Find results in...
Guest DILDOMASTER666

Fiskmaps I: Prelude to Destruction [New screenshot 11/18/09]

Guest DILDOMASTER666

Corporal Adrian "Wolf" Polonsky
Marine Force Recon - Squadron Charlie-9
AXIR Laboratory Complex
01:22, Dec 24 (2012)

It's been over a week since the rest of your squad was separated from you on the mountain pass. The chances of you making it to the AXIR airfield are slim to none, but it's down to you. If you're going to make a move, you have to make it now.

MAP01: Descend

Captain Michael "Deadeye" Cassatt
Marine Force Recon - Squadron Baker-331
AXIR Personnel Compound
07:31, Dec 24 (2012)

You picked up a distress call from Corporal Polonsky of Squadron Charlie-9 about six hours ago; the reports of the terrain and personnel that the UAV Recon returned from the area revealed that Polonsky was the last survivor of Charlie-9. After a botched rescue operation, you're left alone to try to rendezvous with him. ...If you can make your way past the Military Personnel Compound and get to the airfield.

MAP02: Hollow Fortress

Not much plot here yet. You're stranded on a mountaintop complex and must fight your way through,yadda yadda... Pretty contrived, amazing storyline, right? No. 5-map set, constructed essentially by first OBLIGE'ing 5 separate maps, stripping out non-critical detail and Things, rinsing out most of the gameplay, then redetailing on top of the basic layouts and mixing up the gameplay on my own.

Intended initially for Vanilla, but fuck me if doom2.exe doesn't HATE greenwar2-tex.wad with a friggin' passion. This will most likely end up being limit-removing anyway.

:::::PROGRESS:::::
MAP01: Descend |--100%--| (fskmps01.zip - 0.65MB)
MAP02: Hollow Fortress |-- 20%--|
MAP03: Trapped |-- 15%--|
MAP04: Prophecy  |--  5%--|
MAP05: Vacant  |-- 10%--|

EDIT: Just for the record I'm probably going to release all of these maps individually, then rerelease them as a complete episode when they're all actually *done* and have some connective tissue to tie them together, if you know what I mean.

EDIT2: Fixed some texture problems in MAP01.
EDIT3: Updated AGAIN because of even MORE texture problems that weren't even there the first time.

Definitely piqued my interest. I like Oblige maps though they aren't without flaw, a polished set done right would be a nice change (though would obviously get samey if everyone did it).

Plus your detailing looks wonderful. I like when people take that design of modern-styled ZDoom mods like RTC and put it in Vanilla/Boom.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

New screen from MAP01 up, depicting an unfinished area. Top of the list, first post.

Aw. You didn't keep the original Oblige mapnames. And did you record the seed number for the maps?

Guest DILDOMASTER666

Yes. When each map is released, it will retain it's original OBLIGDAT lump containing all information used to generate the map. In interest of consistency and atmosphere, however, there will be no other references in-map to the fact that they are Obliged.

Looking pretty damn good, if you hadnt of said anything about OBLIGE, I dont think that anyone would have noticed :P Anyways, its not a bad idea, I get spells where I cant think of anything to map.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

Another screenshot of an area I'm not sure what I'm going to do with yet. MAP01 just has a few loose ends to tie up and it'll be ready to hit the net.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

Sorry for the double-post, but MAP01 is available for download. There may or may not be a few bugs when I was trimming the unused textures...

EDIT: Think I weeded out all the TEXTURE directory problems and two missing textures in-level. Redownload plx
EDIT2: Updated download AGAIN due to even MORE texture problems that weren't even there when I fixed the original problems.

I'm not gonna lie, the item pickup flash is annoying.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

Hmm... Swore I removed that... Note to self: stop testing shit in ZDoom.

Cool map, you can somewhat tell there're oblige rooms but they've been so prettied up you can't tell for sure :P I especially liked that bridge over the nukage room, it was cool. In the gameplay department it was pretty good map01 fare, including hell knights throws the balance off a little to me but not much. I'd like to see where you go with these maps.

Played through twice, had some fun both times. I've always put gameplay first when i play DOOM, and this would make for a fun first map (though I agree about the Hell Knight bit). Looks-wise, I really liked the sky texture and the floor/roof detailing. Perhaps the room with the red key was a bit boring, but that may just be because you did such a fantastic job with everything up to that point.

Look forward to seeing what you have next.

It was good. You can definitely tell it was originally an oblige map. Good job making it into something interesting.

some areas were too dark (one door was totally unseeable)
but other then that is was fun and well fixed up for the original layout from oblige.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! I'll be posting some info and possibly a screenshot from MAP02 a bit later when I get home from school; I've also decided to stop dicking around and ask that someone upload these maps to /newstuff as they're finished... As I'm unable to do it myself at the moment.

Are any of these maps on the "Large" size setting? That would be a feat for sure.

Guest DILDOMASTER666
40oz said:

Are any of these maps on the "Large" size setting? That would be a feat for sure.

To be specific, MAP04 & MAP05 are set to large.

Nice work. Pretty easy but it is a MAP01. Harder enemies (even just Cacos) in the left/right wings before the exit wouldn't go astray. I love the textures you've chosen to use, though I'm not mad on the pallete.

One thing I noticed is it's very dark. So much so I couldn't even find the door after the barrel pit. It's a shame because your detailing is quite nice, people should see it more :)

Also I expected the imp alcove in the barrel pit room to be a secret, the stairs down to that room made me think there may be one along the walkable ledges. I backtracked and wallhumped for a while but iddt proved me wrong.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

Sorry for the delay in announcing this, people. I updated the first post with more in-depth storyline stuff to connect the episode together, along with a new screenshot for MAP02.

Unfortunately, despite me figuring out finally why the maps wouldn't run in vanilla, I'm going to have to cancel vanilla compatibility altogether. This is mostly due to creative requirements; note that in the first screenshot of MAP02, over 200 sectors, about 1400 linedefs, and 1100 vertices are in view.

There's just no way this can ever be vanilla compat, unfortunately.

EDIT: I'd like to mention that MAP02 is not an OBLIGE map.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

Another brief announcement: due to the impending release of Operation Flashpoint 2 tomorrow and the approaching deadline of an English research paper, updates to this thread will be a little more sporadic. I'll still try to post screenshots at least bi-daily, though.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

Sorry for this here double post; two new screenshots of MAP02 up.