Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Starke Von Oben

Zdoom slopes: pointed octagonal sector?

What would one have to build in zdoom order to create the roof shape in this image:

I understand how slopes work, I am just unable to figure out what sectors would need to be built. Perhaps someone could make a demo wad or a screenshot of what would need to be built?

Many thanks.

For such complex shapes vertex slopes are probably the best option. These are things you place directly on a vertex and set the z-height of the vertex. The only thing to look for is that all sectors to be sloped need to be triangles.

Draw the pyramid sectors (triangles around a dot) and apply slope specials only to the outer linedefs.

If you want the base of the slope to be higher than the ground, you'd have to apply Graf Zahl's method, or create an unnoticeable thin buffer sector around the pyramid with the height of the prism.

And if you're wanting to put it on top of a structure that is supposed to be accessible, you're going to want to use portals/stacked sectors.

In GZDoom, yeah. The OP didn't specify GZDoom, though, so I assume "vanilla" ZDoom.

Nomad said:

And if you're wanting to put it on top of a structure that is supposed to be accessible, you're going to want to use portals/stacked sectors.

I always encounter so many troubles with portals/stacked sectors. I would love to use them far more often, but they always end up causing HOM errors here and there and it's usually dependant on how complex I make my upper stacked sector (or lower one).

Are there any pointers to avoid when making stacked sectors?

Graf Zahl said:

For such complex shapes vertex slopes are probably the best option. These are things you place directly on a vertex and set the z-height of the vertex. The only thing to look for is that all sectors to be sloped need to be triangles.

Well, I just got up and tried this method. Though I can see it holds merit, the problem that occured was that only one of the sectors was raised while the rest remained flat (and causing a wierd HOM error with the one that was raised).

HELP!

When using the Vertex slope thing, have you made sure that there are no problems with your sectors?
Make sure that none of the 8 sectors are merged and that every sector thusly has only 3 vertexes.

This works just fine if done right.
Plane align works fine as well, tho it needs a bit more clicking on lines to get there, outcome is exactly the same tho.

Starke Von Oben said:

Well, I just got up and tried this method. Though I can see it holds merit, the problem that occured was that only one of the sectors was raised while the rest remained flat (and causing a wierd HOM error with the one that was raised).

HELP!

A quick example demonstrating vertex height slopes
http://www.sendspace.com/file/qcqb4u