Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MarinePrime

making new title pic. tried it, and OMG

Hi. today I tried to import a custom title image for doom. Its 320 x 200. so I try looking at the results, and the image shows up. but the colors are f***ed up. they all turned into a very different hue and theres much more intensity in the color. Does anyone know what went wrong? k thx

Extract the doom palete from the IWAD. Use wally to load the picture and save it using the exported palette. That is: Eport the picture to 8bit color. Higher image qualities will become lossy and ugly in the worst cases.

You can use XWE to export the original TITLEPIC from doom2.wad, open up your titlepic with MS Paint, Go to Edit > Select All

then Edit > Copy.

Open up the original Doom Titlepic, paste your image over top of it (this will convert your image to the pallete that doom's titlepic uses, if your titlepic has a lot of grayish blues and purples, you may notice some serious discoloration)

save the original tilepic with your titlepic pasted over top of it, then add it to your PWAD with XWE.

That's what I was saying, that you can use Paint for palette color coercing, but you can do it directly with XWE. They don't even have to be true colour to pass, as I was able to extract Heretic graphics and import them in a WAD for Doom, with XWE, and as I've seen, at better quality. I don't know why did the original poster have problems with TITLEPIC, maybe he used a format where XWE does no converting, or used an utility that doesn't convert?

MarinePrime said:
how do I confirm the doom palette?

Open your picture in the GIMP or Paint Shop Pro, look for the option to change your picture to 256 colors. If the option isn't available, perhaps it is already using 256 colors. In that case, look for the option to use full color, apply it, and then apply the 256 colors change, this time using the DOOM palette (the screen that lets you apply 256 colors should have the option to choose a palette.)

Once the 256-color palette has been applied, your picture will be usable in DOOM. It may look bad, though, if the colors in the original were very different from the ones DOOM normally uses, and you might have to fix it up by recoloring sections, with a tool or by hand, as applicable. You can also retry applying 256-colors with different dithering styles, or with no dithering, and you may get a more reasonable result.

Note: If you use the GIMP, you need to rename the doom.pal file in the ZIP linked to above to doom.gpl, because while GIMP palettes are compatible with PSP's, they use a different extension.