Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MarinePrime

Just wondering. translucent floors?

In all Boom-compatible ports that use the software renderer, you can fake it to some degree by putting translucent lines 1 unit away from the edges of your floor, putting midtextures on those translucent lines, and aligning them down "into" the floor, so that they bleed into it. As long as your floor is small enough that the player can't see where the midtextures end, you've got a convincing (though very limited) glass floor effect. The same can be done with ceilings, of course.

In ZDoom, you can make use of stacked sectors (aka portals) with translucent flats, explained in more detail here.

In GZDoom, Legacy, or other ports that support translucent 3D floors (Risen3D probably, maybe EDGE and others? I'm not sure), you can use those. Look up the documentation for the appropriate port and go hog-wild.

esselfortium said:

In GZDoom, Legacy, or other ports that support translucent 3D floors (Risen3D probably, maybe EDGE and others? I'm not sure)

EDGE does, and so does Vavoom.

I was going say, this does indeed go back quite a while 94-95 ish. i remember seeing it used also in some university or school type map that someone made of where they go to school (i believe it was a canadian uni or type of school) it was used for windows (but i dont know if this is included in your interest of translucency)

I should look and see if i can find it on one of my wad compilation cd's from back then.