Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reevys

Limitations of PSP Doom?

Having recently obtained a PSP, I've been messing around with it, putting a few emulators and such on it. I then remembered hearing about a PSP port of Doom, so I tracked it down and got it working perfectly fine.

It runs nice and smoothly when I play the standard IWADs, but I wasn't sure if the same would be true when some rather demanding PWADs were to be played on it. I checked the Doom Wiki, but it didn't mention anything about what it was really capable of handling, so I figured I'd ask here.

So yeah, anyone got any ideas?

Well, I'm not sure if this thing can only take Vanilla WADs or if it can handle Boom. And as I don't know what makes a WAD Vanilla or Boom compatible or whatever, I honestly don't know what to try. And even if I do try something and it crashes, I don't know what makes it crash, which isn't very much help at all.

I did try The Ultimate NMD (which worked fine) and Claustrophobia 1024 (which crashed as soon as I selected a difficulty), however.

Whoo said:

PSP Doom is based off doom2.exe.

I find that highly unlikely. Unless PSP uses a Dos or W95/98 based operative system.

I saw one article explaining it, and it mentioned something about it being based off doom2.exe. I don't have the article, though. It being based off doom2.exe would explain the crash because if there is an unknown line action, it would crash when the map starts.

Technically, both are based off LinuxDoom 1.10, which is the Doom source id Software released and from which all sourceports derive.

Also that's really lame. The GP2X has a port of PrBoom and runs with almost any PWAD the PC version will.

I got a PSP Doom from somewhere but the PSP told me that it's corrupted. I later got PSP Heretic; it even had a titlepic when I went to the choice, but same deal.

I then looked up the net about this issue, but what I saw was that I had updated the PSP so I couldn't run Doom any more. Utter bummer. That's almost dumb, unless I'm dumb for not looking for a Doom version that runs on any PSP version. Is there any?!

Super Jamie said:

Also that's really lame.

Had it been any less lame, you'd see a ton of psp homebrew cloning commercial games down to their IP by ambitious kids plaguing the forum right now

leileilol said:

Had it been any less lame, you'd see a ton of psp homebrew cloning commercial games down to their IP by ambitious kids plaguing the forum right now

Having owned a GP2X and frequented the forums for quite a while in the past I can assure you it's not the case with that system, which is entirely open and potentially more powerful.

If anything, most of the focus was on making emulators as efficient as possible, and ports for things like Doom and DOSBox. The homebrew that got popular was pretty much original stuff like Battlejewels.

In my experience, idiot forum kids don't make good programmers anyway ;)

Well the GP2X isn't quite the same - it's not marketed with millions and it's not the cool handheld to pimp in grade school and in your local ghetto.

When FitzQuake was ported to the PSP with fog abilities, the pandora's box opened for shitty quakepowered unoriginal copycats. And you thought those unauthorized cellular phone/pocket pc 'ports' (read: modified doom2 iwads of copy and paste) of Heretic and others were bad!

leileilol said:

Ugh. Every 007 TC I've seen just ends up disappointing, but Halo Quake on PSP is the ultimate synergy of all my gaming hates. I see where your rage comes from.

I never saw the attraction of the PSP. They don't run anything fun, and modding them is risky, a pain in the ass and a constant game of cat-and-mouse with Sony. If it wasn't for the fact you could do portable GT2 and Tekken 3 the console would be worthless.

The PSP is a good console if you are an RPG fan (which I am). It has a load of emulators available, which has allowed me to play some old favourites, as well as some games I never got the chance to play when I was young.

As I said anyway, I only tried Doom on it for some fun, and I've enjoyed blasting my way through it while on the bus. If it can't handle very many PWADs, that's fine, I'll just stick PSX Doom on there instead. :D

EDIT - Also, I got it for free, so I can't really complain.