Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
neubejiita

Ubuntu sound fixed.

http://bejiitas_wrath.tripod.com/my_linux_system.htm

I thought I would post something positive, I have got the sound working in Ubuntu in the text console and Xorg from startx. I even tried w9wm and Blackbox & the sound worked. I have links on my page @ the link above that will help. Now I can use xmms in w9wm and have perfect sound. If only I could run Doom Builder 2 in Linux. Can it be ported with Mono if it uses c#?

And Bad news about Espi, the community will definitely be lesser without him. RIP Esipi you will be happy forever by His side now.

God bless you.

Is PulseAudio on Ubuntu still broken? It is a really cool and nice sound system if it's configured properly (and since it is installed by default, it's Ubuntu's responsibility to make sure that it is...).

MikeRS said:

Is PulseAudio on Ubuntu still broken?

It's still latent. Attempts to 'fix' the sound issues by removing Pulseaudio often backfire into removing critical unrelated components, thanks to poor dependency.

neubejiita said:

If only I could run Doom Builder 2 in Linux. Can it be ported with Mono if it uses c#?

As far as I know DB 2 requires .NET 3.5, so most likely you can't get it working with Mono without a heavy re-write. I don't actually know which particular .NET features DB 2 uses, but for example Mono has made the decision to never implement the new GUI features from .NET 3.0 so if those would be used, the GUI would have to be created from scratch for a Linux version.

But if DB 2 doesn't use features that Mono has given up on, in theory it might even work right out of the box, as .NET and Mono are supposed to be perfectly compatible (which isn't exactly true, since there's a number of undocumented small differences between the two; plus the way DB 2 handles ie. file system calls could cause issues in Linux).

leileilol said:

It's still latent. Attempts to 'fix' the sound issues by removing Pulseaudio often backfire into removing critical unrelated components, thanks to poor dependency.

How the fuck is this still happening?

Windows solved the problem with ASIO. Mac OS X solved the problem with CoreAudio.

PulseAudio, as I've experienced it, is shit. But that's because the entire Linux Sound system needs an overhaul. Audio is one of the most important parts of a system now. This isn't something a distro should take lightly.

Csonicgo said:

How the fuck is this still happening?

Windows solved the problem with ASIO. Mac OS X solved the problem with CoreAudio.

Apparently JACK is the answer on Linux. It's what Ubuntu Studio uses.

I agree that Linux sound needs a huge overhaul. All implementations seem to be a half-completed good-enough-at-the-time, and nobody who has started down one track usually wants to to support another (eg: Wine have flat out refused to support Pulse). But getting Linux devs to agree on something is like getting blood from a stone.

I have just uninstalled the pulseaudio binaries and not the whole thing, I just use alsa for everything. That works perfectly I do not know why they want to fix something that is not broken. The only problem is the sound may not work in Firefox.

Super Jamie said:

...is like getting blood from a stone.

You know, if you beat somebody over the head with the stone until it's covered in their blood, you can easily recover blood from the stone. Granted, it's not the stone's blood, but the blood is gotten from the stone.

ALSA is pretty whacked. The API is horribly complex and most of the drivers are pretty messed up. It needs a total rewrite from the ground up. OSS needed that for a long-ass time, which is what I guess it got for OSS4. My system here has support for OSS and JACK (amongst other APIs) but not ALSA as it seems to be more of a Linux-specific thing that no one really cares to support too much in normal UNIX land. PulseAudio was, is, and probably always will be a broken hack. JACK looks like the way to go for Linux these days.