Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Super Jamie

Foods which shouldn't go together but do

Urgh, I tried that once, I did not like it one bit.

I can't think of anything that I eat that would be classed unusual. Fairly non adventurous eater.

Wendy's Chocolate Frosty Shake and french fries. Surprisingly good.

Also, ketchup and eggs. Make sure they're scrambled! I know a bunch of people who think that's a weird combo, but it's good. Trust me. :)

Two baconators. If you think one is a mighty undertaking...

Lizardcommando said:

When I was a kid I used to love dipping cheeseburgers and french fries in McDonalds vanilla shake.

I also had a friend who would have tomato sauce (ketchup) on pretty much everything. Potato crisps, ice cream...

Cold pizza and ice cream. Okay I must admit I was pretty drunk and it is quite some years ago, hehe...

Lizardcommando said:

Ahh, that's always good. Fries dipped in sweet and sour is good, too.

For me, mayonnaise and soy sauce. Turns out the Japanese love mayo and put it on a bunch of things, and while I was over there I found out that it actually tastes quite good on their food. In particular, on top of yakisoba or this delicious food.

Also, having a plain omelet on top of white rice smothered with curry (preferably Japanese; again, I learned this from over there, specifically at this restaurant). It's very good and extremely filling. This is NOT the same as omuraisu.

French fries and maple syrup.. they're like little french toast sticks.

I've thought about it, and I can't really think of any extremely odd food combinations that I enjoy. The only one I can think of from a personal standpoint is brats and sauerkraut. Or sauerkraut in general. 95% of the people I've met say it smells like sewage and tastes even worse, however I love it. Yes it's fermented cabbage, but it goes great with bratwurst, hamburgers, and steak. You can even mix the juice with vodka to make a nice drink, assuming you like sauerkraut flavored vodka.

Also, the only way I can eat scrambled eggs is with maple syrup.

Strawberries and balsamic vinegar. Also, some soy sauce on just about anything without a palatable taste pretty much fixes the issue :-p

Maes said:

Strawberries and balsamic vinegar. Also, some soy sauce on just about anything without a palatable taste pretty much fixes the issue :-p

Soy sauce is rad. I throw it in just about anything I cook.

Maes said:

That's the secret ingredient to my stir fry. :P (Seriously, I need to figure out how to stop screwing it up).

My vote isn't that weird, but it might be weird that I eat it every day.

Peanut butter + bananas. Seriously tasty and insures I have a good level of protein in my system.

Steamed brussel sprouts filled with blue cheese. Mmm.. blue cheese..

I also enjoy chocolate and cheese.
I really just love cheese.

Krispavera said:

I really just love cheese.

Oh man, don't get me started on cheese. It rules so hard!

As a kid I would cut thin slices of cheese and fry them in a frypan so they went dry and crispy to make "cheese chips". It would take ages to do a whole block. I'd store them in a jar and eat them for the next week.

Another forum I used to visit had a very popular "cheese appreciation thread". A friend of mine even owns betterwithcheese.com, following his personal theology that "everything is better with cheese".

Not a weird thing from a more global point of view (lul?), but in Finland cinnamon is nothing but a spice for desserts and sweet bread. So when I made some spicy Indian inspired chicken with cinnamon in it everyone else in my family went WTF first.

But not for long, and nowadays I'm the only one allowed to make anything with spices and chicken in it. :(

cheese

I used to own cheeseportal.net. However it had nothing to do with cheese. :( My nephew used to cut small slices of cheese and mix them with almost any soup (I think pea soup was the only exception). It felt...weird.

Chili + sour cream, makes it more appealing to eat it.

Salsa, queso cheese sauce and sour cream mixed together and heated up as a dip for tortilla chips. Dunno if that one counts for this thread.

I can second celery and peanut butter and scrambled eggs and ketchup but what about celery and salt?

I don't know if this really counts as "food" but the whole idea of a hot buttered rum is awful but the result is great.

Sandwich made with salami and smoke-flavoured potato chips. I should have gone *puke* at it, but instead I enjoyed it.

DuckReconMajor said:

Salt and chocolate. I guess you can say that's already been done with chocolate covered pretzels, but oh well.

Agreed. Basically any combination of salty and sweet works well. That's probably why you put some salt in every baking recipe. I think my favorite is putting salt on cantaloupe slices. It's actually very good.

French fries dipped in honey garlic barbecue sauce.

Thai chilli sauce and crackers.

BBQ sauce on toast.

Microwaved buttered bread (I think it's a great idea, but some people tell me it's odd and gross. I guess they haven't had the bread at KFC).

Oh yeah, a sandwich made out of peanut butter and marshmallow cream. They're called "fluffernutters" and were mentioned in some book I read back in elementary school.