Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ralphis

NFL 2009 Season Thread

So the 2009 NFL season is about to begin in 2.5 hours when the Titans take on the reigning champ Steelers in Pittsburgh. I'm calling an upset on the night. Also, if you don't like the NFL or American football, that's fine. Try not to mong up the thread though.

With that said, how many of you watch or are interested in the NFL? If so, go ahead and feel free to post your predictions for games, weeks, or even the whole season!

------------------------------------------------------

SUICIDE POOL
A suicide pool is where you pick one team per week to win a game. Once you pick a team that loses, you are out. The catch: you can only pick a team once. So be smart with your picks! If you want to get in on the suicide pool, just let me know what team you want for week 1 and I'll put you up. After that, contacting me through the thread or by other means is also perfectly acceptable.

I'll send whoever wins like 10 bucks. Big things at stake here people.

The pool grid can be found here: http://ralphis.unidoom.org/suicide.htm

OTHER JUNK

Here are my predictions for the divisional rankings going into the playoffs:

---------------------------

NFC East
Philadelphia Eagles
New York Giants
Dallas Cowboys
Washington Redskins

NFC South
Carolina Panthers
New Orleans Saints
Atlanta Falcons
Tampa Bay Buccaneers

NFC North
Minnesota Vikings
Green Bay Packers
Chicago Bears
Detriot Lions

NFC West
San Francisco Niners
Arizona Cardinals
Seattle Seahawks
St. Louis Rams

AFC East
New England Patriots
New York Jets
Buffalo Bills
Miami Dolphins

AFC South
Indianapolis Colts
Tennessee Titans
Houston Texans
Jacksonville Jaguars

AFC North
Pittsburgh Steelers
Baltimore Ravens
Cincinnati Bengals
Cleveland Browns

AFC West
San Diego Chargers
Denver Broncos
Kansas City Chiefs
Oakland Raiders

Here's the schedule for week 1:

THURS 9/10/09

Tennessee Titans @ Pittsburgh Steelers

SUN 9/13/09

Miami Dolphins @ Atlanta Falcons
Kansas City Chiefs @ Baltimore Ravens
Philadelphia Eagles @ Carolina Panthers
Denver Broncos @ Cincinatti Bengals
Minnesota Vikings @ Cleveland Browns
New York Jets @ Houston Texans
Jacksonville Jaguars @ Indianapolis Colts
Detroit Lions @ New Orleans
Dallas Cowgirls @ Tampa Bay
San Francisco 49ers @ Arizona Cardinals
Washington Redskins @ New York Giants
St Louis Rams @ Seattle Seahawks
Chicago Bears @ Green Bay Packers

MON 9/14/09

Buffalo Bills @ New England Patriots
San Diego Chargers @ Oakland Raiders

Week 1: Chicago Bears @ Green Bay Packers
Cutler may as well have been wearing green and gold last night. It almost seemed like he was trying to set up for the pick. I thought our saving grace would be Rodgers stinking it up even more, but their second half performance in the red zone combined with Cutler's bungling allowed them to push through.

Also I like how people who specifically are saying they wouldn't pay attention to this thread are posting in here letting everyone know. I guess this thread caught their attention.

Mancubus II said:
Also I like how people who specifically are saying they wouldn't pay attention to this thread are posting in here letting everyone know.

Right, besides, the practice is discouraged in the FAQ. Heh, I had promised myself that if anyone replied on topic I'd hell it all, so...

Manc, that game barely deserved to be on tv much less Sunday night. Both the Bears and the Packers have some serious work to do. Not to mention the Bears lost Urlacher for the entire season.

Here's my Monday night predictions for week 1:

Buffalo Bills @ New England Patriots
Easy prediction here imo. Tom Brady is ready to come back and show everybody that he isn't the Tom Brady we all knew, but even better. A fire definitely is lit under his ass and if Matt Cassel can thrive in the system, I project Tom Brady coming out and leading the Pats to another Superbowl.

With that said, I do think that the Bills will put up a fight here tonight. The no-huddle offense worked for the Bills in the late 80s/early 90s so it will be interesting to see if the young, developing Trent Edwards can quarterback his way to stardom this season on a team that has been plauged with bad play for over a decade. Despite Trent Edwards looking like an alright QB and the spectacle known as TO, the Bills get curb stomped by at least 2 TD tonight.

San Diego Chargers @ Oakland Raiders
Speaking of lighting a fire under an ass, LT is going to run all over the Raiders tonight. I continue to maintain that Phillip Rivers is one of the elite quarterbacks in the NFL and, in short, the Raiders have absolutely no chance tonight. Absolutely none. A terrible monday night game, it's gonna be a blowout. SD by at least 20 points.

As a side note, I have both Brady and Rivers as my fantasy QBs and Owens as my WR. My score should light up tonight.

Bump! Four weeks to go in the regular season.

Finally got knocked out of my suicide pool this week with Steelers losing to the Browns. The Steelers losing 5 straight? Brutal.

Also, let's see how my predictions from the beginning of the season are doing so far!

Actual position in parenthesis.
NFC East
Philadelphia Eagles (1st)
New York Giants (3rd)
Dallas Cowboys (1st)
Washington Redskins (4th)

This is still any team's division, but I think it will likely end up with the Eagles winning the division and the Cowboys coming in 2nd, though they're known for December collapses. If the Redskins had a kicker, they'd have won three more games.
NFC South
Carolina Panthers (3rd)
New Orleans Saints (1st, clinched)
Atlanta Falcons (2nd)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers (4th)

Ok, so I made a mistake here. Even though I called the Saints to be the Superbowl winners between my friends, I thought that they'd likely make it through the wild card. WRONG. They've clinched the division, are so far undefeated, and two more wins will guarantee them homefield advantage through the playoffs. Other teams are going to hate to play in that dome.
NFC North
Minnesota Vikings (1st)
Green Bay Packers (2nd)
Chicago Bears (3rd)
Detriot Lions (4th)

Up until now, unless something crazy happens, I called this one perfectly. Granted, the Lions are a given 4th seed so this division wasn't too hard to call. Much like the Saints, meeting the Minnesota Favres in the dome is going to be tough. It seems inevitable that the path to the Superbowl isn't through domed stadiums this season.
NFC West
San Francisco Niners (2nd)
Arizona Cardinals (1st)
Seattle Seahawks (3rd)
St. Louis Rams (4th)

It seems unlikely that the Niners will win this division, but I have faith! Though I love the Eagles, I grew up loving the Niners. Unless they see a miracle, the Cardinals will win this division. The key for the Niners will be a win over the Cards this Monday night and winning out, which is possible. Their other opponents down the stretch are the Lions, Rams, and Eagles. The Eagles will be tough but they have a shot. However, it's unlikely and the Cards will almost for sure win the division.
AFC East
New England Patriots (1st)
New York Jets (2nd)
Buffalo Bills (4th)
Miami Dolphins (2nd)

Well, looks like I made a mistake here with the Fins fighting back in the division. Though they're tied for second with the Jets, they actually would win the tie breaker over them. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the Dolphins end up winning the playoffs and knocking the Patriots OUT. The Patriots have lost all of their away games this season. That's pathetic. Is the Brady/Belicheck era over?
AFC South
Indianapolis Colts (1st, clinched)
Tennessee Titans (3rd)
Houston Texans (4th)
Jacksonville Jaguars (2nd)

Alright so, how was I supposed to know the Jaguars were going to show some life this season? With that said, it doesn't matter who's 2nd as I think this division won't end up with a wildcard spot. The Jaguars are a decent team, but there are too many teams breathing down their neck by only one game. Peyton Manning is incredible. The Colts and their dome will be something to be feared in the playoffs.
AFC North
Pittsburgh Steelers (3rd)
Baltimore Ravens (2nd)
Cincinnati Bengals (1st)
Cleveland Browns (4th)

What a surprise here! Who would've expected the Bungles to sweep their entire division after coming off one of the most pathetic seasons I've ever seen? They're a real contender and Cedric Benson is a monster. Most people have their eyes focused on the Steelers and Ravens when talking about this division, but the Bengals could make a real serious run come January. The Steelers will miss the playoffs.
AFC West
San Diego Chargers (1st)
Denver Broncos (2nd)
Kansas City Chiefs (4th)
Oakland Raiders (3rd)

I imagine this division will end up looking like my original prediction by the end and I think the Chargers are Super Bowl bound. I know the west doesn't get much love, but there's something about this Chargers team that makes me think that it might be their year. Maybe it's Phillip Rivers' golden arm or LT's resurgence, but they're playing with fire. The Broncos will likely make a wild card berth and they can be a vicious team too, unfortunately they don't always seem to be able to turn it on.

As for the Raiders, they're responsible for the best sports clip of 2009 and should think about signing this guy for next year, even non sports fans can probably laugh at this video:

Ok, that last clip I posted was pretty awesome but this has to be one of the dumbest, funniest things I've -ever- seen in football, period: