Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Biggs

New mapper needs feedback

The thing is that it works with prboom when started through Doombuilder, trying to work out what the problem could be, but nothing seem to work.

You probably aren't building the nodes properly. ZDoom ports work because they build nodes on their own, unlike most other ports do.

Biggs said:

The thing is that it works with prboom when started through Doombuilder, trying to work out what the problem could be, but nothing seem to work.

I would examine linedef 704 and its associated vertices and sectors closely. Notice that both PrBoom and PrBoom+ report the following message:

P_LoadLineDefs: linedef 704 has two-sided flag set, but no second sidedef
Doom Builder 1 has a feature to test the map for erros. By default it is mapped to function key F4. It can reveal many common errors. I don't know whether Doom Builder 2 has this feature or how to use it.

You should also pay close attention to any output from your nodebuilder(s). I am using bsp-w32.exe with parameters %F -o %T in Doom Builder 1 to export my maps for release. I can not provide much guidance for setting up your nodebuilders in DB2, but I can say that bsp-w32.exe has served me well so far.

Thx a lot, i will take a look at that when i have a moment to spare, i have a lot to learn about mapping, i have the ideas but i have some problems putting them to practice as i don't have a clue how node builders work.

Thx for all the advice, i'm sucking the info in.

Even though it probably does not apply to DB2, you should read "Doom Builder: An Illustrated Guide" by John W. Anderson. It contains much useful information about level design. Get a copy from CodeImp's downloads page. See especially "Appendix B: Node Builder Parameters: ZenNode, ZDBSP, and BSP."

To learn what a nodebuilder does read the wiki article and also the list of nodebuilders.

I looked at it a bit more and found the real problem.

When you open the file in SlumpED you get the following structure

MAP01 followerd by some duplicated stuff including empty segs, ssectors, nodes reject and blockmap.

After that D_RUNNIN and then D_STALKS which SlumpEd thinks is a map because it is followed by a full and proper set of map stuff. (which is Map01)

So here is what to do:

Open the file you uploaded in Slumped

Delete the duplicated stuff at the top (not MAP01 tho, but the stuff below it above D_RUNNIN)

move the 2 songs to the very top by selecting them and pressing crtl+u until they are over MAP01. Save, and now it should work.

you should still fix up those odd linedefs, but they are not cause of the crash.

Nice work Biggs. MAP02 is fun. Only bug I found other than the PrBoom thing is that a couple of zombies (when you first turn left after the imps, in that group) are stuck. I tried moving them away from each other in DB but it didn't work. I don't know what to tell you.

Oh, and I think Ptoing is right, I opened your wad in DB2 and D_RUNNIN was listed as a map.

Thx a thousand Ptoing, i got it working now and i think i fixed the linedef. I will upload the working version.

This is exactly what i need, now i know what to look for if i get this kind of problem in the future, all the help is awesome.

Will start working on map3 soon and i will probably upload the maps as a mini episode when i get 5 or 6 so maps so release.

EDIT: @Duck: Thx matey :) I found the problem that caused the zombie problem, they were standing on a block monster linedef that i placed there as a temporary solution in the start of creating the map, had forgot to delete it :P