Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NaturalTvventy

Mega IWAD 200X

Greetings -

Anyone else thing a mega IWAD was made with several of the popular texture/flat packs and new monsters is a good idea? Then if an editor (perhaps a version of doombuilder) were made that was compatible (new monster things) it might serve as a great addition to the editing community. WADs would be 'ZDoom + NewIWAD' req. A yearly update would allow for any new popular monsters or textures/flats.

Much of the custom content by the community is based on id's stuff or stuff from other games, so it would be illegal to use it as a standalone IWAD. That's why Freedoom accepts only stuff from scratch or that is otherwise free.

how is using ID's stuff in a PWAD any different then using it in an IWAD? seems like there's tons of 'illegal' mods out there that are pretty universally used these days.

and who/what is Freedoom?

You can do it legally if the content in the PWAD comes from the IWAD used with it. Like, if I modify the arch-vile and put it in a PWAD, I can use that as long as it needs DOOM II to run it.

NaturalTvventy said:

how is using ID's stuff in a PWAD any different then using it in an IWAD? seems like there's tons of 'illegal' mods out there that are pretty universally used these days.

A PWAD requires an IWAD. An IWAD doesn't.

In other words, copying modified versions of id's copyrighted art assets from Doom is tolerated because you're supposed to own Doom to be able to play it anyway.

Of course, this shouldn't extend to rips from other games. In practice, nobody cares enough to try to put a stop to this. It would be mostly counterproductive anyway.

But distributing an IWAD is a line a bit further.

As for what is Freedoom, just go the forum on this here site with that name, it should contain the info you want. Either that or use the magic of Google.

myk said:

You can do it legally if the content in the PWAD comes from the IWAD used with it. Like, if I modify the arch-vile and put it in a PWAD, I can use that as long as it needs DOOM II to run it.

Though at least in theory you can have a WAD hacking utility or make one, which doesn't require the main WAD as guarantee, so you can still have free access to objects based on copyrighted creation.

In other events, I can't wait for the ambitious IWAD that surely uses original content and a custom GPL engine based on Doom or Heretic to support it. A totally new game, really. Freedoom is in its way there, except no new engine, and designed rather to work as a free Doom for playing PWADs.

Last but not least, how is distributing totally modified DOOM1.WAD not officially permitted? Why did Hokuto no Doom get so much flak, when that DOOM1.WAD was (almost) completely redrawn? Wasn't it the same deal as modified DOOM2.WAD of Freedoom? I want to know why.

printz said:

Last but not least, how is distributing totally modified DOOM1.WAD not officially permitted? Why did Hokuto no Doom get so much flak, when that DOOM1.WAD was (almost) completely redrawn? Wasn't it the same deal as modified DOOM2.WAD of Freedoom? I want to know why.

Nope. It's rejected because it is directly derived of Doom resources and maps (E1 is still there), and he's full of himself excessively self-promoting it as an official all new game of his own. Just because it's shareware and you can download it for free-as-in-beer does not mean you can do anything you want to it. It is copyrighted, not-public-domain software, protected by law.

Freedoom does not use a piece of DOOM2.WAD. If it did, it wouldn't be Free Software.

leileilol said:

(E1 is still there)

Ok, it wasn't all replaced, and what wasn't replaced was a big part of the original. So if it had nine new levels (and the remaining details replaced) it would have been all right...