Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

I want to make the shotgun animation the same as the one in PSX Doom, help anyone?

Hi! If you take a look at this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVUNoko5Yh0&feature=related

Then you notice that the shotgun animation is missing a frame, and i want to change the shotgun in the pc version of the game to make it look the same because when playing the PSX DOOM TC everything is the same as in PSX Doom besides the shotgun animation, and i want to make the shotgun animation look the same since the TC just doesn't really feel like PSX Doom without the PSX DOOM style shotgun.

I know there are programs that allow me to play around with the weapons and the frames, but what do i need to do in order to do this?

Notepad ;)

Thing is though, I have PSX Doom and can't see which frame is missing. Changing the animation itself should theoretically be wee buns though. It's just a DECORATE lump (like I said, Notepad).

scalliano said:

Notepad ;)

Thing is though, I have PSX Doom and can't see which frame is missing. Changing the animation itself should theoretically be wee buns though. It's just a DECORATE lump (like I said, Notepad).

And how does that work exactly?

This is the DECORATE lump for the shotgun:

actor Shotgun : Shotgun replaces Shotgun // "replaces" means it will replace the stock Doom shotgun when this file is loaded.
{
Game Doom
SpawnID 27
Weapon.SelectionOrder 1300
Weapon.AmmoUse 1
Weapon.AmmoGive 8
Weapon.AmmoType "Shell"
Inventory.PickupMessage "$GOTSHOTGUN" // "You got the shotgun!"
Obituary "$OB_MPSHOTGUN" // "%o chewed on %k's boomstick."
States
{
Ready:
SHTG A 1 A_WeaponReady
Loop
Deselect:
SHTG A 1 A_Lower
Loop
Select:
SHTG A 1 A_Raise
Loop
Fire:
SHTG A 3
SHTG A 7 A_FireShotgun
SHTG BC 5
SHTG D 4
SHTG CB 5
SHTG A 3
SHTG A 7 A_ReFire
Goto Ready
Flash:
SHTF A 4 Bright A_Light1
SHTF B 3 Bright A_Light2
Goto LightDone
Spawn:
SHOT A -1
Stop
}
}

"SHTG" is the shotgun sprite. The letters after "SHTG" are the sprite frames and the number after the letters determine how many "tics" the frame is shown on screen for (Doom runs at 35 "tics" per second). Note that where there are 2 letters together means that the first frame is displayed for 1 tic and the second for however many tics the number says. "Bright" simply means that the frame is displayed as fullbright, regardless of light levels in the map. The terms beginning with "A_" are the actions the weapon is performing at any given time, and they shouldn't really need to be changed.

Mess around with the values and frames, save it as "DECORATE.TXT", put it in a zip file, change the file extension to .pk3 and load it up.

You might want to view the sprites in your doom2.wad first using XWE to see which frame is missing.

scalliano said:
actor Shotgun : Shotgun replaces Shotgun

This will not work. You can't derive a class from itself.

Really? It works for monsters - it's actually used in the PSX TC.

EDIT: Yeah, just checked. It should be:

actor PSXShotgun : Shotgun replaces Shotgun

Yeah, the problem is in having "Actor Blah : Blah" -- you make Blah derive from itself. Being one's own grandpa is never a good idea!

scalliano said:

You might want to view the sprites in your doom2.wad first using XWE to see which frame is missing.

I already know what frame is missing, it's the frame where the doom guy raises the shotgun.

scalliano said:

Mess around with the values and frames, save it as "DECORATE.TXT", put it in a zip file, change the file extension to .pk3 and load it up.

I am not sure how that would work since i want to run this with the PSX TC, and the TC uses Pk3 files and whatnot and uses a .BAT file to run.

Can't i just use that decorate stuff you listed to alter the content of the actual PSX Doom TC to get what i want?

A small DEHACKED frame diversion to one of the unused Doom2 states - such as one in the Pain Elemental respawn sequence - could easily achieve this.

hardcore_gamer said:

Can't i just use that decorate stuff you listed to alter the content of the actual PSX Doom TC to get what i want?

Of course you can.

Wait a sec here. Wouldn't it be possible to alter the sprite's offset (x,y) in Decorate? That way you could just as easily raise it off screen into visibility?

Then the shotgun would just disappear for a few tics, and reappear again. The actual DECORATE code needs to be changed to never show that frame.

To use the code, copy it into the DECORATE lump of the PSX TC.

(Though I'd think that you'd want to put more frames into all weapon animations, like Perkristian did, not remove them.)

OK, I've had a bit of a mess about with the PSX TC's DECORATE lump and come up with this:

Actor PSXShotgun : Shotgun Replaces Shotgun
{
Scale 0.92
States
{
Fire:
SHTG A 3
SHTG A 9 A_FireShotgun
SHTG B 3
SHTG C 3
SHTG D 11
SHTG C 3
SHTG B 3
SHTG A 9 A_ReFire
Goto Ready
}
}

Looks a bit different, but the fire/reload rate remains unchanged. At least to my naked eye, anyway.

scalliano said:

OK, I've had a bit of a mess about with the PSX TC's DECORATE lump and come up with this:

Actor PSXShotgun : Shotgun Replaces Shotgun
{
Scale 0.92
States
{
Fire:
SHTG A 3
SHTG A 9 A_FireShotgun
SHTG B 3
SHTG C 3
SHTG D 11
SHTG C 3
SHTG B 3
SHTG A 9 A_ReFire
Goto Ready
}
}

Looks a bit different, but the fire/reload rate remains unchanged. At least to my naked eye, anyway.

I just tested that and it actually looks very close to the PSX version good job!

But one thing it got wrong is the rate of fire, it's still the same as that of the PC version of Doom. If you look at the youtube video i linked to at the start of the thread then you would notice that the PSX Doom shotgun actually has a faster rate of fire then the shotgun in the PC version. If i remember correctly the reason for this was to make the game more easy since PSX Doom did not allow you to save your game during play.

Is there any way to make the shotgun fire as fast as the real PSX Shotgun? What part of the code controls the speed?

SHTG A 9 A_FireShotgun
See that 9 right here? That's the duration of the frame, in tics.

SHTG A 3
SHTG A 7 A_FireShotgun
SHTG BC 5
SHTG D 4
SHTG CB 5
SHTG A 7 A_ReFire
Goto Ready

Well ok. i got this working for the PSX DOOM TC now, how can i make this work for the PC version? The code is the same, but i assume the actor name is different.