Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shadowman

Heroes' Tales - Russian Community Megawad

33-levels megawad from Russian Doom Community (RDC, also known as iddqd.ru community) - almost ready. Format - limit removing, but it is recommended to play it in PrBoom+, since some maps are working incorrectly in doom+.
The basis of megawad - maps, which were made in a course of speedmapping contests on iddqd.ru. Some maps were further improved in matter of balance. Rest - built up from scratch.
The first speedmapping contest ("Nature"), most maps from which are in this megawad, was in 2008.26.01. The second speedmapping contest ("Hell") has taken place on 2008.02.02. The third ("City") and the fourth ("Boss-level") speedmapping contests were onto 2009.08.03 and
2009.18.07. Not all maps, made in those contests, are being present in this megawad because of different reasons. Those which are present - they have been re-worked (mostly - correcting bugs and testing the balance of weapons & monsters, the maps` basic geometry and their ideas have remained as they were in the beginning). However, since the end of the last speedmapping contest the maps`quantity was less than 32, community has decided to finish wad in an initiative order - as a result, it has turned out even more,
than it was expected (33 maps).
Wad file will be put in "incoming" folder on 09.09.09

Screenshots:
http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=aV1XBdm9
http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=aV1XCpbr
http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=gxGrHBS
http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=Pq9AVAA
http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=Pq9A0di

http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=gxGsfwS
http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=aV1XDm2S

This looks really good. I really like the last three screen shots in the first post and I look forward to playing it :)

Wow, I really like a lot of these shots. It looks very open in a lot of them which is great for the combat that you showed. :)

Hey Shadowman :) I wonder if you remember my few short visits to your forums, the last one ended with me being called a troll because some people were just too stubborn to understand what i say %) Good times, good times.

Haven't been keeping up with what's up at iddqd.ru (visited once since then, caught a glimpse of everybody saying how cheogsh is a perfect wad and a godsend altogether, got disgusted and left), but i liked some of these screenies (a few are pretty bad though). I will definitely play this, if only to see what level of quality do you guys consider enough to upload a wad these times. Hopefully it's higher than i expect :p

Looks like fun, make sure you guys test the megawad yourselves before uploading it.

Quite an interesting mix of style, which could make the wad all the less repetitive.

From the first post, I like that GSTONE mound from the second shot, and the fourth screenshot looks VERY Doom 1-like, due to using stone rectangle bricks, cave rock, blue carpet, hexagons and tekwall in the same place!

I see ht.zip in /incoming; assume that's the megawad.

But where's Ty? Not to be rude, but this wait's killing me!

Maybe could the team provide an alternative link for now? Ty sometimes takes all the way to the weeked to transfer stuff. And this wait is killing me.

Not trying to be rude, but just asking if an alternative site could be provided.

I'm already to Map07 and while simpler than most community projects it's not bad at all, especially considering that these maps generally weren't worked on extensively for that long. Kind of a blast from the past so far - simple maps and basic layouts, but a fair amount of fun. Annyone else have thoughts yet?

Yeah, it's refreshing to have more "oldschool" projects being released. Map10 in particular is fun.

The title picture (and the credits one to some extent) is AMAZING and i love the wad just for that. (as would anybody who recognizes the original paintings)
Gonna play it today.

Jodwin said:

Yeah, it's refreshing to have more "oldschool" projects being released. Map10 in particular is fun.

What is your actual opinion of the wad as a whole? Do you think it's refreshing, or do you think it's too simplistic/not like it?

@Antroid: Would love if you'd post your thoughts after playing.

Do0minat0r said:

What is your actual opinion of the wad as a whole? Do you think it's refreshing, or do you think it's too simplistic/not like it?

I'd need to finish the whole wad first. :P

Other maps that particularly stood out were map02 and map08 (I think). I hated the very last room of map02, but otherwise it was really interesting compared to everything else coming out these days. I guess maps like it were more common years ago though, but today...it was nice, even if it looked pretty simplistic. And map08 (I think it was that...) had a very nice ammo balance. Tight, but not too tight.

@Do0minat0r

I will, of course, i love reviewing stuff. At day my monitor reflects too much sunshine and i'm unable to play even slightly dark games, so i'll play this when the sun sets. I only passed map01 so far, on UV.

Jodwin said:

I'd need to finish the whole wad first. :P

Other maps that particularly stood out were map02 and map08 (I think). I hated the very last room of map02, but otherwise it was really interesting compared to everything else coming out these days. I guess maps like it were more common years ago though, but today...it was nice, even if it looked pretty simplistic. And map08 (I think it was that...) had a very nice ammo balance. Tight, but not too tight.

Okay, when you finish the wad can you please give your thoughts on the whole thing? That's always what I meant, I knew you might not be finished yet.

So far, do you think every map was at least OK?

If you like open maps with a hint of slaughter, you'll love map11.

I know I did.

edit: Map 12 was great. Looked really nice, too. Too bad it was so short. :(
Map13 was annoying. I guess someone else might like it, but definitely not to my taste.
The only word capable of describing map14 is "weird." It did have some nice architecture/texturing ideas, but the end result was just weird.

Jodwin said:

If you like open maps with a hint of slaughter, you'll love map11.

I know I did.

edit: Map 12 was great. Looked really nice, too. Too bad it was so short. :(
Map13 was annoying. I guess someone else might like it, but definitely not to my taste.
The only word capable of describing map14 is "weird." It did have some nice architecture/texturing ideas, but the end result was just weird.

Strange, I haven't actually played them but all four of those maps (13 and 14 included) looked fine to me.

Overall, how would rate the wad as a whole thus far? (Like how many points out of 10; pros and cons)?

I'm just up to map04 now, but i will take a break.
Here are my thoughts so far:
Map01 was aight, didn't make me want to turn this off immideately, or maybe i was just still amazed at the title/credit/intermission pictures. That futuristic base place was really out of nowhere though.
I loved Map02! I really did. Would be great to know where's the music from. At this point my mind adjusted to the style so i was seeing these pretty primitive layouts with a mighty touch of imagination, and the atmosphere was great as a result. That wouldn't have worked if i was expecting something more detailed though, so good thing map01 was as simple as this. The blue armor secret in the maze/ruins/whatever was easy, but rather clever. The cyber surprised me, as did some other guys around that place. Overall, a very positive impression.
Map03 was a disappointment at first, with that atmosphere-breaking name and a structure best described as "a lot of random crap in a pool". but then i adjusted again and just thought that could be a flooded city or something. The name was a horrible desicion, very stupid. But this was my first taste of playing such a map style fair (with no cheats), and i liked it in the end. The gameplay was interesting, even though i left the map with maxed out shells and bullets (and i'm playing on UV). Then again, maybe being full of ammo isn't as bad as i see it when i make my own maps.

So far (not too far, i know) this is the first wad in a long time that i geniunely loved, despite past misunderstandings with iddqd.ru's people. Really, this was more fun than scythex. Another proof that less detail can make for better atmosphere in doom, at least for me.

I'd go to their forums and express my opinion there too, but here's to hoping they actually read replies here, instead of having that "we'll post our wad there and let them admire our greatness and never even check the thread; if somebody doesn't like the wad he's an idiot and his opinion clearly doesn't matter" attitude that a lot of my fellow russian mappers seem to have. (in serious sam community too)