them. It's incredible the variation you've put into even just the exits! This is some amazing creativity. Just wow.

The in-your-face crowd of Imps on MAP07 was marginally fair, and MAP08 annoyed me with so many hitscanners then teleporting a Cyberdemon in your face in the dark? Meh. People always whinge about Cybers in maps and I always say stfu, but that one was cheap. I'll play the rest when I'm not raging so much :P

Also, Manc corpses can slide back and forth forever on the solar panels, which looks kinda funny.

Erik said:

Right. I never play Scythe maps from scratch - the 5 level episode format already does a nice job of resetting your inventory.

Map set is pretty good to say the least...kinda went 'aww' after Map 10 was said and done tho, I did expect a bit more at the end xP

Nevertheless, I await the completion of this set...good luck Erik.

Jodwin said:

Nice...though to be honest, I found the first six maps a bit "uninspired" in regards to gameplay: Mostly pretty easy (although that probably was intended :P) and for the most part pretty simple monster placement and traps. They weren't bad, but just nothing special. Maps 07-09 were very nice though, especially the chaotic start in 08 (I played all from pistol start).

I agree, not very exciting, but with all the time put into detail I'm not surprised, although I haven't finished it yet... I think I'm on level 6.

Spoiler

However, I hate fighting cybers in hallways so map 10 gets a 1/5 from me. :( Use spoiler tags next time.

so far gameplay gets a 4 (although maybe I'm just spoiled from HR and giving an overly critical eval)
at this point detail gets a 9. I'd give it a 10 but it's almost too neat and consistent in theme that it becomes a bit repetitive for me. However, I wouldn't be surprised if that rating goes up when both episodes are played.

Brilliant, Erik! I'm on level 4 so far and I'm loving it. The balance is just right for a wuss like me who plays on Hurt Me Plenty, starts off easily and then the pressure builds second by second. Just how a good megawad should be designed!

Hellbent said:

so far gameplay gets a 4 (although maybe I'm just spoiled from HR and giving an overly critical eval)

I really wish people would quit comparing Scythe to HR.

For the most part, Scythe has always been about small to medium size levels that pose a reasonable challenge and flow extremely well. Until the later levels in Scythe 2, it was never off the wall extremely difficult.

If you want a challenge, go play those levels.

This could easily be my favorite wad ever. Great detail, great gameplay. Not too crazy about maps 5 and 10. The rest however are simply awesome, especially maps 3 and 7.

I really really liked these maps. The difficulty reminded me a lot of the original Scythe, which is a definite plus. I think I was a little out of my league playing Scythe 2 on UV after the first couple of episodes. Can't wait to see what's next!!!

Very fun and looked nice. It was easy until about map07, then the difficulty started to ramp up, much to my pleasure.

What's wrong with e1? I like the idea -- It's kind of like a dooming warm-up. Fun, easy, and simple.

Awesome mapset, as said above, short and sweet maps, one thing with many projects nowadays is massively long maps, I rarely finish a mapset with long drawn out maps. Enjoyed this all the way through, despite the fact I got annihilated by the unexpected cybie on MAP10 on my first go.

I love your detailing method, plus the new textures/edits added a totally fresh feel to the game.

stewboy said:

Edit: Also, I've taken a dislike to map07's music. I think the tune is too bland and jerky. Other than that it's fine though.

:(
That was my tune...

Nixot said:

:(
That was my tune...

Then you'll be happy to know that it's not all negative: I rather liked it. I find it fit the map perfectly.

I also like the map07 music very much. Sounds kinda video game retro which I really like.

MAP07's music was quite okay. I think the saw solo could've done with being a bit more melodic but it was otherwise a good bit of music. Reminds me vaguely of One Must Fall 2097's menu music. :P

Scythe X map04 fix for Doom2+

Those who tried to play Scythe X with Doom2+ may have noted that map04 is pretty much unplayable (and ugly) due to medusa effects on the bridges surrounding the central pit. This WAD I'm attaching here fixes that by making two offending textures use single patches instead of two.

Just add it in the command line after Scythe X.

This doesn't affect game progress, so people can use this to record or play demos.

In addition to that bug I'm leaving notice of a few instances of a minor glitch, tutti frutti on steps, which could be fixed in the next release:

In level 3, entering from outside, in that first room where walls open
In level 3, on the step that has the blue key
In level 6, a small bit at the start
In level 7, around the teleporter in the railed area after the chute
In level 8, under the blue armor

Bonus: I've also included a DeHackEd patch (SX.DEH) with changed level names, so the ZIP might be of use to people playing Scythe X with other engines, as well.

EDIT: Added two more tutti frutti instances.

sx04fix.zip