Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
samiam

ObHack 006.4 released

Just letting everyone know that Fritz gave me a copy of ObHack 006.4, which I have put up on the ObHack page:

http://samiam.org/slump/

This release has a new parameter: Room size

Note that Fritz, not myself, is the maintainer, but I will keep him up to date about any comments posted in this thread; please put support requests, comments, bug reports, etc. here (there's no private email support)

As the current maintainer of Obhack, I will be answering all suggestions, comments and bugfixes here on this forum.

Were there any major changes to the LUA file that is used for themes?

What does the "expansion" option for level size do?

No major changes to theme lua.
Expansion setting is for Doom2 type games only, map size grows from
tiny to huge gradually from map 1 thru 32.

You know, the thing that really excites me about this release is the "room size" parameter. This gives us more flexibility about the type of maps ObHack makes.

One issue is that we can't make this too small without the ObHack codebase failing a lot of assertions and acting buggy in other ways, such as there not being an exit switch in the exit room.

I had similar issues when I added "tiny" and "small" level sizes to ObHack; there were a lot of bugs where levels wouldn't have exits, switches wouldn't open the gate to finish the level the way they should, etc.

I fixed the issues by checking things so that any level without proper exits would be redone; I fixed the issue with switches not working by simply not having switches in smaller levels for a while, until Enhas and I worked together on a better solution (not having any 0-length switch quests, as it turned out).

Even with the immediate bugs of having smaller rooms were solved, there is still the issue that those rooms won't be able to fit as many things like ObHack's cool prefabs, crates, monsters on cages and what not.

But, yeah, having a lot of small rooms would result in more maze-like tighter maps with a different flavor than the maps ObHack currently makes, just as making the rooms larger changes the flavor.

- Sam

ObHack is a fork of the Oblige 2 codebase, so, IMO, as long as Fritz is working on ObHack, he's working on an enhanced Oblige 2 (unless Hexen or Wolf3d support is important for you).